Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by good hands
Mark,

You did come home fine. the car protected you the way it was suppose to. You may not even have a sore neck if you were wearing a Hans. Without sounding like Dr. Phil marriage is about compromise and about supporting each other. Although my wife doesn't exactly love me doing DE's she knows it's my only vice and passion so she supports me 100 %. ( And I reciprocate with season tickets to the ballet ) If this is something you are passionate about you may end up resenting her if she insists you stop. Then again if this whole epsisode scared the sh*t out of you and you would like to stop on your own accord then that is different all together.

I agree about giving it some time to sink in before you make any final decisions .

Seeing a concrete barrier coming at me at 50+ mph did scare the sh*t out of me. I keep reviewing the incident in my mind and am continually traumatized. However, I figure if I can survive that kind of an impact the safety technology today truly is amazing and I'd probably climb back on the horse if I didn't understand that I shouldn't have been doing it in the first place given my wife's objection. I hope I don't develop resentment. I've been married 20 yrs and know that there are always situations which can breed resentment, but only if I allow that to happen.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chrisc
Glad to hear you are ok, too bad about the "yellow cab", Doc John will be upset but glad you are ok.

Chris
Tell John hi for me. I loved the car and sorry I had to send it to the large junkyard in the sky.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mdrums
Hey Mark, I am going to miss you at the track! I am glad I got to meet you and I hope things work out. I for one do understand your current decesion.

Anyway, I would suggest that if you really want a hobby and stay around cars you could get into Autocross. I am going to go do some more autocross myself.
Hi Mike,

I enjoyed getting to know you also. Maybe I'll take up autocross. That's probably something I can do in my Jetta TDI. Or maybe I'll get an old 911 and do concours
Old 08-03-2008, 03:06 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Mark,

Sorry to hear this happened, and very sorry that a person chose your thread as a forum to showcase his complete lack of sensitivity and tact.
You know what a consider a "complete lack of sensitivity and tact" ? Someone who enables unsafe driving activities in the name of sensitivity and tact....
Old 08-03-2008, 03:13 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
I was not offended by VR's comments nor am I offended by yours because I agree with you. I had no business out there in the first place. Bad on me and thanks for being honest. Hopefully I'm showing a modicum of class by admitting when I was wrong.
Mark when you're ready, climb into a inexpensive track car like my Boxster or a 944, etc. M. Drum's gave some great advise about autocrossing. It's a great idea for incrementally getting back into performance driving. You can develope your car control skills in a safe environment and still have a blast. Go-carts are another venue that's safe, relatively inexpensive, and a great learning experience. Good luck....
Old 08-03-2008, 03:23 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Blake have you considered Kent Moore's Premier Sportscar Service down in Las Vegas?
That is "plan B" JR, once I get a cost assessment from the dealer. Thanks for the advice!

Hang in there Mark.... Perhaps spend some time in go-karts to rebuild that confidence...

-Blake

Last edited by blake; 08-03-2008 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,538 Likes on 811 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
I was not offended by VR's comments nor am I offended by yours because I agree with you. I had no business out there in the first place. Bad on me and thanks for being honest. Hopefully I'm showing a modicum of class by admitting when I was wrong.
Dude, thank you for saying that. I think I was pretty sympathetic about your accident and about encouraging you to assess what happened when emotions calmed down, in the hope you would not give up the sport. Accidents happen, and I never castigated you in any way for that, as you know. You were driving a properly equipped car, and its safety features worked. 'Nuff said!!!
Old 08-03-2008, 03:46 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Ah but I do, genius, as nearly everyone here knows. So you lose again.

Also, it is very telling that you would, once again, show your insensitivity to those with true mental handicaps (besides yourself) by using the word "retarded" as a pejorative.
Higher , higher !
Old 08-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

You know what a consider a "complete lack of sensitivity and tact" ? Someone who enables unsafe driving activities in the name of sensitivity and tact....
Seriously. I am amazed that some folks here seem to be a bit...um....over-sensitive.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Higher , higher !
Yes, you appear to be exactly that.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:54 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Yes, you appear to be exactly that.
Yes Hmmm i wonder why anyone would find you , ahhh, crass
Attached Images  
Old 08-03-2008, 04:09 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Maybe you and the other delicate flowers here should all coalesce in the Singing Kumbaya Forum.
Old 08-03-2008, 04:45 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 474 Likes on 252 Posts

JR,

Wasn't referring to your post (I agree with you) .

Regards,
Matt
Old 08-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Higher, Higher! my little reprobate and wanna be racer numbnut !

LOL,, low class at it's best , if you had a car V.ery R.etarded , we could actually meet at the track so you could " show Me " the way ....LOL........
A.

I usually don't get involved in your squabbles.

But you've managed to hit my main nerve, not Dave's.

I'm sure a guy as smart and literate as you can come up with something more clever and sharp than "retarded"

You can remove it, or I'll remove it for you.

If you use it again, you'll enjoy a little time on the sidelines.

Call it your misfortune to come up against a moderator who has a family member with Down Syndrome.

Thanks for making Rennlist a kinder and gentler place.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:29 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

I want to reiterate that regardless of club rules, anytime you venture out onto a high speed track like Sebring you should have certain safety equipment. Out here in Lala land that includes:
Approved helmet and Hans or Issac devise
5-6 point harness properly attached
Approved racing seat and guides with holes for the shoulder belts
Minimum a properly mounted roll bar like DAS Sports, perferably a roll cage.

Again I say this regardless of your club's minimum standards...

Quick Reply: Crashed at Sebring, need a new hobby