Sponsored by:

PSM in DE

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 12:46 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PSM is transparent to a good driver. Smoothness will not trigger it (and conversely if you trigger it you manhandled the car).

Now if you are a professional calibre driver, then maybe PSM will get in the way, but even at Barber the Pros use it and it rarely intervenes, because they know what they are doing and know the track as well.

As a novice/amateur the first thing you should understand is that any "instructor" who tells you turn off the PSM is an "idiot" with ***** for brains.

Why: It takes a lot to have the PSM interfere; and that "lot" is more that beginning/intermediate drivers have the capability to handle.
Old 09-10-2008, 01:35 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Colm
PSM is transparent to a good driver. Smoothness will not trigger it (and conversely if you trigger it you manhandled the car).

Now if you are a professional calibre driver, then maybe PSM will get in the way, but even at Barber the Pros use it and it rarely intervenes, because they know what they are doing and know the track as well.

As a novice/amateur the first thing you should understand is that any "instructor" who tells you turn off the PSM is an "idiot" with ***** for brains.

Why: It takes a lot to have the PSM interfere; and that "lot" is more that beginning/intermediate drivers have the capability to handle.
It really depends on the track. On smooth tracks, I completely agree that it takes a lot to engage PSM. On bumpy tracks, probably only a beginner should keep it on.

As an "instructor", I would never advise someone to turn it off if only due to liability concerns. The most I would do is advise them of the pros and cons of turning it off and letting them decide.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:19 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Turbo Stan
After that the PSM kept activating even going slowly around corners. People at the track suggested I just run with the PSM off. They should have told me to replace all four tires instead. Well anyways being a noob I lifted in two separate corners and spun both times. The first time I managed to keep it off the wall. The second time I just kissed the tire wall with my front and rear bumpers. I was lucky. But the moral of the story is; PSM WON'T SAVE YOUR *** IF ITS OFF.
PSM won't save your *** if it's on, either. (There are lots of ways to leave the track besides lifting in a corner).

Perhaps your example also demonstrates that suggestions from "people at the track" won't save your ***, either. "Common wisdom" is.... an oxymoron. In the end, we have to make our own intelligent decisions and own the consequences.

FWIW, I rarely turn PSM off - only after a few well-driven sessions, and with specific intent to experience and learn from the difference. Wouldn't want to be so nonchalant about it that I would ever not be keenly aware that it's off.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:50 AM
James-man
Race Car

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
I find that not having PSM, ABS or power steering for that matter, makes the whole experience more exciting
and makes me a better driver because I feel I am driving the car instead of the car driving me with the "electronic nanny".......

That is the reason why my Cayman S is the garage queen and I am taking an "old girl" to the track.....
Excellent point.

On the other hand, someone with the HP that Turbo Stan and others have... well, they have all the excitement they need with just that!
Old 09-10-2008, 07:51 AM
Turbo Stan
Advanced

Originally Posted by Brian P
Ha! If it were only that simple (i.e., do what I say...)

I always explain to my students the pros and cons of turning PSM off versus leaving it on... Here's what I usually tell them: turning it off can be worth about 2 seconds per lap, however I've crashed twice with it off. So, the question is how much is 2 seconds a lap worth to you...
If I was the student, all that I would have heard is "turning it off can be worth about 2 seconds per lap".

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
I find that not having PSM, ABS or power steering for that matter, makes the whole experience more exciting
and makes me a better driver because I feel I am driving the car instead of the car driving me with the "electronic nanny".......
I totally agree with you. Driving is definitely more fun with less electronic interference. That's why I drive with it off now too. But it's not the safest way to learn and student safety is our number one priority.

Originally Posted by Colm

Very well put.

Originally Posted by ervtx
Perhaps your example also demonstrates that suggestions from "people at the track" won't save your ***, either. "Common wisdom" is.... an oxymoron.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:28 AM
DarkSideDE
Pro

When we had a 993 -- PSM was always turned off. However, we did learn, that should the car think it's in trouble - it turns the PSM back on to take care of the situation.

And Boston - I drove my car to the dealer this week - I didn't have any power steering. When you don't you can develop the very poor habit of feeding gas while making a turn... works great for no power steering but goes against everything we have learned on how to control a car.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

993's did not have PSM....I had a 993 Turbo for 10 years and only electronic aid was ABS. First PSM appeared on the 996, probably on 2000 or 2001 models.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:38 AM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Apologies then - it must have been the PSM in the 2001 Boxster...

That is what happens when you get older... yikes.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:00 AM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if the guy driving me around is called a "student" he drives with PSM ON!! period.
when do you turn it off? (for me) when you have been driving solo for so long that your speeds constantly cause the PSM to come on especially in the long sweepers. it is very upsetting at high speed tracks and that was when I turned mine off and didnt look back.
the whole learn to drive thing in a "lesser" car of hp and electronics is correct for a smooth learning curve but unrealistic for the P-car owner who want to learn how to drive his car at a DE. Just a fact of DE life.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:03 AM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The parameters to invoke PSM on the 997 are much wider than the previous 996.
If the "sport" button is depressed the parameters are wider still.
That being said, if PSM is invoking on a 997, it is telling you that your driving style is flawed (your overdriving the car) and should be corrected...it is a teacher.

To a good driver it sits silently in the background.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:12 AM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,026 Likes on 479 Posts

IMHO, one thing that nearly every PMS system (maybe the 997 gt3 in sport, I dont know because I havent driven in...) doesnt allow is letting the drover apply max amount of throttle as early as possible in a turn. With my 996 tt, I was never REALLY able to get on the power and unwind my hands as fast as I could have been because the computer brains in the car needed to analyze too much and wouldnt be quite as responsive to inputs (even if the light for PMS intervention didnt come on). I find on my 996 gt3, I am able to get on the throttle earlier and unwind my hands faster (which results in that LITTLE bit (however very fast) bit of slide) and feel I am a far better driver because of it.

-Drew

(ya, i have written more flowing pieces of prose...forgive me...)
Old 09-10-2008, 11:18 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

In hindsight (in light of this thread), I wish during my first DE a couple days ago that I had:

1) Been allowed to keep PSM on (instructor wanted it off); and
2) Had correct tire pressures (my rears at 46 HOT was way too much).

I think I would have been able to more safely see what the car and I could do. For moments in time, I was able to reel guys in and passed them. The only time I was passed was by my own ****.

Great discussion.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:26 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
if the guy driving me around is called a "student" he drives with PSM ON!! period.
when do you turn it off? (for me) when you have been driving solo for so long that your speeds constantly cause the PSM to come on especially in the long sweepers. it is very upsetting at high speed tracks and that was when I turned mine off and didnt look back.
the whole learn to drive thing in a "lesser" car of hp and electronics is correct for a smooth learning curve but unrealistic for the P-car owner who want to learn how to drive his car at a DE. Just a fact of DE life.
I completely disagree. If my student prefers it off, I'm not going to overrule him. I don't really see the difference between instructing someone that doesn't have PSM versus instructing someone that does have it but decides to turn it off. If we are getting to a point where we need PSM to save us, then I'm not doing my job as an instructor.

Again, I won't tell someone they have to turn it off, but I'm not going to tell them they have to turn it on either.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

From our PCA region's web site: "The PCA position is that if a car is equipped with Porsche Stability Management, or equivalent equipment, it is to be left on. If an individual elects to turn it off, they do so based strictly on their own decision."
Old 09-10-2008, 03:12 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 66 Posts

Don't forget, guys, this from the PSM side of things... PSM in one car is not the same as PSM in another. This applies both within, but especially across, brands of vehicles. A 986 can definitely behave quite differently than a 997, or one year to the next - so don't expect exactly the same experience, especially for the instructors.

The whole concept of "off" is a particularly good example. Some manufacturers say "off means off!" - others it's off till you hit the brake pedal, or till you get into ABS, or it just waits longer till it comes in.

So before you say (in particular, to a student) that it'll do this, or that (such as come back on and save your butt after turned off) - make sure you know it applies for that specific car!!!

YMMV!!!

As for my personal, professional opinion on the use in DE, I'm 100% of conviction that it should be 100% on when starting, then can be dialed back through Sport or Competition or whatever modes are available, over the course of a day, as the student shows merit. When I get in an unfamiliar car, or a familiar car I haven't been in recently - I start off in the full-system mode, to be sure, even if it's only for 1-2 laps. There's also something to be said for, on a multiple-day DE, starting in full-system-on for the first couple of laps. If nothing else, it provides a good fresh baseline on what was learned, what was forgotten, and what still needs to be learned. IMO.

Quick Reply: PSM in DE