I FINALLY made it to TWS [plus video]

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 02:58 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by SG_M3
since we want on topic.

T1/T2: a couple of seconds before getting on the brakes.

T3: You can brake a little later

T4: Brake in the middle of the oval transition

T8: Way early braking,
One thing I should add - there was no way to correctly line up the feet-cam with the other video. These are two separate feeds, from two separate cameras. I downloaded them and just guessed where they should match up, and that pretty much dictacted where the braking points were. So, if I screwed up the first point, it is highly likely that the video would show early braking everywhere. However, it is just as likely that I was braking even earlier, and I moved the braking points in my favor

Originally Posted by deep_uv
In my car, I like to displace T5 with no braking which puts me further track right and more rotated to the left prior to turn in to T6. Due to the tight apex of T5, he appears to be pointed to the right with respect to the track surface prior to turn in of T6. He could be using more track on the right and rotated more to left there if he was carrying a wider arc through T5 to T6 and therefore carry more speed through T6. JMHO.
I tried the displaced method, but it seemed that reducing the distance, while keeping the same entry speed into 6 would yield a better time through the 5-6 complex. [i.e., less distance at the same speed is faster]. The hard part is getting your car rotated properly on this line to enter 6 without leaving room on the table (either entry or exit). I'm not sure I got it right once all weekend

-td
Old 01-27-2009, 03:16 AM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You shouldn't brake for T5 apexing it either. Apexing T5 makes it a lot harder to setup for the T6 entry, I agree with that. Its not a "novice" kind of thing, you're having to braking and rotate the car for the T6 entry at the same time. Its very uncomfortable the first couple of times. It takes practice, but I believe its faster. Anytime you can cut distance, without sacrificing speed, its going to help.

But different strokes for different folks. If a displaced T5 apex works for you, then by all means use it.
All good points.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:23 AM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by himself
I tried the displaced method, but it seemed that reducing the distance, while keeping the same entry speed into 6 would yield a better time through the 5-6 complex. [i.e., less distance at the same speed is faster]. The hard part is getting your car rotated properly on this line to enter 6 without leaving room on the table (either entry or exit). I'm not sure I got it right once all weekend

-td

I'm just learnin' and I struggle with rotating prior to T6. I just try to treat 5-6 as one turn meaning if I screw up 5, no way will I nail 6.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:27 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
******* Wayne, you obviously have no other intent in just dropping in on this thread other than to harass a single individual. I could care less whether you think it's justified or not, but its an obvious, childish prank, and it makes you look like a moron.

People like you are great at making goods thing stink, and typically have no clue that the other option - to make good things better - is even available. At least split the difference do no harm. If you can't appreciate the subtlety, then just take your pile of **** and shove it back up the hole it came out of.

Dick swinger , ***** washer .............................................

I talk so you can eat bwoy ......:.................................
Old 01-27-2009, 09:29 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Russell,
How do you like that data box, (that's one I was looking into)?
C
It's the lowest cost means to obtain data, so if cost is the primary concern, it's great. The recessed buttons are a little hard to feel with gloves on, and software interface is over done for the functionality (although the higher end Racelogic units use the same software).

I assume that even the higher priced alternatives share this characteristic: you don't just plug it in, have it do all the work, and spit out conclusions. You have to proactively use it as a tool during the actual track time (e.g. deliberately driving alternate lines through a given turn sequence, changing braking points, different tire pressures, etc.). Then off-track, you have take the time to align the data with those input variables. Even then, you don't have a perfect picture because other things such as traffic aren't accounted for. Bottom line, it's an expensive, but not outrageous toy if you don't use it to the fullest, and it's a great beginner's learning tool - but not a no-brainer performance enhancer - if you do. They should call it the LearnersBox instead of the PerformanceBox.

Good post.

In my car, I like to displace T5 with no braking
Anytime you can cut distance, without sacrificing speed, its going to help.
I tried the displaced method, but it seemed that reducing the distance, while keeping the same entry speed into 6 would yield a better time through the 5-6 complex.

-td
I'm just learnin' and I struggle with rotating prior to T6. I just try to treat 5-6 as one turn meaning if I screw up 5, no way will I nail 6.
When I was in the green run group, I was taught to apex T5 closer to the inside of the turn, and then take a straight line to the T6 turn-in. That way, I'm WOT from just after turn-in until braking for T6. Ends up being two distinct turns vs. one continuous motion. Maybe that's the novice line, but it still works for me.

I've never had the rotation challenges you guys have mentioned at T6. Maybe it's my AWD pulling me through? Or maybe you're reacting to the visual illusion caused by the fact that you're not approaching the turn straight on from - and parallel to - the far right hand side of the track? Try ignoring the right-hand edge of the asphalt that you're several feet away from, and don't worry about getting parallel to it prior to turn-in. Just focus on the turn-in and imagine that you're already riding an imaginary edge of the track all the way from your T5 apex. (I can tell that the LSR DE is right around the corner, as I'm already planning my strategy for on-track experimentation!!).

One thing I should add - there was no way to correctly line up the feet-cam with the other video. These are two separate feeds, from two separate cameras. I downloaded them and just guessed where they should match up, and that pretty much dictacted where the braking points were. So, if I screwed up the first point, it is highly likely that the video would show early braking everywhere. However, it is just as likely that I was braking even earlier, and I moved the braking points in my favor
Tom, check out this post for ideas on how to sync the two videos...
https://rennlist.com/forums/racing-a...irections.html

Last edited by ervtx; 01-27-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:16 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,565 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
******* Wayne, you obviously have no other intent in just dropping in on this thread other than to harass a single individual. I could care less whether you think it's justified or not, but its an obvious, childish prank, and it makes you look like a moron.

People like you are great at making goods thing stink, and typically have no clue that the other option - to make good things better - is even available. At least split the difference do no harm. If you can't appreciate the subtlety, then just take your pile of **** and shove it back up the hole it came out of.
Wayne is obviously sleeping with Ryan. Clearly he likes guys who look like Big Bird, and not just smarmy little Spaniards. He also hates how I tear him a new one each time one of his totally uneducated prognostications proves untrue. Hell, by his own admission, he has never even been on a racetrack at speed in his life.

Quite simply, he is a "mee tooer" oxygen thief.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Watkins
George and Dave,
Thanks for the entertainment and the reminder to renew my licence. George take the skirt off and race the TWS event. The wimparriffic Boxsters can't keep up with you, but should be able to dip into the low 1:57s high 1:56s after a year of development and seat time.
Steve
LMAO! I am renewing mine now.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:19 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Dick swinger , ***** washer .............................................
Your lifestyle choices should remain private, buttwaxer.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:21 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Steve Watkins
George and Dave,
Thanks for the entertainment and the reminder to renew my licence. George take the skirt off and race the TWS event. The wimparriffic Boxsters can't keep up with you, but should be able to dip into the low 1:57s high 1:56s after a year of development and seat time.
Steve
Steve, I'm going to try to make it. Work is the only thing that can stand in my way. I think you can get there with the Boxsters (hell, I need to get one...). After driving Jay's, I'm a believer.

Speaking of skirts, where were you a couple of weeks ago? I thought you were going to bring the RSA so that I would have someone to play with... Instead I had a blast running with John in Noby's car.

G.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:23 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

I just want to know why Wayne thinks I am the student?

I am the teacher and Dave has yet to ****** the pebble from my hand....

G.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Respectfully, I'd offer another perspective on 5-6. In my car, I like to displace T5 with no braking which puts me further track right and more rotated to the left prior to turn in to T6. Due to the tight apex of T5, he appears to be pointed to the right with respect to the track surface prior to turn in of T6. He could be using more track on the right and rotated more to left there if he was carrying a wider arc through T5 to T6 and therefore carry more speed through T6. JMHO.
Ed Zachary. Glad I waded through all the kindergarten recess posts to find this one - saved me from typing up the exact same thing.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George A

G.
LMAO! True....but it's only because I fear catching something if I even come close to touching your hand.

I just read Sean's comments--he is pretty much spot-on. the T5 debate has 2 valid sides IMO. The key is not whether you apex 5 or not. The key is allowing the car to rotate properly so it is more or less straight before turn-in for 6.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:31 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

G.
“When I left [both of] you, I was but the learner, now I am the master.”
- Darth

Well, that's my long term goal, anyway.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:42 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
LMAO! True....but it's only because I fear catching something if I even come close to touching your hand.
Here, smell my finger...

G.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:42 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Here, smell my finger...

G.
Which one? Each one has been in a different of your orifices.

Quick Reply: I FINALLY made it to TWS [plus video]