Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POC Race at Laguna Seca. Anderson wins and then DQ'ed for a misshift? YES- VIDEO!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 07:11 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IIRC the front fenders are cf, but there is no tube frame bits on the car.

I am sure a 6.5 litre 911 would kick it's ***, but to be honest any turbocharged car over 3 litre should have more tq.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:10 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

I agree, there are a lot of fast "old" cars. Look at Stefanowitz's monsters. (what ever happened to that guy anyway?) Anyway, Marks 928 is not tubed frame. He has tubes in the cage though . It still running the stoc ECU, NO CHIP!! I guess the point is, its got 500+ hp and it weighs only 2550lbs! that is key. Laguna is a great track for the 928, but remember, it also runs 1:39.9 at Sears! Being heavier than its 911 turbo or RSR counterparts, and with Willow being so demanding on high speed cornering, the smalller cars have an edge. BUT, 1:23 out there is no slouch either. It has no "monster" torque. it has much less torque than HP. (in the 450ft-lb range). Still quite a lot,all it ends up doing because of its HP (remember torque means nothing without looking at its engine RPMs), it has a very flat HP curve. I think it might not be effected by the exhaust restrictions that the 911s have . Remember, ALL of the cup cars with some mods (Speed GT engine mods) that Ive seen, can run 1:29- 1:31ish at laguna ON DOTS!!! Without all the 92db exhuast restrictions that you guys had at laguna with POC.

m

Originally Posted by Johninrsf
Mark A. is a terrific driver and one of my favorites to race with in POC, but c'mon, that is a tube frame all aluminum race car --let's not make it sound like a 21 yr. old modifed street 928! Laguna Seca is the perfect track for that car. Turn #11 is the slowest final turn leading to a front straight that we run and he has monster torque with that V8 that eats up the front straight unlike any other (normally aspirated) car in POC, IMO. At all other tracks, especially those with fast final turns leading to the front straight (e.g. Willow Springs) the 928 loses the advantage the torque provides.

P.S. I ran a 32 yr. old 911 less than 1/2 second off Mark's best lap pace. Oh yeah, it's slightly modified also.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:11 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

No CF on the car except that fancy intae . fenders are stock, but have been widened. Doors , hood and fenders are aluminum stock!

mk

Originally Posted by sweanders
IIRC the front fenders are cf, but there is no tube frame bits on the car.

I am sure a 6.5 litre 911 would kick it's ***, but to be honest any turbocharged car over 3 litre should have more tq.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark: Bob Stefanowitz has been working hard building a new car. He's had it out at the last 2 PRC events and it's getting the bugs worked out. He ran a 1:48 at Thunderhill last weekend but the car had some ECU issues that are still being sorted.
Old 08-29-2008, 12:53 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Bob's cars were always slow.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:29 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, but this speaks to books of experience many of us have up here with Laguna and the famed turn 1.

ive seen a lot of crunched cars in this turn, for guys trying to "make it" through having a thought that there is an opening. if you notice the red cup car on the right, he already coming down on Mark's bow. the track naturally bends left (thats why they call it turn 1) and it also narrows, WITH a pitch point just after the start finish. (where the contact occured). Its not unlike any other turn. either you own the pass, or you dont. in this case, the passing turbo didnt own the turn and ended up having contact. He also pulled out at the start and clipped the yellow 911, who also pulled out after the flag dropped to get a run.
These kind of things just dont "Happen" they are the drivers responsibiltiy to drive in a manner where your car can be driven home after the race (well at least in my case ) . This was an unfortunate event, but to say Mark A is at fault is kind of passing the buck. Knowing the track at this point, I would have hung back until i knew i was clear. of cars and walls!

mk
Attached Images  
Old 08-29-2008, 05:40 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 08-29-2008, 07:05 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So is this correct procedure then for dealing with a guy who misses a shift in front of you?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy5H0u2wqyI

I think everyone but the catering truck passed me here.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:30 PM
JC3D
Pro

Originally Posted by 4 Kurves
So is this correct procedure then for dealing with a guy who misses a shift in front of you?

That's because they don't have a catering truck anymore, so pretty much everyone passed you.
Old 08-29-2008, 08:22 PM
Black Sea RD
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, at least your not having to rebuild your car...
Old 08-30-2008, 01:31 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Kurves

Yeah but you came home in one piece. There is no money in club racing and I would guess you had a lot of fun passing a lot of those cars back! Smart Driving Kevin!

JCM
Old 08-30-2008, 02:28 AM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Abby
Exactly. It's funny to read posts in the thread that are total contradictions of themselves.
Whats funny is that there seems to be a pitiful "Ah, silly Wabbit" sort of comment set on the 928's "new motor" (its not new) and that MarkA did a "great job" but too bad about the 13 - almost as if its a boys club and he wasn't invited. It reaks of Well, he was DQ'd, and everything is right with the world now.

Tube frame?

The Post from the POC committee rep was just the funniest.
I have a "Special Club", but its in my tree-house in the back yard, and no one here is invited.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:23 PM
Johninrsf
Racer

Originally Posted by BrendanC
Whats funny is that there seems to be a pitiful "Ah, silly Wabbit" sort of comment set on the 928's "new motor" (its not new) and that MarkA did a "great job" but too bad about the 13 - almost as if its a boys club and he wasn't invited. It reaks of Well, he was DQ'd, and everything is right with the world now.

Tube frame?

I have a "Special Club", but its in my tree-house in the back yard, and no one here is invited.
Brendon,

Sorry to say you just did an Obama job on a couple of us --that's when you twist and take words out of context to make a clever, but inaccurate point!
First of all, let me make it clear that John Gordon and I are good friends of Mark Anderson and should Mark decide to appeal, we will do everything we can to help.
OK, I thought Mark's car was a "tube frame". I was wrong. And maybe John was wrong about a "new motor" (tho I thought Mark told me he had a new or newly rebuilt motor) --those are truly horrible mistakes to make, I know. And I'm sure you've never done the same.
You refer to the "POC Committee Rep". There is no POC Committee Rep. on this post, nor did anyone represent themselves to be such. Uh oh, I guess even Brendon can make a mistake now and then.
Your reference to the Special Club probably stems from the fact you've never belonged to one. If you had, you'd probably feel the same way that most of us in POC feel--- as part of a family --and families don't usually like to have their disputes adjudicated in public. Is that really such an outrageous and laughable position that you wind up direspecting the person who holds it? Maybe that's just an Internet Forum thing (to disrespect others) and that's why you won't find me posting 13000 posts on forums like Rennlist.
POC is a great Club for Porsche owners --everyone is invited--we only ask that you follow the Rules and respect each other . Some people may not fit in due to this last requirement.
Mark A. is a model POC member. We all love and admire him and his 928! And particularly like racing with him!
Old 08-30-2008, 08:32 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BrendanC
Tube frame?
I've read this post over and over and for the life of me I can't understand your point(s). Mark's motor is new. He had Greg Brown build it over a year ago but the pistons failed and they they spent most of this year waiting for new ones. This was the motor's inaugural run. Obviously it worked well...

As for the POC committe member posting you're way off base here. No one associated with the POC in any official capacity other than some members has posted on this thread. Mark has been a POC member for over 20 years (+-) and is extremely well respected and honored. I personally love trying to stay close to him in his cup; we've had some fun battles.

I support him in his appeal to the POC BOD and we've spoken on the phone as frequently as last night over the issue. He has an uphill battle as the point at issue is did he leave enough racing room on the inside for cars to pass. The Comp. Committee felt he should have been aware he'd be getting passed after missing his 2-3 shift and therefore should have left ample room around him. It's an interesting question that until now we've been discussing in an adult manner with conflicting opinions. If you can stop with the silly inuendos I'd like to hear your analytical perspective on the question....

PPS: I just noticed your posted this at 10:28 last night. Were you tanked?
Old 08-30-2008, 08:38 PM
BC
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Johninrsf
Brendon,

Sorry to say you just did an Obama job on a couple of us --that's when you twist and take words out of context to make a clever, but inaccurate point!
That was low. Take that back right now.

--those are truly horrible mistakes to make, I know. And I'm sure you've never done the same.
never.

You refer to the "POC Committee Rep". There is no POC Committee Rep. on this post, nor did anyone represent themselves to be such. Uh oh, I guess even Brendon can make a mistake now and then.
I don't know who BrendOn is, but if he makes mistakes, he should correct that. Me? Never. Your post sounded very official - like many here do when The "club" is involved. WRT your obama comment, your post sounded like you love committees.

Your reference to the Special Club probably stems from the fact you've never belonged to one.
Ah, nice one. I try very hard not to. Clubs are more often than not useless, exclusionary, and restricting - for the very reason of being so.

If you had, you'd probably feel the same way that most of us in POC feel--- as part of a family --and families don't usually like to have their disputes adjudicated in public. Is that really such an outrageous and laughable position that you wind up direspecting the person who holds it? Maybe that's just an Internet Forum thing (to disrespect others) and that's why you won't find me posting 13000 posts on forums like Rennlist.
Another zinger! I'll retire at 13,000, I promise. This is the internet as you mentioned. The videos, once on the internet, are public. Any comment on them is public. If you want them to be made private, then the Porsche Owner's Club needs to get a Committee to convene and ban movies being taken in-car. That way rules can be enforced the way I am sure most in the POC like it - in a back room privately, politically.

Quick Reply: POC Race at Laguna Seca. Anderson wins and then DQ'ed for a misshift? YES- VIDEO!!!!