Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crashed at Sebring, need a new hobby

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 10:07 AM
chrisc
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad to hear you are ok, too bad about the "yellow cab", Doc John will be upset but glad you are ok. I think most of us have had that experience at some time in our pursuit of the hobby. When I raced SCCA always found it good to forget about it for a few days (weeks?) and then make a decision. Same thing for the wife, initial reaction from her was to quit but she always softened after a few days.

Get the car back, part it out and look for something else to track, maybe a street/ track car like a 944. Sold as a rock and relatively cheap to operate.

Chris
Old 08-03-2008, 10:27 AM
good hands
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
Larry,

In retrospect I'm at least partially at fault for how this has played out in terms of my wife's view on it. I've always maintained to my wife that this isn't that dangerous of a hobby. (I still maintain that driving on public roads is comparably dangerous) Up til the crash yesterday she couldn't argue since I came home fine each time. Now she can say "see I told you so"
Mark,

You did come home fine. the car protected you the way it was suppose to. You may not even have a sore neck if you were wearing a Hans. Without sounding like Dr. Phil marriage is about compromise and about supporting each other. Although my wife doesn't exactly love me doing DE's she knows it's my only vice and passion so she supports me 100 %. ( And I reciprocate with season tickets to the ballet ) If this is something you are passionate about you may end up resenting her if she insists you stop. Then again if this whole epsisode scared the sh*t out of you and you would like to stop on your own accord then that is different all together.

I agree about giving it some time to sink in before you make any final decisions .
Old 08-03-2008, 10:57 AM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

I tried something new this weekend, I took my wife and daughter with me and dropped them off in Toronto at a nice hotel while I am attending my first race at Mosport. They took a Niagara Falls tour yesterday. I came back to have dinner with them Friday (my daughter's 16th birthday) and Saturday night. Now it's Sunday morning and I am trying to decide whether to have some fun with them on this gorgeous day in Toronto (a very nice city!) or go back for the enduro. But I can't stay to the end of the enduro as I have an early flight home... and next weekend is VIR (without the family). So I think I will hang out in the city, and conserve some $ and wear on the car, as I learned the track pretty well (within a tenth of a second of the fastest GTC4 time in sprint2 but a few seconds off the lap record) and look forward to being more competitive next year.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:58 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear Mark but don't be so quick to abondon something you love to do.

When I was doing dirt bikes, I had few bad chrashes, dislocated limbs etc., conciderd all the risks onvolved but still always kept going as I loved doing it but of course these are always personal choices and no one else except you can make that decision for you.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Seems like VR has a new member in his fan club.
LOL! Like I give 2 ****s what Wayne's World (who has never been on track in his life) thinks about me. The fact that he goes out of his way to mention me in the vast majority of his posts speaks volumes. Hell, he is too dumb to even know the difference between "your" and "you're", which most of us learned in the third grade.

Dell, relax, man. You are WAY too wrapped around the axle on this. Again, your thin skin confuses sarcasm with what you label as "lack of class". Sorry, cupcake, but the two are not (in this thread) related. If you don't like that FACT, put me on ignore. I could not care less.
Old 08-03-2008, 11:28 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Lou L
Boy, this is a tough bunch!!! Glad to hear you're ok Mark - I hate to see you make a hasty decision and give your car to the tow company - but I understand the decision was made at an emotional time. Take a few days - reflect on what happen and re-evaluate - if then, if you still feel the same way about the car and this hobby - god bless and move on to something new - enjoy life - it's too short - so do what feels right and what makes YOU happy!

Lou Lipari
1992 968 Firehawk
PCA Nationally Certified Instructor
+ 1 on these comments. We are not all lucky to have wifes that will support 100% what we do. My wife barely accepts it and although I have been under pressure to stop after my Sebring accident ( ironic ha?) ultimately she accepted the fact that this is who I am and without it in my life I would not be the same person. Ultimately she accepted this, I guess I had to point out a couple of times that when she married me it was crystal clear to her what my passion/hobby is...
Do what is right for your situation, but also be a bit selfish and examine what kind of a person you will be in the future without doing what you love. Resentment is very dangerous in a relationship in the years to come. Good luck to you.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:02 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
LOL! Like I give 2 ****s what Wayne's World (who has never been on track in his life) thinks about me. The fact that he goes out of his way to mention me in the vast majority of his posts speaks volumes. Hell, he is too dumb to even know the difference between "your" and "you're", which most of us learned in the third grade.

Dell, relax, man. You are WAY too wrapped around the axle on this. Again, your thin skin confuses sarcasm with what you label as "lack of class". Sorry, cupcake, but the two are not (in this thread) related. If you don't like that FACT, put me on ignore. I could not care less.
Higher, Higher! my little reprobate and wanna be racer numbnut !

LOL,, low class at it's best , if you had a car V.ery R.etarded , we could actually meet at the track so you could " show Me " the way ....LOL........
Old 08-03-2008, 12:04 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blake
I'll be taking my "3" into the dealer on Monday for an assessment of the damage. Blake
Blake have you considered Kent Moore's Premier Sportscar Service down in Las Vegas?
Old 08-03-2008, 12:40 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 256 Posts

Mark,

Sorry to hear this happened, and very sorry that a person chose your thread as a forum to showcase his complete lack of sensitivity and tact.

I would second some previous posters re. stripping everything useful (and valuable) off your e30.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:50 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Injuries in DEs, best I can surmise, are EXTREMELY rare.
Unless we are also counting the paddock. Injuries while watching a DE are somewhat common....

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Injuries and deaths are rare enough so that I am sure any measure is not statistically significant, but based on personal experience, I think the injury rate is pretty close to highway but the fatality rate seems higher.
Also not a fair comparison when the NTSE statistics are for roads with speed limits.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:19 PM
early_grayce
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Mark,

Sorry to hear this happened, and very sorry that a person chose your thread as a forum to showcase his complete lack of sensitivity and tact.
+1

And I can't believe I didn't think of the "ignore" function. I was contemplating taking a few weeks away from this forum hoping that someone would disappear or at least quiet down, but instead I just decided to ignore them.
It makes my world a better place. I highly recommend it.

It amazes me that some people never understood: if you have nothing nice/constructive to say, don't say anything at all.
If that ever applied to a situation it would be this one.

Taking some time off is a great idea. Whether or not you return to the hobby will be something you decide later, with your family, no rush. Enjoy the summer.

Hope you feel better soon
Old 08-03-2008, 02:14 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,599 Likes on 832 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
if you had a car V.ery R.etarded , we could actually meet at the track so you could " show Me " the way ....LOL........
Ah but I do, genius, as nearly everyone here knows. So you lose again.

Also, it is very telling that you would, once again, show your insensitivity to those with true mental handicaps (besides yourself) by using the word "retarded" as a pejorative.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Glad you are ok. Buy a great street olny car,Aston? and take up triathalons !
Old 08-03-2008, 02:52 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Dell what are you smoking back there on Tabacco Road tonight? VR never questioned his martial backbone, he just posted a funny pic and made a stupid joke that even included sheep (not that there's anything wrong with that). And I never questioned his driving, just his state of mind on the track since he mentioned his wife's nagging about 20-30 times. The guy shouldn't have been on the track in the first place without the complete understanding/agreement from his wife. You guys with the understanding wives know that. The fact that he ran knowing she objected is all I need to know about him. Of course we're all sorry he crashed and relieved that no one was injured. Class is relative. Was running regardless of his wife's concerns a class act?
I was not offended by VR's comments nor am I offended by yours because I agree with you. I had no business out there in the first place. Bad on me and thanks for being honest. Hopefully I'm showing a modicum of class by admitting when I was wrong.

Last edited by Mark Dreyer; 08-03-2008 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 02:53 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Lou L
Boy, this is a tough bunch!!! Glad to hear you're ok Mark - I hate to see you make a hasty decision and give your car to the tow company - but I understand the decision was made at an emotional time. Take a few days - reflect on what happen and re-evaluate - if then, if you still feel the same way about the car and this hobby - god bless and move on to something new - enjoy life - it's too short - so do what feels right and what makes YOU happy!

Lou Lipari
1992 968 Firehawk
PCA Nationally Certified Instructor
Lou, thanks for the kind comments. I enjoyed the DE I did with you as my instructor. Stay safe out there!

Quick Reply: Crashed at Sebring, need a new hobby