Sponsored by:

Crashed at Sebring, need a new hobby

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 02:58 PM
jester911
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RDL
It sounds like we should have the first Rennlist DE and Tennis Tournament. I'm game.

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
I'm in ..............

You guys got nothin...
Old 08-04-2008, 03:00 PM
jester911
Drifting

That because that sport requires a lot more wrist action.

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I suck at tennis...but I am pretty solid at racquetball.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:02 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,542 Likes on 815 Posts

Originally Posted by jester911
That because that sport requires a lot more wrist action.
Yup. And I have LOTS of practice with that!!!!!!
Old 08-04-2008, 03:22 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 660 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by jester911
Mark, it is amazing how similar your situation is to mine. I had a meeting with a tire wall in May at Barber and even though my car is repairable if I continue to go back to the track my marriage of 25 years may not be.

Now before anyone says you need to set her straight she has already said she would stay with me no matter what but as dense as I am I can read between the lines.

The grief and unhappiness I would cause her just would not be fair and I would ultimately suffer from it as well anyway.

I may be able to go back to the track again at some point but it doesn't look like it will be anytime in the near future. That is my choice not hers.

Another similarity is that I also play tennis and have started spending more time back on the courts.
I am still able to beat my 16 y.o. son but that won't hold much longer.

Good luck to you with your decision.
Tennis rocks! Not only is it fun, but it is a great workout. I'm a level 4.0 mostly and sometimes can play higher on a good day since I can give the teaching pro a decent match. My oldest daughter plays on one of the best private school teams in Orlando and I can still beat her (barely). USTA tournaments here I come.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:41 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
Tennis rocks! Not only is it fun, but it is a great workout. I'm a level 4.0 mostly and sometimes can play higher on a good day since I can give the teaching pro a decent match. My oldest daughter plays on one of the best private school teams in Orlando and I can still beat her (barely). USTA tournaments here I come.
Showoff ! looks like we cheered you up a bit too much mark
Old 08-04-2008, 03:42 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm in on the tennis tournament. If I couldn't do the racing ($) that's what I would be competing in.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:11 PM
RDL
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

Mark, sounds like we are at a similar level. I was rated at a 4.5 originally, but have lowered down to a 4.0. I'm not a quick as I used to be, plus shoulder issues have hurt the game.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:13 PM
RDL
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

P.s. My partner and I on the USTA team finished our third year in a row with only one loss. We are concerned we may get bumped up.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Dang, you guys have skillz....
Old 08-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 660 Likes on 355 Posts

It's just like racing. Unless you are Federrer or Nadal (Schumacher or Hamilton) there will always be somebody considerably better than you on the tennis court. The important thing is to get out there and have some fun just like we all do on the track. After all, Bollitteri won't ever show up to watch us play tennis and Roger Penske will likely never come looking at a DE for any driving help on his RS Spyders. :-))
Old 08-04-2008, 05:59 PM
jester911
Drifting

Here in Atlanta we have the largest local amateur tennis organization in the world called ALTA (Atlanta Lawn Tennis Assoc.) and it is all doubles. There are over 80,000 members . They don't use the same rating system as USTA. They use a letter designation for the level and a number for flight.

The levels start at C6, C5 etc up to A1. Then they have AA3, AA2 and the top level being AA1.
Last season I played on a AA2 team and we won the City Championships so now we are moved to AA1. This would be the equivalent of 5.0 to 5.5 in USTA. At this level practically everyone is a former Div 1 college player or a satellite tour player or both. I really am only a backup player on the team but I did play some last season.

We have lost a lot of our big "guns" so I expect we will get whacked this fall. It is still a helluva lot of fun.

Last edited by jester911; 08-04-2008 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
It's just like racing. Unless you are Federrer or Nadal (Schumacher or Hamilton) there will always be somebody considerably better than you on the tennis court. The important thing is to get out there and have some fun just like we all do on the track. After all, Bollitteri won't ever show up to watch us play tennis and Roger Penske will likely never come looking at a DE for any driving help on his RS Spyders. :-))
Thank goodness I win all my DE's.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:11 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
EXACTLY.

But certain delicate doilies from Palo Alto and CanaDUH seem to get sand in their vaginas at the slightest little thing.
Is there a particular reason that you feel the need to be so childish? Per your charming grade school reference, I don't get upset at every little thing, but I find your apparently constant need to provoke people tiring. Drawing attention to that fact has simply generated more of the same from you. I think the Rennlist community deserves better.

Apologies to the OP for the side project .
Old 08-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Is there a particular reason that you feel the need to be so condescending and brittle? I don't care what you think of me, but I find your apparently constant need to show how easily offended tiring. Drawing attention to that fact has simply generated more of the same from you. I think the Rennlist community deserves better.

Apologies to John D.
CORRECTED
Old 08-21-2008, 06:55 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Hi Mark. Are you still lurking?

I'm wondering how you are feeling physically and emotionally now that nearly 3weeks have pasted.

Are you browsing the classified yet?

I hope all is well with you and your wife.

Regards.

Quick Reply: Crashed at Sebring, need a new hobby