Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A dentist friend of mine is looking into doing DEs.......

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

RUF CTR
Old 07-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Barfly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
My Caymans S is sitting (quitely) in my garage......that is all I would need to win my DEs when I move to Black.......no need to buy another car...........
I saw a few Cayman's last week. You might need an AWD EVO instead.

http://www.vimeo.com/1288201

It was the first time I had a chance to get the car out this year. It needs a better home.

______
Jason
Old 07-08-2008, 09:07 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DanR
Dr, you have an amazing habbit of starting the longest thread on a consistent basis, yet non of them ever seem to stay on topic...... you must contribute to 95% of server space usage
Should I take that as an insult or compliment?........

I think my threads are "non invasive" and everyone partecipation is necessary in order to be successful.........

As far as the topic......that is just a suggestion........
Old 07-08-2008, 09:08 PM
MTosi
User

Sure......maybe you can also teach me how to bleed my brakes.......
The challenge is not bleeding your brakes, it's finding someone who will help that you don't mind wanting to kill you by the time your done (preferably not someone female, ie wife, girlfriend) you also should be willing to spend money on a few beers to bribe a friend (the alcohol is also an important part in the equation, since hopefully they won't have a clear memory of the experience and thusly might by some small chance be willing to do it again)
Old 07-08-2008, 09:11 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pyruvate
I saw a few Cayman's last week. You might need an AWD EVO instead.

http://www.vimeo.com/1288201

It was the first time I had a chance to get the car out this year. It needs a better home.

______
Jason
Nice, but the events I partecipate in are Porsche only..... at least for the non-instructors.......
Old 07-08-2008, 09:16 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MTosi
The challenge is not bleeding your brakes, it's finding someone who will help that you don't mind wanting to kill you by the time your done (preferably not someone female, ie wife, girlfriend) you also should be willing to spend money on a few beers to bribe a friend (the alcohol is also an important part in the equation, since hopefully they won't have a clear memory of the experience and thusly might by some small chance be willing to do it again)
Drinks and food are my bribes.........well?.......
Old 07-08-2008, 09:23 PM
Barfly
Racer

Nice, but the events I partecipate in are Porsche only..... at least for the non-instructors.......
Well, I tried. I believe the majority of the cars in the group were Porches except a very poorly driven Camaro. If it was the same car, it was passed 3 times in the video. No idea how that car got into the "advanced" group.

______
Jason
Old 07-08-2008, 09:57 PM
DanR
Drifting

Should I take that as an insult or compliment?........
:
a compliment, for whatever reason you get people talking
Old 07-08-2008, 10:26 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Thanks Dan......

You better post a video of the new LRP since you will ge there in a couple of weeks......
Old 07-08-2008, 11:44 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As did GR!
Old 07-08-2008, 11:47 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
As did GR!
LOL
Old 07-09-2008, 01:04 AM
pcar928fan
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Read the first few posts and this guy sounds like trouble waiting to happen. I have seen this before in 12 years of track work (mostly DE's) and instruction. Some guy thinks he is (or wants to be Michael S.) and so we go out (usually a green or blue student) and he is doing pretty good but I feel the PSM saving his BUTT every other turn and he wants to turn it off... Well, I will look around and be sure no one is close and tell him (always a HIM, BTW...none of my women students have been this way!) he can turn it off if he wants to but that we will spin... I have not been wrong yet! Usually takes less then 4 corners after the switch has been turned off. Oh, I WON'T turn it off for them either...THEY have to do it!

YMMV, but this guy is going to wad up whatever he gets if he is not EXTREMELY diligent and willing to take instruction...
Old 07-09-2008, 02:33 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

[QUOTE=BostonDMD;5582880]That is what I thought of my Cayman S........

QUOTE]

+1 for the Cayman S . With the Boxster spec classes getting all of the bugs worked out of the 987 model, it will be a good platform to start on and the modes for it will be getting more available as his abilities increase. IMHO the Caymans are going to be the next generation 944s for PCA racing. With a used base model he can do quite alot of modifications to it and still stay in his budget. The other good thing is that like the 944 it even makes beginners look good.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by pcar928fan
Read the first few posts and this guy sounds like trouble waiting to happen. I have seen this before in 12 years of track work (mostly DE's) and instruction. Some guy thinks he is (or wants to be Michael S.) and so we go out (usually a green or blue student) and he is doing pretty good but I feel the PSM saving his BUTT every other turn and he wants to turn it off... Well, I will look around and be sure no one is close and tell him (always a HIM, BTW...none of my women students have been this way!) he can turn it off if he wants to but that we will spin... I have not been wrong yet! Usually takes less then 4 corners after the switch has been turned off. Oh, I WON'T turn it off for them either...THEY have to do it!

YMMV, but this guy is going to wad up whatever he gets if he is not EXTREMELY diligent and willing to take instruction...
Well said. The only winners in a DE are the people who get to drive their cars home. A competitive attitude + zero experience + supercar = recipe for disaster. And in terms of what he can afford, you might want to cut the number in half since it sounds quite possible that he may need to buy a second one after he ***** up the first.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Potomac-Greg
Well said. The only winners in a DE are the people who get to drive their cars home. .
Whatever!!! The winners in DE are the guys that pass people in the turns, duh!

Quick Reply: A dentist friend of mine is looking into doing DEs.......