Sponsored by:

2009 F1 Season , Testing , News and Updates

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2009 | 07:26 PM
ew928
Owns the Streets
Needs Camber
Lifetime Rennlist

Think I read on F1 website that the 2009 aero package could benefit from some weight on the front end.
So reinforce the snowplough win and nose to better shove other drivers out of the way for that critical win.
Old 03-19-2009 | 08:47 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm waiting for the FIA to change the points system again before the end of next week and before the first race to make my prediction. ......... and I'm not joking..... there's a good chance the FOTA will put pressure to get rid of the silly "most wins rule" and go back to the 12-9-etc. points that the teams want.

If the rule doesn't change before the start of the season, then you have a clearly defined #1 in McLaren and Renault -- clearly the way you want to go if you don't want to split the wins between teammates.

The question is if the winner takes all rule stays, who will emerge at Ferrari? I'm betting Massa comes back stronger than ever having almost tasted the WDC last year. On the other hand I see Kimi bouncing back from a sluggish 2008. So more than likely they split the wins which means neither one will be WDC.

BMW is another team without a clear #1. Kubica SHOULD be the #1, but the Germans love Heidfeld for some unknown reason.

My pick could be Trulli
Old 03-19-2009 | 10:49 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete
I'm waiting for the FIA to change the points system again before the end of next week and before the first race to make my prediction. ......... and I'm not joking..... there's a good chance the FOTA will put pressure to get rid of the silly "most wins rule" and go back to the 12-9-etc. points that the teams want.

If the rule doesn't change before the start of the season, then you have a clearly defined #1 in McLaren and Renault -- clearly the way you want to go if you don't want to split the wins between teammates.

The question is if the winner takes all rule stays, who will emerge at Ferrari? I'm betting Massa comes back stronger than ever having almost tasted the WDC last year. On the other hand I see Kimi bouncing back from a sluggish 2008. So more than likely they split the wins which means neither one will be WDC.

BMW is another team without a clear #1. Kubica SHOULD be the #1, but the Germans love Heidfeld for some unknown reason.

My pick could be Trulli
Always clear with your picks ohhh poignant one ...........................

less see.......... you pick
1. KImi
2. Massa
3. Trulli ....................... To win !

Or faint possibility Kubica ........................... Fair enuff !
Old 03-19-2009 | 10:55 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

My pick could be Trulli

Maybe they will raise their IQ's to the SCCA level and introduce a coin toss to decide starting grids.

Professional Racing and Driving Coach
Old 03-19-2009 | 11:00 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Maybe Bighead will now have Nakajema as his winning Pick .............

Nakajima flies as F1 testing ends

By Pablo Elizalde Thursday, March 19th 2009, 16:37 GMT

Kazuki Nakajima, Williams, Jerez testingKazuki Nakajima set the quickest time of the week at the Jerez circuit, as Formula 1 testing came to an end for the 2009 season.

Nakajima's 1:17.494 lap was nearly four tenths of a second quicker than the previous best, set by Brawn GP's Jenson Button on Tuesday.

The Williams FW31's strong pace added more intrigue ahead of the start of the season in Melbourne in less than two weeks' time.

Nakajima finished ahead of McLaren's Heikki Kovalainen, who set the British squad's best time of the week after 84 laps. The Finn's day ended a few minutes early after his car stopped on track.

With in-season testing banned this year, Jerez's test was the final one for several months.

Today's times:

Pos Driver Team Time Laps
1. Nakajima Williams-Toyota (B) 1:17.494 102
2. Kovalainen McLaren-Mercedes (B) 1:17.946 84
Old 03-19-2009 | 11:58 PM
wanna911
Race Car

My pick could be Trulli

I hope so.

why couldnt they have just a LITTLE bit of sense and just make a win 15 points or something which would basically achieve the same affect without allowing a guy to lay an egg in many races and still win the championship.

I swear I wish I could ask these dudes what they are thinking. I wont believe that you'll get a room full of people to agree on a rule like that.
Old 03-20-2009 | 01:01 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey, Nakajima.... not bad...... could be a dark horse.

Wayne, check the British bookies odds to see who they have as favorites.
Old 03-20-2009 | 01:03 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Pete ,
4 different picks ! Heck throw in Nakajema and make it 5 and you still won't make a bet ....
Old 03-20-2009 | 09:50 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm still waiting for the rule changes and the more I see who's against it, the more I hold out hope that it will go back BEFORE the season starts:

Hamilton disagrees with new rules
20 March 2009

World Champion Lewis Hamilton is the latest in long list of people to express his dissatisfaction over the latest regulation changes imposed by the FIA; the governing body's latest decision means that the driver who wins most Grands Prix during the season will become Champion, as opposed to scoring the most World Championship points.

For the record, Hamilton would not be Champion were the new system applied to last year's final results. Although the FIA has come under severe criticism by modifying the rules at late notice, Hamilton is unhappy with the system itself.

"I don't really like it," he explained to Germany's Bild. "We want to be consistently good, whether we are first or third. It should be about the team and driver being the best as a unit over the course of a full season, not about who wins the most races."
Old 03-20-2009 | 09:52 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Have I mentioned that Vettel is on my mind too.....

More evidence there is a wave of support to overturn the "Most Wins" rule: When Monti speaks, people listen....

Di Montezemolo furious over rule changes
20 March 2009

Ferrari President, Luca di Montezemolo, is both angered and disappointed over the nature in which the FIA imposed Formula One's latest rule changes on Monday. The sport's governing body, following their meeting in Paris, decided that the most race wins will now yield a driver the title, as well as introducing a budget cap for 2010.

"I find it really absurd, serious and dangerous that, one week before the start of the season, we have created a situation of this nature," the Italian explained to Rome's AFP agency. "It is very negative for our credibility, the teams, the constructors, the supporters, the journalists and sponsors. I would like this climate to become more responsible, as the teams have already reduced their costs by 50 percent."

Di Montezemelo, who is also chairman of the Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA), is particularly unhappy as all teams agreed to changes as well as proposing their own new scoring system at the beginning of this month. "It's important to create a more serene climate and to avoid continuously changing the rules," he continued. "It provokes trouble and worries for those doing the work."

His comments echo the sentiments of other big F1 names including former champions Fernando Alonso and Michael Schumacher.
Old 03-20-2009 | 08:30 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

As I said, I'm waiting for the FIA to change the points system again before the end of next week.... How you like me now Wayneo.

'Points system cannot be changed'
20 March 2009

The Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) has responded to the FIA's latest rule changes following a consultation of the rule book. FOTA's own meeting earlier this month resulted in the teams unanimously developing a new points system which was subsequently denied, and the committee believes that the FIA do not have the right to impose new rules so soon before the start of the season.

The governing body's meeting in Paris on Monday resulted in the decision being made stating that the Drivers' World Championship of 2009 onwards will be decided upon the number of Grands Prix won, as opposed to the greatest numbers of points scored. Although FOTA agreed in Geneva to the idea of 12-9-7 points for the top three positions, the teams have made clear that it is too late for the FIA to change the system without their approval.

A FOTA statement read: "The amendment to the sporting regulations proposed by the World Motorsport Council (WMSC) was not performed in accordance with the procedure provided for by Appendix 5 of the Sporting Regulations and, as per the provisions of the article 199 of the FIA International Sporting Code, it is too late for FIA to impose a change for the 2009 season that has not obtained the unanimous agreement of all the competitors properly entered into the 2009 Formula 1 Championship.

"Since the change to the scoring system unanimously agreed by the teams and proposed to FIA did not receive approval of the WMSC, no change can occur in 2009, and the teams wish to reaffirm their willingness to collaborate with the FIA in order to jointly define a new points system for the 2010 season within a comprehensive set of measures aimed at further stimulating the attractiveness of the F1 sport."

A new FIA statement is expected regarding the issue.
Old 03-20-2009 | 08:33 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Maybe Bighead will now have Nakajema as his winning Pick .............
Wayne, The FIA backpedals faster than you during a post race conference.

FIA willing to postpone championship rule
20 March 2009

The FIA has said that if the Formula 1 teams are not willing to accept the proposed rule where the driver who scored the most race wins in a season will become the F1 champion the FIA is willing to introduce this rule in 2010.

In a statement issued by the FIA the FIA said that "on 17 March, the FIA World Motor Sport Council unanimously rejected FOTA's proposed amendment to the points system for the Formula One Drivers' Championship. The 'winner takes all' proposal made by the commercial rights holder (who had been told that the teams were in favour) was then approved.

"If, for any reason, the Formula One teams do not now agree with the new system, its implementation will be deferred until 2010."
Old 03-20-2009 | 08:57 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Wayne, The FIA backpedals faster than you during a post race conference.

FIA willing to postpone championship rule
20 March 2009

The FIA has said that if the Formula 1 teams are not willing to accept the proposed rule where the driver who scored the most race wins in a season will become the F1 champion the FIA is willing to introduce this rule in 2010.

In a statement issued by the FIA the FIA said that "on 17 March, the FIA World Motor Sport Council unanimously rejected FOTA's proposed amendment to the points system for the Formula One Drivers' Championship. The 'winner takes all' proposal made by the commercial rights holder (who had been told that the teams were in favour) was then approved.

"If, for any reason, the Formula One teams do not now agree with the new system, its implementation will be deferred until 2010."
Talk , talk , talk.....Still waiting for a bet Pete .....................

Last edited by A.Wayne; 03-20-2009 at 11:36 PM.
Old 03-21-2009 | 12:21 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Talk , talk , talk.....Still waiting for a bet Pete .....................
I must have missed your pick Wayne. Who (in your opinion) is going to be WDC in '09?
Old 03-21-2009 | 02:45 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ray S
I must have missed your pick Wayne. Who (in your opinion) is going to be WDC in '09?

Patience Ray , Patience ....... Australian GP all will be revealed with a Poll of course ..

My bet Pete will give his usually opaque pick and then claim he had no bet as he did last year ....

Last edited by A.Wayne; 03-21-2009 at 03:05 PM.

Quick Reply: 2009 F1 Season , Testing , News and Updates