Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSM in DE

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009 | 01:08 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

My student at Road America last weekend had a Cayman S. He wanted to try a few laps with PSM off, I told him no. PSM was showing him where he needed to drive more smoothly.

If you're advanced and want it off that's one thing, but IMHO novice students should leave it on.

Finally, in my experience with my 996 (my 986 doesn't have it) PSM will turn itself back on if you apply the brakes while you have the car beyond the allowable slip angles.
Old 05-30-2009 | 01:18 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

The SC & TC on the GT2 is too intrusive I wish I could get rid of the TC, on my 01 Z06 I could leave on the SC which is called competitive mode and it would let me push it. With the Z06 if I would turn on the traction control it sucked as well very intrusive!
Old 05-30-2009 | 01:23 AM
Z06
Three Wheelin'

On my friends Evolution 9 or 10? it's an 09....he was flat around a long reduced radius corner and the computer let the car rotate every so slightly....realy great system..if it was my car it would have applied the brakes and slowed us down. I think Porsche over did it...to much... where I would prefer to turn it off.
Old 05-30-2009 | 01:27 AM
LDadrenaline
Racer

On my opinion anyone who needs traction controls to help them drive/save their car needs to learn how to drive. I agree that novice students should keep it on. But that is why I like PCA (as opposed to Chin) for its two novice groups. Blue group should be where they are moving to turning PSM off. If a student is going to try it, I think an instructor should be present. I don't think that we can pass someone off to solo knowing that they don't know any REAL car correction techniques because the computers are constantly saving them. I would not feel comfortable knowing that I solo'd someone off and that when they experiment turning PSM off that they will have a very high risk of wrecking. We are supposed to TEACH them how to drive, not sit behind the wheel and let the computers do all the work.
Old 05-30-2009 | 10:58 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by LDadrenaline
On my opinion anyone who needs traction controls to help them drive/save their car needs to learn how to drive. I agree that novice students should keep it on. But that is why I like PCA (as opposed to Chin) for its two novice groups. Blue group should be where they are moving to turning PSM off. If a student is going to try it, I think an instructor should be present. I don't think that we can pass someone off to solo knowing that they don't know any REAL car correction techniques because the computers are constantly saving them. I would not feel comfortable knowing that I solo'd someone off and that when they experiment turning PSM off that they will have a very high risk of wrecking. We are supposed to TEACH them how to drive, not sit behind the wheel and let the computers do all the work.
I have to agree with this 1000%.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-30-2009 | 01:10 PM
mdrums
Race Director

You can rotate a 997 with PSM on. You can turn PSM off but if you get really into trouble it will kick back on. I turn oit off on the track and sometime leave it on and can;t seem to tell much of a difference.

I am at Sebring right now...2 more run groups today. I will turn it off again and report back.
Old 06-01-2009 | 06:35 PM
weneversleep
Racer

You definitely can't compare the stability control systems of different manufacturers, or even different years. They have all evolved greatly over the years.

The DSC (or, more accurately, "ASC-T") in my E36 M3 activates by cutting throttle and applying rear brakes if there is the slightest hint of slip. Really gets in the way of track driving, so I turn it off.

In my PCA instructor training, I was taught that it is categorically the student's choice whether to have a DSC system on or off. (This is in the Lone Star/Hill Country regions) An instructor can answer questions about how/when/why to activate/deactivate it, but cannot say "turn it off" or "leave it on". This is for liability reasons--we don't want a student saying "but the instructor told me to turn DSC off!" after an incident.

--michael
Old 06-01-2009 | 07:31 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Our region is PSM ON for novices. Once they are signed off to solo they don't need PSM if we have done our job correctly. If they still need PSM we failed in our mission. Period.
Old 06-01-2009 | 09:50 PM
Todsimpson
Racer

There is a big difference between PSM and other modern developments like disc brakes or even traction control and ABS.

PSM creates inputs to the controls that no driver can duplicate, like braking wheels individually to prevent a spin. When that happens the computer is driving, period.

Even if you are really fast and "smooth" enough not to engage PSM, you're still not learning what to do when things go all pear shaped, and that's a shame.

Quick Reply: PSM in DE