Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A dentist friend of mine is looking into doing DEs.......

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 11:13 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Another +1 on the 997S. Very easy to drive, & very fast. . Contrary to what others say, if you drive it properly, you will not have much if any intervention from the computers. When you do screw up though, they are a nice safety net. A decent driver in a 997S can out-pace a poor driver in a GT3. And the 997S makes a great daily driver.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:15 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

How about one (ok, there is only one) of these: http://www.race-taxi.ch

Kicking *** for the whole family.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:18 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Guys.........Guys........

I am just trying to lend a helping hand here.......

This is the least I can do after all I have learned on this forum and from some of you personally (on my right seat)......
again, I am trying to be helpuful, as helpful as dentists can be.........

(Frank.....I am sure you understand....)
Old 07-07-2008, 11:25 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mglobe
Another +1 on the 997S. Very easy to drive, & very fast. . Contrary to what others say, if you drive it properly, you will not have much if any intervention from the computers. When you do screw up though, they are a nice safety net. A decent driver in a 997S can out-pace a poor driver in a GT3. And the 997S makes a great daily driver.
Never driven either one of them.......

But I am sure these two are on top of the list.....

I like the fact that "if you do screw up" there is a safety net........

There is alot more safety and forgiveness than my good old 1987............

He might like that.....

BTW Sjanes, the taxi is very cool.... but not exactly his cup of tea......
Old 07-07-2008, 11:28 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be careful Paulo, he may start racing before you!
Old 07-07-2008, 11:29 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanR
Be careful Paulo, he may start racing before you!
I wouldn't doubt it......everyone else is.......
Old 07-08-2008, 12:15 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Tell him to buy Ron's 964 cup.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:24 AM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Above all else, don't loan you car as an inducement. A very good dentist friend of mine was dead keen to try this Porsche track stuff, so I loaned him my 911 for a HPDC - car control and lapping clinic for first timers. He managed to loose it on the skid pad and damaged a bunch of lines in the process. That was all cleaned up without a fuss, but I still think about how much worse it could have been!
Old 07-08-2008, 01:04 AM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IBSP

In Before Six Pages!
Old 07-08-2008, 06:54 AM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Paolo, Paolo, why would post this here??? You should also tell him to get a Traqmate and a set of Hoosiers for his first DE too so when he gets loose for the first time and competely totals his car, I can buy his Traqmate. Hopefully he will not get hurt in the process.

Seriously, I think you know all of my theories on this already. I would spend some time with him learning about his motivations and guiding him. Sometimes the protege can become the mentor...
Old 07-08-2008, 07:34 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

wow, is he in luck. My car happens to be for sale for $99,000. I take paypal.
Old 07-08-2008, 07:57 AM
Qwickrick
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Tell him to just buy a racing suit and have someone sew an "Instructor" patch on it like some fool (in a Yellow GT3 shared with his dad) did at a CVR event last year! Talked his way into White, was waaaay over his head, got flagged and dropped to Green, snuck back out in White and refused to come in when Black flagged, refused to go see the steward, and slinked off like the POS he was..
Was this the guy from Florida or California that came to one of our early LRP events a year last year?

Paolo, I'm thinking Cayman S for your dentist friend, but I'm also thinking he's named "Harvey"
Old 07-08-2008, 08:17 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure I'd agree on the Cayman S. Although they seem to be great cars, and if he really wants a "911" and he HAS to spend some $$ to make himself feel good, then I would agree on the 997. I've instructed in them before and they are a fine car. With the sport package it would make a great "beginner" car. It handles, stops and has plenty of power and I believe can come with an LSD (something the Cayman doesn't have). A 996 Gt3 would be similar in $$ and mildly more capable (better brakes, higher rpm) if he wants something in a car to brag about. But again, I've seen more guys in those type cars going slower than anything else on track (and that includes in the upper run groups) and in the end, they look like a dweeb when they can't get out of their own way, let alone a cheaper, "slower" car's way, so where does that leave HIS ego?
Old 07-08-2008, 08:23 AM
smankow
Pro

Paolo, if he's interested in a newer Porsche, I may be able to force myself to part with my 2003 996. It has some track goodies and a 2nd set of wheels. It will be a struggle, but I think that I can find it in my heart to part with this car for under $100K.

then, have him buy Streaks new DVD about getting to black. as your mentor, maybe he'll even let you watch it!!!!

Steve
Old 07-08-2008, 08:30 AM
DarkSideDE
Pro

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
DS,
this individual is a type "A" personality, very successfull, he wants a "real" sports car (911) and wants to be good and fast at it......
I have come across a few. Being around Porsche so many years - we just called them yuppies - and the reason some of the older members didn't care to be active in the region anymore.

If he is as Type A as you say - he knows what he wants and he needs no help from any of us. What you can do is give us his progress report - at the track we'd call him, "an accident waiting to happen."

Quick Reply: A dentist friend of mine is looking into doing DEs.......