Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

POC Race at Laguna Seca. Anderson wins and then DQ'ed for a misshift? YES- VIDEO!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 02:19 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
they don't call it Wrec Miata for nothing
Anytime you have a spec class with large numbers in the field AND good racing, you're going to have contact. I see it regularly but rarely is the damage more than $1-$2k. It's not like these guys are out there t-boning each other every weekend. Obviously the guys in the class can afford the repairs or they wouldn't race in it. They also pick the class because it's cheap to run and there is good competition.

I've seen a lot more incidents/accidents at PCA races than I've ever seen at an SCCA race.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:29 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

$1-2K? That's a whole Miata body shell!
Old 08-25-2008, 02:40 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

I agree. And in our SCCA ITE races. (mixed sports car class on DOTs) we rarely have any incidents, even though our numbers can be over 60 cars in a race!! the fact that they are not all even, and the mind set, tends to reduce the numbers of accidents or incidents.

mk

Originally Posted by PedroNole
Anytime you have a spec class with large numbers in the field AND good racing, you're going to have contact. I see it regularly but rarely is the damage more than $1-$2k. It's not like these guys are out there t-boning each other every weekend. Obviously the guys in the class can afford the repairs or they wouldn't race in it. They also pick the class because it's cheap to run and there is good competition.

I've seen a lot more incidents/accidents at PCA races than I've ever seen at an SCCA race.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:04 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,441 Likes on 772 Posts

Originally Posted by PedroNole
Yet another cheap shot at SCCA. Come on VR, you're better than that....
Cheap? CHEAP?

I'll have you know that that shot was anything but cheap.

I just call 'em as I see 'em.
Old 08-25-2008, 07:41 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dunno. I raced SCCA IT in the Midwest, and can barely remenber a session (practice/qually/race) where someone didn't have some bent metal. It's just a way of life - you quit crying, get over it , and move on.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:08 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

YOU BE THE JUDGE!!!!

VIDEO!!

http://www.youtube.com/v/Ac3cNjn-JUw
Old 08-25-2008, 09:21 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Looks like Anderson came over a bit and pinched that guy passing him on the left.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:22 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,987 Likes on 560 Posts

ouch...guess he coulda drifted right a bit more??
Old 08-25-2008, 09:32 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You miss a shift like that you have to know people are going to be coming around you. He didn't leave enough room on his left and drove the guy into the wall. Nothing intentional about it. A sucky situation but a reasonable 13 IMO.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
You miss a shift like that you have to know people are going to be coming around you. He didn't leave enough room on his left and drove the guy into the wall. Nothing intentional about it. A sucky situation but a reasonable 13 IMO.
That's the way I see it also.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:52 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

I guess after driving this track so much, that that part of the start finish is not the place to pass, unless you know you got room. It wouldnt have hurt him to wait until the wall went by. Thats actually turn 1. If you look at the direction his car is pointing, most allcars are pointing there, the tendancy is to fade right, even though you are driving fairly straight. There was a guy on the right, but, it is up to the passing car to make a safe pass. If it were me, I would have waited until we got passed that wall. maybe he should have used his horn!

mk

t
Old 08-25-2008, 09:53 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

+1
Old 08-25-2008, 09:54 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

watch it again! the red car almost clips Marks front end on the right. he had no where to go.

mk
Old 08-25-2008, 09:57 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mark kibort
watch it again! the red car almost clips Marks front end on the right. he had no where to go.

mk
Nope. Mark started coming over well before that.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:42 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mark K. the POC's rules regarding any 13/13 incident are centered in preventing accidents and discouraging reckless racing . You may think they're too severe, but eratic, unsafe racing is too common in many venues and the POC's position is very clear and understood by all members.

Mark Anderson is a truly gifted and safe driver. I've followed him around many tracks and I've never seen him make an unsafe move. Obviously he had no intention in forcing the 993 TT off left into the wall. The track veers left as you crest the hill and Mark was simply following the path of travel once he got the car going in 3rd. gear. But as others have noted, he left little racing room on the left and that TT car was coming full throttle trying to avoid getting killed by the cars behind him. Mark had the pole, there were 34 other cars coming up real fast. The first 3 rows were full of 600+ HP turbos followed by 400 HP cup cars and everyone was throttle up. It was a truly unfortunate incident and our Competition Committee reviewed everyone's video before making their ruling.

I was directly behind the yellow car filming and went to the center. I believe that's me going thru at the end of the video. I couldn't see what happened 2 rows up, but I saw the TT car bounce off the wall to the left and the water's parted so up the middle I went. It could have been a real CF with 35 cars in the race The TT was badly damaged, a 6-cup went off hard right into the kitty litter and was out of the race, but everyone else managed else to get thru OK. We went full-course yellow for a few laps until the carnage was cleared and then back to racing . Mark continued on to win the race with his new motor...

Quick Reply: POC Race at Laguna Seca. Anderson wins and then DQ'ed for a misshift? YES- VIDEO!!!!