2009 F1 Season , Testing , News and Updates

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 03:00 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diffuser row grows ahead of Melbourne

Ohhh ohh......Ferrari smells something :p....................................

By Jonathan Noble Saturday, March 21st 2009, 10:31 GMT

Brawn's innovative diffuser, 2009, JerezThe growing row over diffuser designs in Formula 1 appears to be heading for a showdown protest at the Australian Grand Prix, with the FIA saying it is now too late to resolve the matter before the start of the season.

The designs of the diffusers on the Brawn, Toyota and Williams have led to questions from rival teams, who think the trio are unfairly using a bigger diffuser than was originally intended by the regulations.

So far the FIA has said that it believes the designs are within the wording of the regulations, but the matter has moved up a gear with at least one team believed to have written to the governing body to state its belief that the design is illegal.

Now, FIA president Max Mosley has said that he thinks the matter can only be sorted out in Australia - because it is too late to organise a formal hearing before the first race.

In an interview with The Daily Telegraph on Saturday, Mosley said: "It's a very clever device and you can make a very good case for saying that it's legal and a very good case for saying that it's illegal. It's going to be difficult.

"What's actually happened is that teams are saying 'We think it's illegal for this and this reason.'

"If there had been more time before the detailed objections to the system were sent in, I would probably have sent it to the FIA Court of Appeal before Australia. And actually I have given thought to that this week. But there isn't time. It wouldn't be fair. I think the thing will probably come to some sort of a head in Australia."

The most likely outcome from the current situation is that one or more teams may choose to lodge a protest at the first race of the season - either once scrutineering has taken place on Thursday or after the finish of the race.

Mosley added: "One possibility is that all the teams agree that it is illegal, and therefore all the teams shouldn't have it from Barcelona. But then those teams who say it is legal will say 'Why should we do that?' And those that say it's illegal will say 'Why should we lose an advantage for four races?'

"And so probably what will happen is it will end up going to the stewards, who will make a decision. That will almost certainly be appealed by whichever side is disadvantaged. And then that will go to our Court of Appeal and be hammered out.

"It's not straightforward. I have an open mind on it at the moment - I can see it going either way. I really can. But somebody has to make their mind up and fortunately it's not my job."

Pic1- Brawn
Pic2 - Mac
Pic-3 Brawn
Pic -4 Renault
Attached Images     
Old 03-21-2009, 03:02 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default New points system may be postponed until 2010 season

Hey Pete ................We await your Ferrari Pick .............................

F1-technical .Net :

The FIA is willing to postpone the new points system until the 2010 race season, since the new system has not been welcomed by FOTA. And a few drivers including current World Champion Lewis Hamilton question the way the Drivers Championship is decided, whereas the driver with the most wins is crowed with the title. This has led to a possible change in the implementation date by the series' governing body.

Official FIA Statement:
"On 17 March, the FIA World Motor Sport Council unanimously rejected FOTA’s proposed amendment to the points system for the Formula One Drivers’ Championship. The ‘winner takes all’ proposal made by the commercial rights holder (who had been told that the teams were in favour) was then approved.

"If, for any reason, the Formula One teams do not now agree with the new system, its implementation will be deferred until 2010."
Old 03-22-2009, 10:24 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Ferrari to race KERS in Melbourne

By Jonathan Noble Saturday, March 21st 2009, 11:43 GMT

Ferrari has given its Kinetic Energy Recovery System (KERS) the sign-off for use from next weekend's Australian Grand Prix, AUTOSPORT can reveal.

Following successful tests of the system during its pre-season development programme, Ferrari is heading to the race in Melbourne intending for both Felipe Massa and Kimi Raikkonen to have KERS fitted to their cars.

Ferrari is the second team to confirm its KERS will be used in Melbourne, with Renault having announced earlier this week that it would use it in Australia.

BMW Sauber has also said that its system is race-ready, but the team is not yet decided about whether it will be used.

Although Ferrari admitted at the start of the development of the F60 that its KERS system was late, the team has made good progress since then - despite a few issues in testing.

Technical director Aldo Costa said the team's plan from the start was always to have KERS ready for Australia, although a contingency plan had been put in place.

"The objective is to arrive at the first race with a functioning and competitive KERS, but we also have a B plan: not a different car but a version without KERS," he said in January.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:29 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Ecclestone claims Mclaren sandbagging

http://en.f1-live.com/f1/en/headline...22155843.shtml

Bernie Ecclestone on Sunday suggested McLaren's pre-season lack of pace may have been overstated - even by the British team.

In the run to next Sunday's Australian Grand Prix, it has emerged that the MP4-24 is not a world-beater, reportedly suffering from aerodynamic flaws.

But while the works Mercedes squad has been quite open about its winter struggle, F1's Chief Executive floated the theory that an element of sandbagging may have been in play.

"I think you will find that they are still very competitive in Melbourne," Ecclestone told the Sunday Telegraph.

He added that he believes the Woking-based team is ‘not at all’ in serious trouble.

"Let's put it this way, there's been no need for them to show that they're quick," the Briton added.

But while McLaren's Melbourne form may be unclear, Ecclestone does not think the astonishing test pace of the former Honda team Brawn GP has been a false guide to the 2009 season.

"Now they aren't sandbagging or joking," he said.

So there you have it Button fans ..............he could be WDC
Old 03-22-2009, 10:39 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,477 Likes on 2,072 Posts

Wayno,
I know you wait for me to give you my insight into the winner of the 2009 WDC, and I admire as you eagerly wait by my knee like a good dog, but you'll have to be patient whilst the FIA "Officially" back pedal and get rid of the "most wins rule". Should happen no later than Tues.

In the meantime, keep up what you do best; cutting and pasting, offering no insight into anything that WILL happen, only what has happened in the past and hanging on Alonso's jock.

PS: Don't forget to post your favorite youtube videos....
Old 03-23-2009, 08:28 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete
Wayno,
I know you wait for me to give you my insight into the winner of the 2009 WDC, and I admire as you eagerly wait by my knee like a good dog, but you'll have to be patient whilst the FIA "Officially" back pedal and get rid of the "most wins rule". Should happen no later than Tues.

In the meantime, keep up what you do best; cutting and pasting, offering no insight into anything that WILL happen, only what has happened in the past and hanging on Alonso's jock.

PS: Don't forget to post your favorite youtube videos....
Thanks for the details Pete , but even with a google translator there still appears to be no prediction nor Bet....
Now i'm willing to accept the garble you paste around here as insight and I'm sure all your 4th grade buddies thinks so too now man up and give me a bet baby doll ....

Last edited by A.Wayne; 03-23-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 09:37 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

How much more clear can I be? I said I'm waiting for the official word on the points rule! Where is your prediction and bet? That seems to be lost in all your hot air
Old 03-23-2009, 10:19 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pete
How much more clear can I be? I said I'm waiting for the official word on the points rule! Where is your prediction and bet? That seems to be lost in all your hot air
The new point system has been P-O-S-T-P-O-N-E-D UNTIL 2010
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73840

Enuff hot air for your Ballon head ?
Old 03-23-2009, 10:40 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Perhaps Woking hasn't yet received the latest Ferrari design info, which might explain their "struggle"; Braun on the other hand has it all in his head!
Old 03-23-2009, 10:43 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Default Brundle tips Alonso to shine in 2009

By Pablo Elizalde Monday, March 23rd 2009, 10:07 GMT

Former GP driver Martin Brundle believes Fernando Alonso will be one of the favourites to win this year's title if the Renault is as good as the Spaniard hopes.

Although the French squad has not been the fastest in winter testing, Brundle reckons its pace has been very consistent and, having been able to improve its engine during the break, could be among the front-runners.

"Renault seem quite perky and, as ugly as the R29 looks, it appears to have solid pace," Brundle told the BBC.

"Renault - and Red Bull, who are also powered by Renault - will have 0.2 seconds per lap improvement relative to their rivals because they were allowed to modify their engine over the winter.

"They demonstrated that they were running with less power last season because they had interpreted the development freeze more literally. The upshot was the other teams agreed they could upgrade their 2009 engine.

"Whether Alonso has got a car capable of winning the world championship I don't know, but he seems confident that he has.

"If he's right then he has all the other ingredients needed to win third world title."

Brundle also thinks Renault has the best driver of the field in Alonso, who the Briton believes has no weaknesses behind the wheel.

"I don't see many weaknesses in Alonso when he is behind the wheel - he has the full deck of cards," he added.

"Right now the 27-year-old is the most complete F1 driver out there in my view. He is in the Michael Schumacher and Alain Prost mould - and they won 11 titles between them."
Old 03-23-2009, 11:27 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ah, it's good to see that Brundle holds Schmacher as the gold standard.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:30 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
The new point system has been P-O-S-T-P-O-N-E-D UNTIL 2010
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/73840

Enuff hot air for your Ballon head ?
There is still a struggle for WHICH points system will be impremented this year. FIA reverted back to the old system of 10-8, etc. FOTA wants teh 12-9- system.

Points situation embarrassing, says Domenicali
23 March 2009

The disagreement over Formula 1's scoring system is nothing more than a humiliation to the sport, according to Ferrari Team Principal Stefano Domenicali. The FIA introduced a 'winner takes all' system last week, only to defer to FOTA before announcing that the system would be in place for 2010.

The Formula One Teams' Association (FOTA) proposed its ideas for a 12-9-7 system for the first three positions at its Geneva meeting earlier this month. The proposal was subsequently denied by FIA, the sport's governing body, in favour of the 'wins takes title' scheme, first introduced by commercial rights holder Bernie Ecclestone.

"FOTA just wanted to award the Grand Prix winners with a bigger margin between first and second places," Domenicali told Italy's Gazzetta dello Sport. "It seems embarrassing to me, what has happened over the course of the last few days."

Having consulted the rulebook, FOTA informed the FIA that, as the change had taken place after November and the teams did not agree, the modification could not take place; the FIA has reverted back to the standard 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 scoring system for 2009, although supremo Ecclestone has clearly informed the teams that the new system will be in place by the start of next year.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:16 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Hamilton is a good pick ,worked for me last year and The Big Mac could be playing Coy

The amigos pick Ferrari, there hesitation is not knowing if it's Massa or Kimi , tsk,tsk... Bighead Pete must be biting nails about now......

The Finn, well picks dah Finn his bottle is good so I'm all for it .

ITC picks Sato and will continue to do so until MS returns .............

If the rules remain where the driver with the most wins takes it and not points , then there will be more accidents and takeouts ....... guaranteed !

you have everything to lose if you do not win .....
Doh! Of course I pick a Finn. Let me quote Ove Andersson: "If you want to win, you need a Finn".

Seriously, Kimi is my pick for WDC.

He's been training real hard, is more motivated than ever and the new car suits him better than last years "Massa edition". If he stays the way he's now, Massa has no chance against him.

Hamilton could be 2nd although McLaren seemingly so out of touch, will have problems in the beginning. Knowing McLaren, they'll get their act together but the way they've gone through testing (with real old school movable aluminum pieces in cars etc.), they have serious problems. Heikki don't have a chance again McLaren's golden boy, even with Ron gone I don't se him being able to challenge Hammy.

Brawn looks real good, for WDC top 3 I don't dare to put Rubens but top 3 in Australia I would.

Kubica and Alonso should be up there also.

So, my top 3 WDC:

1. Raikkonen
2. Kubica
3. Hamilton

Top 3 in Australia:

1. Kubica
2. Raikkonen
3. Barichello
Old 03-23-2009, 01:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Exclamation ATTN: Sir A.Wayne

Sir A.Wayne,

In response to numerous requests for YOUR 2009 Formula One WDC prediction, none of which have received a response, I would like to take a brief moment to inform you that if, by the start of Friday practice for Round 1 in Melbourne, you have not posted your ONE and ONLY one 2009 WDC pick, you will be forced to spend a weekend at a Formula One race, as my guest, in the Ferrari pits.

Failure to comply will result in a Lifetime Ban from ANY Rennlist Formula One discussions...

Hugs and Kisses,

The (at last count way more than) 3 Amigos.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:13 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Sir A.Wayne,

In response to numerous requests for YOUR 2009 Formula One WDC prediction, none of which have received a response, I would like to take a brief moment to inform you that if, by the start of Friday practice for Round 1 in Melbourne, you have not posted your ONE and ONLY one 2009 WDC pick, you will be forced to spend a weekend at a Formula One race, as my guest, in the Ferrari pits.

Failure to comply will result in a Lifetime Ban from ANY Rennlist Formula One discussions...

Hugs and Kisses,

The (at last count way more than) 3 Amigos.
Oooh. If Wayno doesn't respond can I serve the penalty?
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Quick Reply: 2009 F1 Season , Testing , News and Updates