Crashed at Sebring, need a new hobby

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 10:07 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 660 Likes on 355 Posts

Randy,

Thanks for asking. I'm doing fine in all respects, thank God. I would like to do some auto-x as a way to work my way back into some aspect of motorsport. I've been thinking of a Boxster and have been doing a little checking of cars on autotrader and Rennlist. I figure it would make a nice car for this purpose plus I enjoy open top driving around town. Anyhow, I love Rennlist and read most of the Racing/DE threads.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:24 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 on the Boxster. I had one and really liked it. I may have another one someday.

I've done some AXing. Getting good is very challenging. Great idea. Good luck.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:38 PM
dblapex
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Danny Shields is still at it? wow, he was tearing it up 10 years ago.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:48 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Good to see you Mark. I will be at Sebring in September if the need for speed is too much drop by and I can hook you up with my car. Shhhhhh wifey does not need to know consider it crew time.

Glad all is well, Cheers
Old 08-22-2008, 09:54 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Christian,

Wow, thanks for the offer. I'd love to try out your mini-GT3. Not sure I can make it in September but maybe somewhere down the road!
Old 08-22-2008, 09:56 PM
dblapex
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Christian20
I will be at Sebring in September if the need for speed is too much drop by and I can hook you up with my car. Shhhhhh wifey does not need to know consider it crew time.
you know my wife has been really giving me a hard time about coming to the track.............................................can I drive the Demi Cup?
Old 08-22-2008, 10:08 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

B: no problem you can help sort it out. Of course normal track rules apply you break it you buy me a REAL Cup.

I will be at PBOC in early sept and PCA mid sept swing by, no worries.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:57 PM
kabel_Boxster
Racer

Mark I replied in your other thread with the same...

Mark, there are three clubs here in Central FL you can run autox with, The local SCCA, the Martin Sports Car Club (MSCC), & the Citrus Region PCA (do you have a pcar still or are a PCA member still?).

SCCA (cfrsolo2.com) is a great bunch and they have events up at a decommissioned airstrip up by the Deland Airport and at BCC in Palm Bay, check their site for event dates and registration info (I used to be a member).

MSCC is a local private club ( I am a member), we hold an event every month and all but two of those are at the Lake County Tech Center in Taveres. Small lot but we have fun. visit the website martinsportscarclub.net for event dates and registration info, preregistration is required for nonmembers.

PCA autocross events are usually at the above Lake County site as well. Though we have started using Sebring - in fact, by invitation of the Citrus PCA, the Martin club was holding an autox at Sebring that same weekend you had your unfortunate accident. Events are generally once a month, but they take a few months off in the heat of the summer, next one may be as early as October. Visit the website and look at the calendar, www.flcitrusregion.org

I know nothing about DE's, but many of the people i talk to that do track days find autox to be fun, just not the same kind of event. A typical autocross only provides about 2 min of actual seat time. Which at first seems odd that you would spend all day at an event only to get 3 or 4 - 30 second runs and call that fun, but there is more to the autox encounter you just need to experience.

Bring the daily driver out and have some fun, then decide if you want to become more competitive at it. I attend every MSCC and PCA event I can, if you have any question, post up here or send me a PM. I'd be happy to tell you more about the local clubs.

Citrus PCA had announce our next three autox events:

Sunday, Sept. 21
Sunday, Oct. 5
Sunday, Nov. 16

Christian, I was ogling your boxster earlier today, looking good!
Old 09-10-2008, 10:11 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Trailer for sale

As a followup to this saga, I have decided that if I do DE's again in the future it will be with a street car to start, so I've decided to sell my trailer. I've posted details in classified if anyone is interested.
Attached Images   
Old 09-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
As a followup to this saga, I have decided that if I do DE's again in the future it will be with a street car to start
The they cycle continues....
Old 09-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Nope, according to my first wife, that's not true.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:38 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Dell and Wayne (and the rest of you guys): re VR, the ignore function is your friend. Life's just too short ...

Jack
Old 09-24-2009, 10:01 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm prepared to jump back into the DE hobby after a year away. I did an event with the wife's blessing at PBIR a few months after the Sebring crash, and am registered with PCA for the Roebling Road event next month.

Quick question. The Boxster had Yokohama ES100 rubber on it when I bought it and there is still some decent tread left. However, at PBIR I didn't like the grip. It seemed way less that what I had with the pilot sports on the GT3. Is it possible that this is a factor of the better handling of the GT3, or are these Yokohama tires not really ideal for track duty and are way less capable than the pilot sports? I plan to go back to pilot sports, but had wanted to wait til I wore out the Yoko's. Maybe it would be good practice in car control having tires with less grip?
Old 09-24-2009, 11:27 PM
kabel_Boxster
Racer

The Yoko ES100's are a gripless tire, old technology. ditch them as soon as you can and get something better, Yoko AD08, Pilot sports, Potenza RE-11...
Old 09-25-2009, 02:47 AM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Do you have any pictures of the car? I'm curious to see how the cage held up, etc...

Quick Reply: Crashed at Sebring, need a new hobby