Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your cool shirt inlet pipe dribble into the cooler like this?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 08:09 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

So Shaffer looked at it and deemed it functions as it should and sent it back to you? I'm confused now on this one. It appears that water is coming in to the cooler at the prescribed rate (spec threshold) so what is the problem at this point? Is water flowing through the shirt? I know we all want to se you get a satisfactory resolution and I know Shaffer are very good people to deal with so there has to be a proper ending to this.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:39 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are two data points you can rely on:

1. My CS dribbles at the 4oz in 10 seconds rate that CS specifies as normal.
2. Its cooling performance is normal. Feels about the same as every CS rig I've had, and this one is the third different pump I've tried.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:54 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd B
Mark did you measure the flow, yours looks like mine. All this talk about flow, I went and bought a bigger pump to try, guess what? flow was the same, with or without the suit. (I have spare plugs). It looks like the limitation is the connections.
Hey, Todd,

I did not measure the flow other than the ole "eyeball gauge". When I first got the cool shirt last summer, I, of course, took a peek at the inner workings of the cooler so I could see how fast the water was moving. I was impressed with the gusher of water coming into the cooler and remembered thinking that that high of a flow rate might perhaps melt the ice more quickly.

Now, the rate is appreciably slower, that slowness being very evident in reduced coolking effectiveness. Last summer, the cold water would slam into the cool shirt like Zeus lancing me with a frozen lightning bolt. Now, I sit in my car thinking "Is this thing working?"

Originally Posted by LVDell
So Shaffer looked at it and deemed it functions as it should and sent it back to you? I'm confused now on this one. It appears that water is coming in to the cooler at the prescribed rate (spec threshold) so what is the problem at this point? Is water flowing through the shirt? I know we all want to se you get a satisfactory resolution and I know Shaffer are very good people to deal with so there has to be a proper ending to this.
Thanks, Dell. I sent it back and Shaffer replaced the pump motor (had the red and white pump) with the blue and white model (pictured). I think they also replaced the cooler lines. My lines are not kinked at all.

I am going to try running the cooler with the engine running as a last-ditch effort before I call Shaffer. When I first tested it last year, the engine was not running, and the pump worked perfectly.

Originally Posted by APKhaos
Here are two data points you can rely on:

1. My CS dribbles at the 4oz in 10 seconds rate that CS specifies as normal.
2. Its cooling performance is normal. Feels about the same as every CS rig I've had, and this one is the third different pump I've tried.

Thanks, TK.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:05 AM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

When I have the connections reversed it was flowing about 1/2 and when i corrected the connections the flow was exactly what they said it would be. (just fyi)

Mike
Old 09-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikew968
When I have the connections reversed it was flowing about 1/2 and when i corrected the connections the flow was exactly what they said it would be. (just fyi)

Mike
Didn't work for me one iota.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe it's a wiring problem in your car? Something like not enough voltage or amperage?
Old 09-03-2008, 05:35 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by APKhaos
THat's about how I made my first cool shirt system.

FWIW, the standard retail coolers suffer from a slosh leakage problem. They are not even lightly sealed around the lid, and they dump water when cornering until they are sufficiently emptied to prevent further spillage. The early cool shirt coolers were the same, and everyone had the same problem. A couple of years ago, Cool Shirt came out with coolers that have nicely sealed lids with positive locks. These are the only coolers I know that solve the slosh problem, but I couldn't find a source aside from the Chinese manufacturer who only sells in LCL lots.

I am working on building a cool suit system. It is mostly done right now, but still needs a few touches. If it works out really well I may consider making them to sell. Right now I just need to make sure my prototype works.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:57 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

I just spoke with Tom at Shaffer, a very nice guy. He said that the flow rate should be 4 oz/10 seconds. I did test it and, lo and behold, the flow rate is about 4 oz/10 seconds. Technically, there's nothing wrong with it, at least as far as Shaffer's minimum guidelines are concerned. Additionally, I did notice that one of my connections wasn't connected properly, but this situation had no bearing on the flow rate once rectified, nor did any water leak out as a result of the condition.

I did mention to Tom that my cooler definitely moved water far faster last year when I first got the cooler. There exists the real possibility that my first pump had an exceptionally high flow rate that mysteriously dropped after a few months.

Sitting in the car while wearing the cool shirt, I could feel it coursing through the tubes . . . but it still didn't feel as good as previous tests. I, however, cannot argue with the fact that it is meeting the minimum flow rate.
Old 09-09-2008, 02:20 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Mark, just to give you another data point. I just took delivery of my new (to me) race car and it had a cool shirt system in it. the cool shirt cooler seems to be a much older one (pic attached) compared to my new one pictured in post #6. I also unscrewed the motor so I could get a good shot of the type, etc, for you.

Since there is no cover in the old one I figured I'd test it out....stopwatch for ten seconds and a measuring cup with tube in it. Results??? I got 7 oz in 10 sec.

My guess is that your motor is NOT getting a good power level supply. Have you tested the connection for volt level?
Attached Images     
Old 09-09-2008, 03:19 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

I always look at the clear hose that plugs into my shirt after I hook it up and turn it on for a quick test before hitting the track. You should see the bubbles move through the tube fast, then it will fill with water but you can still see how fast the fluid is going when debris or small bubbles go by. It should be going by quite fast. If not, there is a problem. Recently my FAST cool suit has has some slowness but it seems ok after a while. Sometimes I think a piece of ice may block the inlet?
Old 09-09-2008, 03:23 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LVDell
Mark, just to give you another data point. I just took delivery of my new (to me) race car and it had a cool shirt system in it. the cool shirt cooler seems to be a much older one (pic attached) compared to my new one pictured in post #6. I also unscrewed the motor so I could get a good shot of the type, etc, for you.

Since there is no cover in the old one I figured I'd test it out....stopwatch for ten seconds and a measuring cup with tube in it. Results??? I got 7 oz in 10 sec.

My guess is that your motor is NOT getting a good power level supply. Have you tested the connection for volt level?
Thanks, Dell. I have not tested the connection and will have my mechanic do that. I'd love to have 7 oz in 10 seconds, which is probably what I had before.

Originally Posted by analogmike
I always look at the clear hose that plugs into my shirt after I hook it up and turn it on for a quick test before hitting the track. You should see the bubbles move through the tube fast, then it will fill with water but you can still see how fast the fluid is going when debris or small bubbles go by. It should be going by quite fast. If not, there is a problem. Recently my FAST cool suit has has some slowness but it seems ok after a while. Sometimes I think a piece of ice may block the inlet?
Thanks, Mike.

Quick Reply: Does your cool shirt inlet pipe dribble into the cooler like this?