Sponsored by:

Roll Call TWS 12/6

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 12:25 PM
pmgoodwin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Paul & Bill, you got it! However, by "January" do you mean the one day deal at Harris Hill? Or do you mean the next LSR weekend, which is actually the first weekend in February? I think you mean the latter.
Former, Not sure (not likely) I'll do the TWS in Feb. I've already signed up for the Harris Hill Road in January.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:28 PM
weneversleep
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Paul! Never made the connection between your screen name and you in real life.

And, I appreciate the comment. We had some great laps!

--michael
Old 12-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by pmgoodwin
Former, Not sure (not likely) I'll do the TWS in Feb. I've already signed up for the Harris Hill Road in January.
ok
Old 12-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Chris Alvarado
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That was a fabulous weekend. I didn't drive until the last session on Sunday. It was a good thing too. My steering locked going into T4. At the very last second it broke free. No clue what the problem was but its dropping some serious oil now. Oh well. I have some down time until Feb. to get it squared away.

Big kudos to the Lone Star Region for another successful event and smiling faces!
Old 12-08-2008, 02:14 PM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Someone was stopwatching both of us, and after his tires warmed up he was doing mid 1:54's, and I was very low 1:56's and two laps in the high 1:55's, which is my fastest ever in the M3. I was pretty pleased, considering the ~180 lbs of ballast in my right seat + a completely full tank of fuel!

Anyway, let's try to hook up in the Feb event.
Ahh, the magical VR stopwatched with a passenger, full tank of fuel, on a cold day, mythical out of reach lap time. What tires?

Are you coming to TWS this weekend? If you're doing 55's then i'll be doing 49's
Old 12-08-2008, 02:16 PM
RyanZ06
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SG_M3
Ahh, the magical VR stopwatched with a passenger, full tank of fuel, on a cold day, mythical out of reach lap time. What tires?

Are you coming to TWS this weekend? If you're doing 55's then i'll be doing 49's

ya heard!
Old 12-08-2008, 02:16 PM
RyanZ06
Racer

1:55 in an E36 M3 street car
Old 12-08-2008, 02:29 PM
weneversleep
Racer

Originally Posted by RyanZ06
1:55 in an E36 M3 street car
Why laugh?

OK, I do not have transponder lap times on either myself or VR. I know that mine was clocked by another driver standing by the wall (pmgoodwin, above). I don't know who clocked VR. How accurate these kind of times are, well, can always be questioned, but in my experience, they usually jibe with in-car timing to a second or so.

Having said all of that, I was on the track with VR most of the weekend. I saw how he drives, and I tried in vain to keep up with him. No doubt about that. I easily can believe that he was turning laps 5-6 seconds faster than me, if not more. (Not to mention that I'm one of the slower instructors out there--whether that's up to my car or my driving is an exercise left to the reader. )

And, VR's car is more "prepared" than mine... it's pretty close to a race M3, minus the painted-on #s and a full cage, in my not-so-expert opinion.

So, RyanZ06, why do you not believe that VR was turning 1:55s going CCW at TWS in his M3?

--michael
Old 12-08-2008, 02:38 PM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by weneversleep
Why laugh?

OK, I do not have transponder lap times on either myself or VR. I know that mine was clocked by another driver standing by the wall (pmgoodwin, above). I don't know who clocked VR. How accurate these kind of times are, well, can always be questioned, but in my experience, they usually jibe with in-car timing to a second or so.

Having said all of that, I was on the track with VR most of the weekend. I saw how he drives, and I tried in vain to keep up with him. No doubt about that. I easily can believe that he was turning laps 5-6 seconds faster than me, if not more. (Not to mention that I'm one of the slower instructors out there--whether that's up to my car or my driving is an exercise left to the reader. )

And, VR's car is more "prepared" than mine... it's pretty close to a race M3, minus the painted-on #s and a full cage, in my not-so-expert opinion.

So, RyanZ06, why do you not believe that VR was turning 1:55s going CCW at TWS in his M3?

--michael
It won't, I'd believe a 57. You said you were doing a ~2:00, a 1:57 will look flying compared to the 2:00.

Stopwatches are a funny thing, they usually say what you want them to. VR is a good driver, no doubt. But take a look at the race results. GTS3 and IP, then come back and you'll see what I mean.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:39 PM
RyanZ06
Racer

It won't, I'd believe a 57. You said you were doing a ~2:00, a 1:57 will look flying compared to the 2:00.

Stopwatches are a funny thing, they usually say what you want them to. VR is a good driver, no doubt. But take a look at the race results. GTS3 and IP, then come back and you'll see what I mean.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:41 PM
weneversleep
Racer

Fair enough, and a good answer. I will go look at those race results, because I'm now curious what the IP guys turn at TWS. (I may want to go IP racing someday...)

--michael
Old 12-08-2008, 02:42 PM
RyanZ06
Racer

Fair enough, and a good answer. I will go look at those race results, because I'm now curious what the IP guys turn at TWS. (I may want to go IP racing someday...)

--michael
barely in the range that you're suggesting DLS was turning in his street car.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:46 PM
SG_M3
Rennlist Member

--michael
I set the JP record at a 1:55.5 at the last BMW CCA race, transponder verified With a little tiny 2.8L motor and 3,000 lb weight.

Just saying.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:56 PM
weneversleep
Racer

Originally Posted by RyanZ06
barely in the range that you're suggesting DLS was turning in his street car.
No, I didn't "suggest".

I was trusting VR when he said he had a third party timing him.

--michael
Old 12-08-2008, 03:05 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stopwatch times are teh suck!!!!!!

Especially if the times are questionable. And trying to quote anything near exact times (high 1:38, low 1:36) by hand timing is laughable.

Transponder or ban.

Quick Reply: Roll Call TWS 12/6