Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In car digital video from all four directions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 10:54 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In car digital video from all four directions?

Have any of you installed a video camera setup in your race car that enables you to record digital video from all four directions (front, rear, right and left)? If so, what kind of setup are you running?

Any other feedback regarding how well you like the setup, what kind of video editing is involved, etc would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 11-28-2008, 11:07 PM
RQ_GT3
Instructor

Not video but I was just reading yesterday (in Grassroots Motorsports) about a DAS that showed yaw / drift. I'm guessing 2 inertia sensors talking to each other. That would be useful for me.

Other than that I did pay a bunch for a quad camera, initially installed 2 and then dumped it and reverted to 1 camera.

Problem was that multi-cams are not separate inputs recorded separately (so you can see one or the other) but rather a compound system (so you see them all in a split because its a single recording).

Getting 1 recorder per camera or having reduced resolution but multi cam recording is up to individual needs I suppose.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:11 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Not sure about four cameras into one, but the chasecam with the SS1000 split screen video processor lets you do two cameras at once. It should be simple enough (but pricey) to set up two SS1000's and then have four angles.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:44 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

What has gotten me thinking about this are the relatively inexpensive Aiptek digital recorders. If I were to install four of them in my race car, then I would have four separate full resolution video streams. However, if I were to go this route, the following initial questions come to mind:

1. For ease of use, would there be a way to start and stop all four cameras all at the same time? Probably not. But, I suppose I could manually start each camera just before getting strapped in for any given run session and then manually stop them when I finish the session. This would only be worth it if there is an answer to my question posed in #2 ( how to sync the separate video streams).

2. If I recorded the four separate video streams, is there any software out there that would enable me to sync up the four streams and produce videos that would switch from one feed to another AND tie in split screen output showing two to four of the separate video streams?

I am also aware of the Chase Cam setup, however, I do agree that running four of those bullet cameras with all of the necessary additional hardware would be expensive!!

Jeff
Old 11-28-2008, 11:52 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

What would you use the right and left video for? I can understand the front and back, but I'm trying to figure out the right and left??

There is tons and tons of video editing software. Windows Vista comes with a very simple and easy to use editing software called Windos Movie Maker. Apple computers come with even better software as part of their operating system. I don't know if either of those allow for split screen, but there is commercially available software that would allow you to do that?

How much are the Aiptek and how long will they record? Another inexpensive option might be the GoPro Motorsports Hero. They just came out with a new wide version (170 degree view) and I'm told that they are working on upgrading the firmware so it can handle a 4 gig card (vs. the current 2 gig) that would basically double the recording time (from 56 minutes to 2 hours.)

The only way that I know to start the GoPro would be to do so by hand. I have two of them (one on the front bumper (regular viewing angle) and one that I mount on the window right behind my head (this is the wide angle) this view captures the dashboard, the road/track ahead and if angled correctly, will get your shifts too.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:57 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Woulda been some very exciting video last race weekend if I'da had a camera pointing out right, where the Volvo t-boned me!

I'm using a dual camera setup, cheaper than the Chasecam but a little more high-maintenance. Every time we power up the PIP quad processor, it defaults into quad mode (2x2 grid of video signals), and we have to switch it over to PIP mode. The Chasecam setup is superior since it has switches to set this all the time. We also sometimes have problems with the quad processor dropping its settings or otherwise flaking out, so I always have to check setup after the first session of a weekend, make sure everything's right.

OTOH, if all you want is a quad video signal - piece of cake! Just get an inexpensive quad processor (such as from Fleabay) and 4 decent cameras, one recorder (camcorder, DVR, or whatever). As noted, they'll be recorded as quadrants of one big picture. So you'll want a pretty high-res recorder to get a decent image out of any of them.

I have seen some comments that make me think that some quads have the ability to post-process the video signal and pull out one of the 4 video streams and blow it back up to full-size - but I'm not sure, haven't ever tried it with mine.

It would also seem that it should be possible to get some rather expensive/fancy video processing software to do the same, after the fact. But I'm cheap and use the free stuff.

As for getting 4 (separate) recorders to start recording at the same time... some recorders, such as the DVR I have, have the ability to start recording only when a video signal is present. Simple task here, just power all the cameras from the same switch, turn on all recorders first, then switch on the bullet cams. Then, excepting any individual lag differences from the recorders, you'll be all set.

BTW, the recorder I use is a Neuros MPEG Recorder 2+ - they go for around $80 on Amazon, no screen or battery, require external power source, and record to a flash card. That's easily cheap enough you could run 4 independant if you like.

The quad processor I run (make sure you get one for color!!!) is capable of doing dual PIP, not just single as I have. I may pick up another camera some day and use that for a cockpit view, if I get motivated...

YMMV!
Old 11-29-2008, 10:44 AM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Originally Posted by 993-C4S
What would you use the right and left video for? I can understand the front and back, but I'm trying to figure out the right and left??
From what I have seen, most video camera lenses can only record up to a 90 to 120 degree angle. So, when the front and rear cameras are positioned, that will definitely give me most of the video I will be looking for, however, there will be 50 to 90 degrees of dead spots on each side of the car. So, there are two main reasons I think I would like to have some good side footage:

1. We all know how we have been in some great side-by-side battles whether they are brief or extended and it sure would be great not to have the other car get mostly lost in the dead spots on either side of my car.

2. Since I drive a car that is fairly light but doesn't have much power (only 250hp and 216tq to the rear wheels), I end up having to do a lot of passing with late braking. This will result in some great side video that might get somewhat lost with only front and rear cameras. Plus, and hopefully this will never happen, in the event of an incident where the other driver doesn't see me and accidentally turns down on me even though I am well along side (past the point where my front wheels is even with the door), the side video might help sort things out. I hope never to experience Vaughn's experience of getting T boned!!!

Of course, if there are cameras out there that can do a good job of recording a full 180 degrees, then I would be able to get away with using only two of those types of cameras.

How much are the Aiptek and how long will they record?
According to the Aiptek website, most of their cameras can use up to a 32 gig SD card which would give them many hours of recording time.

Another inexpensive option might be the GoPro Motorsports Hero. They just came out with a new wide version (170 degree view) and I'm told that they are working on upgrading the firmware so it can handle a 4 gig card (vs. the current 2 gig) that would basically double the recording time (from 56 minutes to 2 hours.)
I'll have to take a look at those. The 170 degree lens sounds pretty cool, however, being limited to a max capacity of using only up to 4 gig SD cards sounds like it might be a bit of a pain (because two hours probably won't be enough for just one day of recording on most days).

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 11-29-2008, 10:51 AM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Originally Posted by 924RACR
Woulda been some very exciting video last race weekend if I'da had a camera pointing out right, where the Volvo t-boned me!
Sorry to hear about that. I sure hope the damage isn't too bad. From a safety standpoint, it is good that you didn't get T-boned on the left side.

The quad processor I run (make sure you get one for color!!!) is capable of doing dual PIP, not just single as I have. I may pick up another camera some day and use that for a cockpit view, if I get motivated...
Out of curiosity, what brand and model of cameras and quad processor are you running?

Thanks for the feedback!!
Jeff
Old 11-29-2008, 01:06 PM
993-C4S
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Jeff Lamb
From what I have seen, most video camera lenses can only record up to a 90 to 120 degree angle. So, when the front and rear cameras are positioned, that will definitely give me most of the video I will be looking for, however, there will be 50 to 90 degrees of dead spots on each side of the car. So, there are two main reasons I think I would like to have some good side footage:

1. We all know how we have been in some great side-by-side battles whether they are brief or extended and it sure would be great not to have the other car get mostly lost in the dead spots on either side of my car.

2. Since I drive a car that is fairly light but doesn't have much power (only 250hp and 216tq to the rear wheels), I end up having to do a lot of passing with late braking. This will result in some great side video that might get somewhat lost with only front and rear cameras. Plus, and hopefully this will never happen, in the event of an incident where the other driver doesn't see me and accidentally turns down on me even though I am well along side (past the point where my front wheels is even with the door), the side video might help sort things out. I hope never to experience Vaughn's experience of getting T boned!!!

Of course, if there are cameras out there that can do a good job of recording a full 180 degrees, then I would be able to get away with using only two of those types of cameras.

According to the Aiptek website, most of their cameras can use up to a 32 gig SD card which would give them many hours of recording time.

I'll have to take a look at those. The 170 degree lens sounds pretty cool, however, being limited to a max capacity of using only up to 4 gig SD cards sounds like it might be a bit of a pain (because two hours probably won't be enough for just one day of recording on most days).

Thanks,
Jeff
Jeff,

To be clear, the curren GoPro only allows for 2gig card (56) minutes recording. There is talk of them upgrading to allow for a 4gig, but it hasn't happened yet. However, the cards are so darn cheap you could by 4 of them and just swap it out when full.

I just received my GoPro wide and I'm still playing with it. Once done, I'll write up a review on my blog and post a link to it. So far, I've found it very easy to use with some pretty cool features, and the wide viewing angle is great. Cons are what you would expect for an inexpensive camera, memory capability is not enough, no auto on (so combine this with small memory and you could use a lot of your recording time just sitting in the grid).

More to follow.
Old 11-29-2008, 01:31 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 67 Posts

Only 250hp... Only 250hp! Gag me!!!

I have an off-brand quad processor, and the cameras are Sonys IIRC... but only 320 TV lines I would like a new camera to be 520 lines or better...

Quad processor looks exactly like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/4-CH-Digital-CCT...3A1|240%3A1318

But bought in MI from this guy:
http://stores.ebay.com/Dennis6z7a

He does packages too (here's one with that quad)...
http://cgi.ebay.com/520-Res-Cam-Sony...QQcmdZViewItem

PS - car's not too bad - on the rack now, will be back straight in time for the spring... and ready to sell...
Old 11-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

I just received my GoPro wide and I'm still playing with it. Once done, I'll write up a review on my blog and post a link to it.
Sounds great. I look forward to reading your review. The GoPro wide does sound like it has some nice features.

Jeff
Old 11-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Only 250hp... Only 250hp! Gag me!!!
That was too funny!! After I submitted my post, I actually thought about your car and I was thinking -> "I bet Vaughn would LOVE to have 250hp at the rear wheels!!"

Unfortunately, in the classes my car runs in (PCA GT3 or NASA GTS4) I could use more power and torque. I also have gotten used to the extreme power to weight ratio of my 125 shifter kart and I miss that. Plus, one of my best racing friends owns a really nice twin turbo PCA GT1 race car that produces over 850hp and gobs of torque. So . . . when viewing the world from that perspective, you can see what I mean about the slippery slope of wanting MORE POWER!!

Oh . . . and thanks for your additional feedback regarding the video equipment. This is very educational.

Jeff
Old 11-29-2008, 02:08 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A simpler approach might be to mount a single camera with a super wide lens to the front of the roof, lookign toward the rear. To give you some idea of what's possible, take a look at this video http://vimeo.com/1147462?pg=embed&sec=1147462

The camera with superwide lens was mounted on the rider's helmet. OnboardCamera.it is a TrackVision partner, so I can get more details on the lens. Looks like it would give you what you are after with a single PIP.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:34 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Originally Posted by APKhaos
A simpler approach might be to mount a single camera with a super wide lens to the front of the roof, lookign toward the rear. To give you some idea of what's possible, take a look at this video http://vimeo.com/1147462?pg=embed&sec=1147462
Wow. Now that lens sure lives up to its reputation of being SUPER wide!! It looked to me like the lens was geting almost a 270 degree field of vision. However, after watching the video, I know you mention the camera is mounted right on top of the rider's helmet, but somehow the camera looks like it is floating a few feet above the rider which makes for an interesting vantage point. This looks like a promising solution, however, I would need to get used to the distorted video.

Jeff
Old 11-30-2008, 12:28 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeff Lamb
What has gotten me thinking about this are the relatively inexpensive Aiptek digital recorders. If I were to install four of them in my race car, then I would have four separate full resolution video streams.

Jeff
Jeff,

I have done almost exactly that, but for two vs. four cameras. See the link below for an example split scene video. In this one, I wanted to evaluate my hands and feet, so one is positioned near the roof line pointed downwards, while the other is pointed straight out the front windshield...

http://www.vimeo.com/2382617

Just two separate camcorders - (a Sony HDV and a Sony DV). Combined the two separate videos using Quicktime Pro (I think I paid about $45 for it several years ago). I had to manually sync the two videos, but it was not very difficult. The effort to add two more video streams would be minimal - might even make things easier in terms of evening out the final aspect ratio.

Quick Reply: In car digital video from all four directions?