Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Why don't I, a DE instructor, take up club racing?
It sounds like I will love it and I don't have enough time
28.28%
It sounds like I will love it and I already spend too much money on cars
56.57%
I like my car to look nice, and I am afraid I will hurt it
10.10%
I am afraid
14.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Why don't I club race?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 04:33 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Phillips
Full cage, HANS device, driver's suit, battery cutoff etc. all add up to another level of preparation (and cost) needed to club race.
Um... some of that stuff you should already have even if you are only doing DE's.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:36 PM
92tsiawd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wanted to ask how much contact to expect through a weekend of club racing, I'm sure there are some small bumps, nudges...how frequent do those happen?
Old 04-29-2009, 04:40 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 92tsiawd
I wanted to ask how much contact to expect through a weekend of club racing, I'm sure there are some small bumps, nudges...how frequent do those happen?
It depends which club you run with. Some clubs have a "rubbin' is racin'" type mentality and small bumps and nudges are to be expected.

PCA definitely doesn't. Small bumps and nudges will cause your race to be over (for both the nudgee and the nudger). The one who is at fault will also be sent home for the weekend and put on a 13 month probation. If that person was already on a 13 month probation, then he/she will be put on a 13 month suspension.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:10 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Great comments; thanks!
Just to clarify, I was looking for individuals to comment on why they don't race, rather than why Rick Betterley doesn't race (though I am not surprised I got some ).
I am glad to see that I haven't gotten any 'because you are a lousy driver and we don't want you on the track with us' responses!
(awaiting incoming round from VR/Dave).
I figure I would have to change my life around to get into racing (sell the cottage, for example) and that ain't going to happen (especially if I want to keep the lovely Joanie's support for my car lust).
Old 04-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
Great comments; thanks!
Just to clarify, I was looking for individuals to comment on why they don't race, rather than why Rick Betterley doesn't race (though I am not surprised I got some ).
I am glad to see that I haven't gotten any 'because you are a lousy driver and we don't want you on the track with us' responses!
This is what we like to tell the DE folks... Think about what makes a great DE run - usually it's when you hook up with somebody going the same speed as you, and you can play throughout the turns and figure out why somebody is faster in a few turns and see what they are doing. After a few laps, you can emulate them and all of a sudden, you've just gotten better and faster.

In a race setting, due to the gridding procedures, this happens the entire weekend long. Learning suddenly accelerates and you get much, much faster.

At DE's, you rarely have people going the same speed as you, and even if you do, traffic usually separates you too quickly. So, you end up going out on your own just driving in circles.

So, after a while, DE's actually cost more money because they stop becoming educational. At least that's what I tell myself when I pay the bills for racing
Old 04-29-2009, 05:23 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

I have to agree. Ive seen MANY more totalled cars in the DEs and 13/13 racing weekends than Ive ever seen in SCCA Club racing. For a few years it was very rare to even have a caution lap in our races or practices. this season, with a few new drivers we are getting a few, but the common denominator is that the incidents are driver error, alone! (time trial style of accidents).

Its all going to be a certain level of danger. But, if you pick your battles, the race groups can be much safer. think about it, in the race, the guys near you are grid'ed up by similar times. In DE, its like a free for all and everyone is just going all out, because they can! In the racer groups, we all run hard, but not at the limit until we have a clear track. The drivers are much more aware of traffic . So, in the end, after recently running a time trial group a couple of years ago, I have to say, the time trial/DE groups are down right scary! (if there is a lot of novice drivers and unprepared cars on a tight track). The other thing about racing a series, is that you get to know all the cars and drivers. By this, you can pretty accurately predict, who sees you , who wont, who will give a point by, who drives the line, etc. This predictability makes running in the race groups very very safe. (as far as driving on the track goes) . And, if you had a real expensive car and didnt want a ding, I would just start in the back of the pack, or on the Pole in the race if you didnt want any chances of getting touched in the, sometimes, dangerous crowded race starts. .

mk

Originally Posted by Brian P
I disagree. The number of single car incidents are probably lower at races than DE's (because racers are better drivers )

The number of multi-car incidents will tend to be higher because people driver much closer at races than they do at DE's, and this is especially true during the race start. Even then, the percentage isn't as different as you'd think.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:28 PM
DanR
Drifting

having just done my first race I am already less excited by the thought of DE next week. Dont get me wrong I am still looking forwards to being on the track but no doubt I will be thinking that is is not as exciting. So another reason for not racing could be that it will make your DE's less enjoyable (but I still think it is worth it - CR rocks and I am addicted and just off to sell a kidney to buy some new hoosiers!!!)
Old 04-29-2009, 05:31 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

A counterpoint (to myself and others who complain of cost/time commitments):

I can see myself dipping a toe in the water with a basic one-event rental. Get a race license and maybe rent an SRF or 944 spec/cup for a weekend -- not to win, just to race. The downside is that I might get hooked, and then I'll either spend my way to the poor house, or mope around knowing what I'm missing!
Old 04-29-2009, 06:08 PM
Porsche917K
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess my experience has just been different on DE's vs. club races. I do a lot of DE's and I typically see 1-2 cars a year get into an accident. Conversely, I typically attend 6-7 club races a year and see at least 1-2 cars tag a wall or another car at each event.

I could be wrong but it seems like in racing you will wreck a car eventually. Just a matter of when.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:16 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 549 Likes on 243 Posts

There are also a lot that have modded the car too much and they would have to go into a GT class in PCA.
NASA has a solution for this with their GTS class
Old 04-29-2009, 06:50 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

If your car is Alan Coleman's former one it alreadt has a few PCA firsts and seconds.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:01 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Phillips
Full cage, HANS device, driver's suit, battery cutoff etc. all add up to another level of preparation (and cost) needed to club race.

Greg Phillips
Um... some of that stuff you should already have even if you are only doing DE's.
I have had most, if not all of that in both race and DE cars. So have many of the red run group folks I have run with at PCA events. I wouldn't be comfortable running in an instructor level group without it.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:01 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RickBetterley
What the heck? You replied before I even got this posted!
Actually, the fear is - I will love it. And I have other loves in my life.
Now, if I had $ and didn't work...
I'm not working, thus I have no money ergo, I'm not racing this season
Old 04-29-2009, 07:03 PM
va122
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche917K
I guess my experience has just been different on DE's vs. club races. I do a lot of DE's and I typically see 1-2 cars a year get into an accident. Conversely, I typically attend 6-7 club races a year and see at least 1-2 cars tag a wall or another car at each event.

I could be wrong but it seems like in racing you will wreck a car eventually. Just a matter of when.
yup! don't bring a car to the track you can't afford to push off a cliff.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:45 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

For me it is crawl, walk, run.....and hopefully I will be running in June

Quick Reply: Why don't I club race?