Crashed at Sebring, need a new hobby

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 07:14 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 354 Posts
Default Crashed at Sebring, need a new hobby

I'm at home nursing a whiplash injury after losing control of my BMW and hitting amost head on into a concrete barrier at probably 50mph (may have been faster-I am just guessing). Anyhow it happened at turn 16. I early apexed and ran out of track on trackout. I tried to drive straight out into the grass and I'm not quite sure why I couldn't. The car went uncontrollable pretty quick when I hit the grass. It went across the track to the right impacting the concrete barrier. Not hitting head probably saved me a worse outcome. As it is the car impacted at probably a 45 degree angle which spun it resulting in a second hit from the rear. Both me and the friend who was riding with me to check out my car (similar to his) where fine. I immediately felt like I do when I've been out of the gym and do a strenous workout....massive muscle soreness in the neck.

My wife asked me why I have to let something like this happen before I listen to her. (she never liked this hobby) I say the roll cage and 6 point harness did the job and I walked away. She did not see the virtue in that analysis of the situation. :-)) Anyhow, looks like I'll be playing more tennis on weekends as I've assured her I will give up the hobby. The car was totalled and I gave it to the two truck operator in return for getting it out of there.

I was too upset to take photos. It was a sad sight. Glad I sold the GT3. Speaking of which, just before I went out on that fateful run, my local Porsche salesman called me to say he'd taken a Black GT3 RS in trade on a GT2. I am not interested but told him I'd mention it on Rennlist. It has 5000 miles and the dealer is asking $150k for it. If you are interested google Porsche of Orlando and ask for Justice.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:19 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Mark, sorry about this. I can't recommend a new hobby. After each accident I've had, I keep coming back and am having more fun than ever.

Out of curiosity, were you wearing any head & neck restraint?

I'm sorry to hear you gave the car to the tow truck guy. I have to believe it is worth way, way more parted out than the few hundred $ the tow truck guy likely wanted to move it.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:31 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Wow, Mark, sorry to hear. Glad you two were unhurt.

After several days, try to reconstruct the accident in your mind. It may help get past it, and realize that this sport--dangers and all--is alright.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Mark, sorry about this. I can't recommend a new hobby. After each accident I've had, I keep coming back and am having more fun than ever.

Out of curiosity, were you wearing any head & neck restraint?

I'm sorry to hear you gave the car to the tow truck guy. I have to believe it is worth way, way more parted out than the few hundred $ the tow truck guy likely wanted to move it.
Ironically I have a Hans device ordered but it hadn't arrived yet. I can still get the car back if I want. Quite frankly it is really badly banged up and I don't have the desire to deal with it. I'd be very surprised if the engine is any good as the front of it was badly compromised by the impact. I just wanted to close this chapter quickly so I made an impulse decision to give it away. He told me that if I change my mind to call him. He gave me his card.

My wife was upset with me for not having listened to her about how dangerous this hobby is. I love my wife dearly and decided that I don't want to continue to cause any conflict in my marriage by continuing after this. Plus it scared the crap out of me heading straight at that wall at high speed. I thought I'd bought the farm. I'm very grateful to only have a sore neck. The car had a cage and a 6 point harness. I am quite impressed how well protected I was after that horrible of a crash.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:42 PM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sorry to hear this. Glad your were able to walk away with just a sore neck.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:49 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Mark, sorry to hear about your shunt. Have a few drinks and relax and let emotion leave the rational thought process you are searching for.

This sport can be cruel at times but it rewards us in ways NOBODY can understand unless they experience it themselves. My wife thought the same way yours does until she finally let me convince her to do a DE (1 day) and by the end of the day she couldn't believe how much fun it was. She got hooked and now we do DE's together. She hasn't been on the track in a while since we had our baby. Her last time on track was in my GT3 and she had an off at triple digit speeds (kink at CMP) and came in with a grin from ear to ear.

Glad to hear your going to be fine.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Dell,

Thanks for the encouragement and best wishes. I have an idea your wife is more open minded than mine. I can't visualize her EVER doing a DE. She is a wonderful gal, but I'll never convince her that the hobby is largely pretty safe.....especially after this incident. I'd love to buy your GT3, but I am quite certain it would result in a divorce. No car is worth a divorce. :-))
Old 08-02-2008, 07:59 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Mark, truth be told, it was my wife that bought the GT3 for me! She went for a hot lap in the right seat of an instructor's speed yellow GT3 one day many years ago (I think it was the weekend she did her first DE) and came off the track and told me, THAT IS THE CAR YOUR GETTING! Next thing I know that was my birthday gift.

She's a little torn right now about me selling the car but thinks it's the right decision as I want to go racing and we both want the beach house fund to get going

And yes, your right, NO CAR is worth divorce. Well, at least when you have as great a wife as some of us do!
Old 08-02-2008, 08:00 PM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark:

Glad you are OK and I feel for you. On a very light side and only trying to make you feel better the tennis injury I have on my right foot has lasted 1.5 years++ far worse than what you describe from your shunt. I had to give up tennis to drive, go figure.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:05 PM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark - I'm so sorry. As for the new hobby - there were some great clips here of a helicopter - looked like it was doing an autocross using trees for cones.

I hope that you'll still consider bringing the wife to the track to hang out with the guys. Maybe that will get both your feet wet...
Old 08-02-2008, 08:14 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to be a skydiver before giving that up and going to the track. Leave "learn to skydive" pamphlet on your table and you'll be back in a car in no time, trust me
Old 08-02-2008, 08:50 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Massage therapy will work like a champ. It will feel so good that it might become the new hobby. Make sure you get a good check by a medical professional. With the helmet weight and the impact the Cs could be tweeked.
It took my neck 6 months to heal. My chiropractor and massage therapy person did a great job.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:52 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sjanes
I used to be a skydiver before giving that up and going to the track. Leave "learn to skydive" pamphlet on your table and you'll be back in a car in no time, trust me
That is great. I told my wife I wanted to go to a motorcycle racing school. The following Christmas my gift was 3 days with Skippy in Laguna Seca:-)
Old 08-02-2008, 09:13 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
No car is worth a divorce. :-))

Wanna bet?

Last edited by Veloce Raptor; 02-20-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:20 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

While I see the humor in your post VR, I have to respectfully disagree. When you have a wife as great as some of us do, even the "temptation" you illustrate in your pic still doesn't justify the outcome.

Quick Reply: Crashed at Sebring, need a new hobby