Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POC Race at Laguna Seca. Anderson wins and then DQ'ed for a misshift? YES- VIDEO!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 01:03 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts
Default POC Race at Laguna Seca. Anderson wins and then DQ'ed for a misshift? YES- VIDEO!!!!

I was out there at the POC race this Saturday at Laguna Seca. Anderson and his 928 was out there and he took the race pretty easily. That car has some get-up and as I can attest, it handles well too! Pretty cool to see a 92 db car run a 1:31.xx .

The start was a mess with Mark Anderson missing a shift and a bunch of guys behind scatter and a couple make contact and spin out. I had a pretty good vantage point, but the video is a little hard to see what exactly happens. What i saw was that Mark just slowed, and cars went around him with a couple making some passes that resulted in contact and , I think, two bent up cars . one spun to the left and hit the wall just past start/Finish, and the other spun or went off track to the right iinto the dirt

I know 13/13s are for any contact or damage, regardless of fault, but this is kind of rediculous. I guess POC just has it out for the 928s!
He won the race, but later DQ'ed him for the root cause of the accident and somehow not leaving enough room on the left. quite the opposite to what I saw. Looked like he drove straight down the middle after he slowed after the greed dropped.

http://www.youtube.com/v/Ac3cNjn-JUw

Mk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-W6Tdu3STj0

Last edited by mark kibort; 08-25-2008 at 09:09 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 08-25-2008, 02:00 AM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

While it may suck to get a 13/13 for missing a shift, it is really no different than locking up your brakes or any number of mistakes that can happen while racing. If it is an identifiable mistake and the root cause of an accident,I think that a 13/13 is correct. You can receive a 13 for a missed shift in PCA as well.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:02 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

You guys in the 928's are simply fast. Too bad about the missed shift and bent cars.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:43 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I can kind of see that. I know, while racing with the BMW/Porsche groups, they were pretty strict about the 13/13 rule. And yes, any contact, yours of otherwise, unless you had no part in the event, was deemed to be a 13/13 violation. Even running off track into the sand. If your car got even a little bend in the splitter, it was damage and warranted the 13/13.

This situaton was a little differnet He didnt lock up his brakes, he just didnt have full power for a second and lost all his momentum. a bunch of guys around took advantage and tried to use him as a pick for a pass. It backfired, and banged up some other cars. since he didnt move and held his line which was mid width in the track, I dont see how its an issue. Would the accident have happened if he wasnt there? Well, the answer probably no. So, guilty?

I guess the 13/13 does its job, but at this level of racing where little things do happen, i dont thin its grounds for DQ. Say, he went off track with his big lead and clipped the birm and damaged his splitter. technically, that is a 13/13 event. But, is it grounds for Dq'ing his position in the race? Im a little torn on the rule system, and glad we dont have those issues in SCCA racing, We have some real close clean racing, with the contact rules being pretty fair and effective

mk

Originally Posted by flatsics
While it may suck to get a 13/13 for missing a shift, it is really no different than locking up your brakes or any number of mistakes that can happen while racing. If it is an identifiable mistake and the root cause of an accident,I think that a 13/13 is correct. You can receive a 13 for a missed shift in PCA as well.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:35 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
Im a little torn on the rule system, and glad we dont have those issues in SCCA racing, We have some real close clean racing, with the contact rules being pretty fair and effective

mk
this is why I'm leaning towards running with NASA and SCCA...

question is- how do they handle contact incidents?
Old 08-25-2008, 11:38 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

SCCA seems to encourage it...
Old 08-25-2008, 11:45 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
they don't call it Wrec Miata for nothing
Old 08-25-2008, 11:46 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,417 Likes on 758 Posts

they don't call it Wrec Miata for nothing
Spec Pinata.

Did you get my emails? I have been having intermittent outages the last couple of days...
Old 08-25-2008, 11:46 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

You are held accountable. any contact and you have to go to the principal's office.
There, its like family court. You could get a fine, DQ, warning, or even a suspension. Its very reasonable and fair. There is no getting off easy if you hit someone, especially if its is your fault. Its kind of self regulating, as we are all forced to see eachother at the beginning of the races on pre-grid. maybe thats the secret. Putting a face with the car tends to help a little.

mk

Old 08-25-2008, 12:57 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

After all that, POC sent Mark home with no racing the rest of the weekend. NOW, THAT IS BS!!!!
I can understand the 13/13, even the DQ, but to end someone's weekend for an issue like this is just plain wrong. POC needs to review their policies. Was Mark a danger, or did he needed to be taught a lesson. Careless driving, I can see that being the way to punsh people, but a simple mis-shift or slow down and others cant handle themselves and then send him home?? That is utter BS!!
Old 08-25-2008, 01:50 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Is this a NorCal versus SoCal thing?
Old 08-25-2008, 01:55 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

SoCal comes up and runs at a NorCal track. other than that. its not!

More along the lines of each club's interpretation of their own 13/13 rulings

mk
Old 08-25-2008, 01:57 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

The 13/13 rule generates allot of discussion to say the least.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
After all that, POC sent Mark home with no racing the rest of the weekend. NOW, THAT IS BS!!!!
I can understand the 13/13, even the DQ, but to end someone's weekend for an issue like this is just plain wrong. POC needs to review their policies. Was Mark a danger, or did he needed to be taught a lesson. Careless driving, I can see that being the way to punsh people, but a simple mis-shift or slow down and others cant handle themselves and then send him home?? That is utter BS!!
And on the other end of the spectrum is the guy who sideswiped someone at Watkins Glen, essentially causing the total destruction of two cars because of his call on how to get around an accident. He didn't even come in after the major contact (in itself a 13), continued to race until Black flagged, and he doesn't get a 13?
Old 08-25-2008, 02:15 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yet another cheap shot at SCCA. Come on VR, you're better than that....

Quick Reply: POC Race at Laguna Seca. Anderson wins and then DQ'ed for a misshift? YES- VIDEO!!!!