Sponsored by:

GT3's Kryptonite

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 08:57 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Blondurant
Sorry, DEs. I know it's taboo to call it racing but it sure feels like it. Especially when you're in the top run group and get to pass in the corners. I digress... Hopefully will club race in the future but most likely won't be with the Cups.
How crazy do you want me to be with my estimate for DE? I once made a spreadsheet that including things like the opportunity cost of the money tied-up in the car, etc. The sheet was posted around here a few years ago. Anyway, opp cost would be an extreme expense to consider, but are you including travel and lodging in your track budget?

How long do you tires last? Brakes? How frequently do you change the motor oil? Tranny oil? Bleed brakes?

At any rate, 2x/mos, maybe you're looking at $15k/year for DE? You might want to throw $5k/year aside on top of that for the "crash fund", too. If racing, double that number (fresh tires each race will drive the number up considerably).
Old 10-29-2008, 08:57 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,674 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
You should try it before you knock it.
I could not agree more.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:18 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 79 Posts

You got it Chewie!

Last "event" I flipped 36 steaks, and 28 pieces of chicken! Donna did the salad/sides/munchies... Jim stood there and looked good, politicing!

RJFabcab tried to conn me into climbing a fence!
Mike

Originally Posted by LVDell
Mike, as long as you keep having great cookouts to fill my belly at the top of the esses, you can hang with stupid all you want!

Last edited by Mikelly; 10-29-2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:48 PM
d15b7
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

hi! i'm not an owner, but i am an instructor, and have logged many many hours in GT3s in the last years... i've seen several clutches fail (springs fail which cause the clutch to remain semi to almost completely engaged). i've seen quite a few cooling hoses fail (all on 996 GT3s) thus leaking out all their coolant onto the track. and i've seen and personally driven GT3s that had what i'd call 'prematurely worn out engine/tranny mounts'. this is most easily felt when accelerating very hard in 2nd gear, while cornering and then attempting a 2-3 upshift. 3rd gear slot 'doesn't feel like where it should be'; i believe this due to movement of the engine/trans under hard accel and cornering. time for new mounts!

those are couple of things i've personally witnessed. i'd call them 'fairly minor', compared to the kind of faults that exist with other makers machinery!!!! just keep an eye on things, and enjoy that track star!

todd
Old 10-29-2008, 09:52 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,359 Likes on 630 Posts

speedventures in the top run group is open passing with no point by...good for practicing high-percentage passes, although in the RS most passes are fairly simple- gnarly brakes or gnarly giddyup out of a corner.

blondurant- I'd say at least 1,500 a month. just remember, you can never have TOO MUCH set aside- like roll over minutes.

oh and it's not a race unless you have a racing license.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:04 PM
GT3 Chuck
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

oh and it's not a race unless you are in front.

Fixed it for ya CJ!
Old 10-29-2008, 10:17 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

haha...

or how about- it's not a race if you don't have a front cage?
Old 10-29-2008, 10:48 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blondurant
The last ECR event (Club race), I ran yellow. I may have started in Blue though, I can't remember! I'm in yellow with PCA but ran in white a few sessions last weekend. I run with the instructors in red with TDE. I'm an "instructor-in-training". Will start going out with students in a few months.

You must be one heck of a driver to go from Blue to Yellow to White in just a few months in the Mav region with all the new logbook requirements and all. And then to become an instructor with the Driver's Edge too. Wow! Congrats!
Old 10-29-2008, 11:19 PM
Blondurant
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deep_uv
You must be one heck of a driver to go from Blue to Yellow to White in just a few months in the Mav region with all the new logbook requirements and all. And then to become an instructor with the Driver's Edge too. Wow! Congrats!
Oh I am soooooo not all that! Not even some of that... have a lot to learn. I love driving and like people so instructing will be a good fit. Hope to instruct with PCA someday too.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:26 PM
cs jeff
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

She's actually very talented... she doesn't realize it though. Of course, I'm her biggest fan and i do take some small amount of credit for getting her into this sport.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:51 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by deep_uv
Seriously. Took me a LOT longer to get to white.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:51 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

blondurant- I'd say at least 1,500 a month. just remember, you can never have TOO MUCH set aside- like roll over minutes.
For my DEs -when I get back after my back operation next month -I even keep my milky rollover minutes!
Old 10-30-2008, 02:07 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

this thread is about 3 posts from disintegrating...
Old 10-30-2008, 09:25 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
At any rate, 2x/mos, maybe you're looking at $15k/year for DE?
Agreed, pretty easily that much if not more depending what's included. When I add up fluids, gas, lodging and consumables I was easily at $700-800 per DE this season. That's in a street car and with no tow rig.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:00 AM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 79 Posts

I just went this "budget" route with the spouse and got hammered... A 3 day weekend for me at VIR is averaging $1500.

And I wonder why she complains!

Mike

Quick Reply: GT3's Kryptonite