Sponsored by:

Roll Call TWS 12/6

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 10:58 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And March is a pretty good time of year to try and lay down a fast lap. Can't really compare fast laps between Feb/Mar and July/August/September, either.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:00 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,601 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by Weston Dillard
After years of arguing over random hand timings, usually by someone's 12 year old, we decided that the only times that count for our 944 drovers bench racing sessions are ones regestered in the club race. So we have one shot a year to lay them down. I don't know if Dave can run 1:55, but he can flog it and he has about a million laps there.

West
I know DE laps in traffic don't mean beans. But you and I both know when we've laid down some good ones... Transponder it'll have to be, then! Kerry came over after our fun little romp & invited me to co-drove with him for enduros in 2009.

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 12-08-2008 at 11:29 PM. Reason: typos
Old 12-09-2008, 12:27 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Here is a nice video of the camera car following Jim Buckley for a few laps, with me going by around the 4:35 mark. Fun times!

Clicky clicky
Old 12-09-2008, 12:48 AM
mpaton
Instructor

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Here is a nice video of the camera car following Jim Buckley for a few laps, with me going by around the 4:35 mark. Fun times!

Clicky clicky
That is an interesting video. When VR goes by, his lines in 3, 4 and 6 are later apex than Buckley's (especially obvious in 3). So none of this "front engine, rear drive cars use early apex lines" stuff going on here.

I've seen many a racer in a DE situation unable to let go of their defensive corner entries (or unaware they were doing that) but I'd be a little surprised if Jim did that.

What's your theory VR?

Michael
Old 12-09-2008, 12:53 AM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

This video showed up after the video VR linked. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dErUM8DyxVM&
FF to 5:20... Geez, anyone ever heard of driving straight off? That could have been MUCH worse.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:27 AM
Martin Bishop
Instructor

I just bought a set of NT01's. So they suck when brand new, eh?
Not saying they suck when new, but just much better when the tread is worn off at 3/32

What size are you running? I think I have (6) 245/40/18s each at around 3/32 I might be willing to trade for some time in my right seat

Last edited by Martin Bishop; 12-09-2008 at 01:43 AM.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:58 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mpaton
That is an interesting video. When VR goes by, his lines in 3, 4 and 6 are later apex than Buckley's (especially obvious in 3). So none of this "front engine, rear drive cars use early apex lines" stuff going on here.

I've seen many a racer in a DE situation unable to let go of their defensive corner entries (or unaware they were doing that) but I'd be a little surprised if Jim did that.

What's your theory VR?

Michael
Dave,

I want you to write a two page report on why you think he does this and why it's the slow way around the track. Please disregard the fact that he is typically a couple of seconds (not tenths) faster than his competition.

G.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by George A
Dave,

I want you to write a two page report on why you think he does this and why it's the slow way around the track. Please disregard the fact that he is typically a couple of seconds (not tenths) faster than his competition.

G.
Huh? Why he does what?

Michael, I think the video was a bit deceiving. In 3 I made a small mistake & turned in slightly too late on that particular lap. Usually, I turn in fairly early and crisply there, and Jim and I did nearly identical lines. Not that time, however. On 4 and 5 we actually do pretty much the exact same line. Jim and I went nose to tail for another couple of laps like that after the video ends, and in 4 & 5 we were identical, so I think the video is a bit deceiving, given the angle and distance back of the camera car. In fact, the only place where Jim's and my lines diverged greatly were in 10 (he really hugs the apex curb all the way around, and my car simply will not do that) and 1 (he takes a much lower line all the time, whereas I alternate between that line and the high line you see in the video, depending on my mood & how the car is gripping).

Martin, I use 235-40-17's all the way around, sorry. Thanks for the input, though.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:38 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

Huh? Why he does what?
Don't play dumb... Read his question. Why do you think Jim, as a racer, is unable to let go of his defensive corner entry (ie, early apex) at DE's? That's the question you were asked. I assume this makes him slower...

G.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:42 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Don't play dumb... Read his question. Why do you think Jim, as a racer, is unable to let go of his defensive corner entry (ie, early apex) at DE's? That's the question you were asked. I assume this makes him slower...

G.
I do not see his lines as defensive in the video. I see tham as fast. And FYI he was not early apexing at any time. So your question has no validity. Now....who is playing dumb here?
Old 12-09-2008, 10:55 AM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

This thread got the funnies going on. Thanks for the giggles.

Looks like everyone (most) had a great time.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:10 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

I do not see his lines as defensive in the video. I see tham as fast. And FYI he was not early apexing at any time. So your question has no validity. Now....who is playing dumb here?
You.... I didn't ask the question, Michael did. Oh jeez, nevermind. You probably don't want to get caught up in it.

Anyway, I'm ejoying the roast.

G.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:22 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

You.... I didn't ask the question, Michael did. Oh jeez, nevermind. You probably don't want to get caught up in it.

Anyway, I'm ejoying the roast.

G.
And I answered Michael's questions. Way to show us what your hot buttons are, though....
Old 12-09-2008, 11:28 AM
George A
Three Wheelin'

And I answered Michael's questions. Way to show us what your hot buttons are, though....
Yessir, idiotic comments are my hot buttons. Yes, you did answer his question. Sly you are not....

You know, one time at band camp, some timed me at 1:56 on the 2.9....

G.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Yessir, idiotic comments are my hot buttons. Yes, you did answer his question. Sly you are not....

You know, one time at band camp, some timed me at 1:56 on the 2.9....

G.
Swell! Thanks for proving my point, though...

Quick Reply: Roll Call TWS 12/6