Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your cool shirt inlet pipe dribble into the cooler like this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 09:52 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

damn
Old 07-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

I just bought Cool system- sounds like I would have been better off building my own even though I'm all thumbs as a mechanic (not much better driver).

There appears to be a opportunity for an enterprising DIYer (who is not all thumbs) to build a better mousetrap and market it here.
Old 07-23-2008, 11:36 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Ritter
I just bought Cool system- sounds like I would have been better off building my own even though I'm all thumbs as a mechanic (not much better driver).
There appears to be a opportunity for an enterprising DIYer (who is not all thumbs) to build a better mousetrap and market it here.
Other than the shirt (and maybe the flex lines) itself I agree, source a cooler, a pump, and go from there.

I just wrote to both companies mentioned explaining the current situation and the general design of the system. I'm thinking of trying the Attwood pump but whenever I try and save a few bucks it ends up costing me double....
Old 07-23-2008, 11:50 AM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Mine came with the V500 pump but Shaffer is now using a more self contained system. I think if you were goiing to do a replacement what you really want is a live well pump just make sure the gpm and pressure is correct. Gary I believe you have a defect in the pump or lines someplace.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:21 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mikew968
Mine came with the V500 pump but Shaffer is now using a more self contained system. I think if you were goiing to do a replacement what you really want is a live well pump just make sure the gpm and pressure is correct. Gary I believe you have a defect in the pump or lines someplace.
It isn't the lines so it must be the pump. I'm sure they will replace it as Rich S. really wants to stand behind his products from the conversation we had. My issue is that for the hassle and cost of shipping it back, replacing the pump, etc. I may as well buy a better quality pump, fix it myself, and never have to worry about it. Sean sent his back, they put a new pump in, and it is still useless (low flow).
Old 07-23-2008, 12:30 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you guys have the older system. I have the new design and it does the same thing. I guess they both have the same pump.

Mikew968: 500 GPM. Wow! Serious flow. That otta be enough for a waterfall in a Coy fish pond.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:34 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by paradisenb
Sounds like you guys have the older system. I have the new design and it does the same thing. I guess they both have the same pump.

Mikew968: 500 GPM. Wow! Serious flow. That otta be enough for a waterfall in a Coy fish pond.
Does the same thing as in low flow? Mine (pics in this thread) seems to flow quite nicely. I ran it yesterday for the first time and was very impressed.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:43 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could it be a lift issue? Gary and Sean when I saw you guys compare flow rates at the LRP Club Race you had the ends pretty high relative to the pump. Could it be that they can't push/lift water that high?

I don't have a cool suit...just trying to help shed some light.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:33 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chrisp
Could it be a lift issue? Gary and Sean when I saw you guys compare flow rates at the LRP Club Race you had the ends pretty high relative to the pump. Could it be that they can't push/lift water that high?

I don't have a cool suit...just trying to help shed some light.
While different pumps have different flow per lift height, that isn't the issue here Chris (though a pump that can push to a 10' lift at 2 GPM is going to have more capability than one that can't). My pump pushed about twice the water Sean's did but it's moot as if it stops pumping while i'm driving who cares!
Old 07-23-2008, 05:50 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Just heard from John Ladew (sp?) at Cool Shirt. At first, he thought the issues were due to an incorrectly fitted tube (one that I had installed after the original one split. When he tested the pump without conncting it to the lines, he said it developed enough pressure. He was going to ship it off to me but did one more test with the cooler hooked to the lines and shirt and said that it didn't develop enough pressure when everything was hooked up. As a result, he swapped out the old red and white pump with an entirely new-looking pump, apparently a blue and white one

I hope this takes care of the issues. John was super nice. Also, he said that it didn't seem as if my tubes were clogged with crud.

FYI.
Old 07-23-2008, 05:58 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Just heard from John Ladew (sp?) at Cool Shirt. At first, he thought the issues were due to an incorrectly fitted tube (one that I had installed after the original one split. When he tested the pump without conncting it to the lines, he said it developed enough pressure. He was going to ship it off to me but did one more test with the cooler hooked to the lines and shirt and said that it didn't develop enough pressure when everything was hooked up. As a result, he swapped out the old red and white pump with an entirely new-looking pump, apparently a blue and white one

I hope this takes care of the issues. John was super nice. Also, he said that it didn't seem as if my tubes were clogged with crud.

FYI.
I just removed my Blue and White one and replaced it with a solid blue one (exact same pump, bought it a couple months ago). I see no difference in flow, running it now and will try it out 8/5 at Limerock. If it craps out i'm going with the super-pump...
Old 07-23-2008, 09:53 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Good luck with it. I will be on the track at MO the middle of August so I will know then.

Mike
Old 07-23-2008, 11:03 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
It isn't the lines so it must be the pump.
How do you know that for sure? Maybe one of the quick disconnect valves isn't opening up all the way?
Old 07-23-2008, 11:10 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
How do you know that for sure? Maybe one of the quick disconnect valves isn't opening up all the way?
Greg - If I simply pop a line and draw on it manually I can hear the pump cycle and the flow starts again. Do I "know" that for sure? Nope. As for the QD valves, I either have full flow or 0 flow (and the pump never stops running)... it's the pump losing suction. I'm no genius but it doesn't take one to see the issue in this case...

Pump moves water.
Water stops moving.
Lines are free.
Pump isn't clogged.
Pump is running.
A quick suck on the pump outlet gets water flowing again.
Maybe it's the phase of the moon...
Old 07-23-2008, 11:37 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cavitation perhaps?

Quick Reply: Does your cool shirt inlet pipe dribble into the cooler like this?