Sponsored by:

Bedding in brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Bedding in brake pads

Since I run my car on the street and at the track, I have two different sets of pads for the car. OEM RS pads for street use and Performance Friction 01 race pads for track. The discs are OEM RS big reds. Now the question is, when I swap between the two different pads, should I bed them in allways or just when they are new?

TIA

Juha
Old 03-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When you bed, you transfer material from pad -> disc and you align the surface of the disc -> pad.
To get the most out of them, you should bed them.

Would be sad to come over the Ahvenisto Crest with lack of brakes....
Old 03-22-2009, 07:54 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

PFC01's do NOT require bedding.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 03-22-2009, 08:00 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
PFC01's do NOT require bedding.

According to PF they do require bedding but they do not recommend "dyno pre-burnishing" for the race application.

From PF website: "we have measured the highest performance and most consistent braking is achieved using Performance Friction compounds that have undergone our “Race Ready” factory processing, as are all PFC pads in 01, 97, 93, 90, 83 and 80 compound.

The best way to ensure consistent performance from your brake system is to use the discs and pads as they are manufactured by Performance Friction, and bed them on the raceetrack."

More info here: http://www.performancefriction.com/pages/race_apps.htm
And: http://www.performancefriction.com/p...burnishing.pdf

Magnus: Agreed, the turn after the crest is a scary one, even with good brakes.
Are you guys coming over this summer?
Old 03-22-2009, 08:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Juha G
According to PF they do require bedding but they do not recommend "dyno pre-burnishing" for the race application.

From PF website: "we have measured the highest performance and most consistent braking is achieved using Performance Friction compounds that have undergone our “Race Ready” factory processing, as are all PFC pads in 01, 97, 93, 90, 83 and 80 compound.

The best way to ensure consistent performance from your brake system is to use the discs and pads as they are manufactured by Performance Friction, and bed them on the raceetrack."

More info here: http://www.performancefriction.com/pages/race_apps.htm
And: http://www.performancefriction.com/p...burnishing.pdf

Nevertheless, ask anyone who drives/races with them. They do not require bedding.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:06 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Nevertheless, ask anyone who drives/races with them. They do not require bedding.

I can buy that but I doubt the racers swap different pads (street vs. race) on their cars like I do!? So if my brakes are bedded in with the street compound, they probably won't work well together with the race pads, unless I re-bed them... I really dunno, that's why I posted...
Old 03-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

i only ever run pfc 97's and I bed every set - there certainly isn't any harm.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:11 PM
Rassel
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Juha G
I have to, I got beaten by 0.1s.
Also, that's one h3ll of a fun track and the Finns are cool guys to hang with.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:53 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I switch from street to track pads, I find that a very short process (a few hard applications from 70 to 20-30mph) gets the pads ready to go. Easy to do on the out lap and not a big deal. This is with several different brands of race pads.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:07 PM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

Juha,

Since I always used Pagids on that car, I always used to bed them when I switched. I think that the PFCs don't "need" it, but I would do it anyway, to assure that when you start to fly on the track, the brakes will act like you expect them to. It only takes a few minutes.
After you have it on the track, please let me know how they compare to the Pagid Blacks that were on it before. I have only used PFCs on the GT3, so the 2 variables make comparison useless.
BTW, did you get your Motons repaired? All of my upgrades on the GT3 seems to be good on the street, but I'll be at VIR in about 4 weeks to give it a better trial.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:46 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 197 Posts

Chuck has a good point,anything that avoids "code brown" in a race is well worth the effort! Brakes not doing what they are supposed to when they are supposed to can be ...
Old 03-23-2009, 01:04 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

I dont have a lot of experience in bedding any other pads than the pagid oranges, but what I found was that its hard NOT to bed them on the track as the are pretty much gone after the first 2 laps. they stink, are smoking, and just dont work. 2 min in the hot pits, and back on the track, and the are fine. I try and bed them on the street doing about 20 100mph to 60 stops, and it helps a little, but nothing compares to bedding on the track. I thought that the main reason to bed them was to get all the resins out of them.
Im interested to see the difference in the Blacks Ill be runnng this next weekend.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:52 AM
KOAN
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 111 Posts

Mark,

Hold on tight...Blacks will be much better than Oranges. It sounds like you were exceeding the heat that the Oranges can take. FWIW, I do 10 60-20mph brakes, then an 80-20 mph brake and then cool them off. With Pagids that seems to work very well.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:00 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Consider this - the PFCs will remove any compound on the rotors from the OEM pads in short order. I always found that when I went from OEM pads to PFC 97s, just the drive from home to the track was enough to get the PFCs ready to run.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:26 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

+1 on PFC's not really requiring bedding. Pagids are different and need bedding.

When I swapped track pads from street pads, I would drive around for maybe 10-15 mins and did some progressively heavier braking and then let them cool in order to bed them but one or two times did none of that, just drove to the track and it was fine.

Now if your street pads (and hence rotors) are really grooved, you need to do some serious braking before you really get a good performance but I assume that's not the case.

Quick Reply: Bedding in brake pads