Sponsored by:

NASA Hyperfest '08 Video Sat. Sprint Race GTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 10:39 AM
Bull993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NASA Hyperfest '08 Video Sat. Sprint Race GTS

This is the sprint race from Hyperfest Saturday in GTS at Summit Point. I started 5th overall and 1st in GTS4 on poll. I finished 1st in class (eight cars in my class) and 4th overall in GTS. The cars that I am battling with in this video are all GTS5 cars in the video. There was lots of carnage in the race and it ended up being cut short while finishing under double yellow. You will see some Super Unlimited cars go flying by after a while consisting of a white nascar, an outrageous yellow camaro, Rick Deman and company with two white GT3RSR ALMS cars and his customer's black GT3 Cup chasis with a 750HP turbo motor in it. Porsches did well against the BMW's in GTS winning GTS 5, 4, and 2.

Part 1: www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHDGhb0g2IE

Part 2: www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B_iFlNDmdY
Old 06-25-2008, 10:51 AM
magnetic1
Racer

Originally Posted by Bull993tt
Porsches did well against the BMW's in GTS winning GTS 5, 4, and 2.
Not GTS3 There were a few more Porsches in GTS3 that did not make it. Hopefully they can make VIR. Congrats on your GTS4 win!

Nice seeing you again Derek! We'll have to hangout more next time around. You coming to VIR? I have a garage rented, so swing by and say hi!

BTW, that black SU Porsche was nuts. I was fixated on it's flamethrower exhaust

My race recap and videos are in the following link. The flaming exhaust Porsche is in the Sat race video.

http://nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=22713

Race Results: http://mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=322543

-Eric Wong
-#199 IP/GTS3 M3
Old 06-25-2008, 10:54 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 170 Posts

Nice job Derek!
Old 06-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Bull993tt
Rennlist Member

Smile

You are correct Eric. BMW was king both days in GTS3. Congrats on your GTS3 win on Sunday and podium on Saturday. I saw your video on the MA forum... good stuff. We will hook up at VIR in July.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:24 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Nice run! Looks like you and Barry had some back and forth in the first race there. From what I hear, he and my father had a pretty frustrating weekend of broken alternators and running around on corded tires. I think they accomplished the mission of finishing enough races in to qualify for the National Championship though.

This is the first year we've really run much NASA, and unfortunately our car is on the very, very low end of GTS5 and way behind the Porsches and Stickley. Hoping we'll have a little more power for Mid-Ohio and that we'll be able to keep up with the bigger hp cars on such a handling oriented track. Should make for a fun race.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:47 AM
Slantnose!
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Good stuff, fun to watch!
Old 06-25-2008, 01:54 PM
Bull993tt
Rennlist Member

Bryan, I didn't put together that was you this weekend from seeing your posts on Rennlist. I would have introduced myself, sorry about that. Funny story about Barry Battle... His registration and practice / qualifying sheets said he was in my GTS4 class. However, on grid of the Sat. Sprint race I noticed a number 5 on his car. So as we are racing, I am asking myself, is a 4 or 5 car the whole race... it was driving me crazy. So I had to take the safe play and race him like he was a 4 car. In either case, I was fortunate to finish ahead of him, but I will say this... he is a very aggressive driver and he definately kept me on my toes. I went and told him this on Sunday befoer the race to put a little humor on the situation. Yeah, I want to go to NASA Nationals too, but I am skeptical because I haven't driven Mid Ohio before, and just don't know if I can be competitive. "John H" the returning GTS4 National champ wants me to make the trip, but it is his back yard there you know. Streit is very fast too. I guess I will stew on it for a while on what to do. By the way, the Summit Point as gone to sh_t since it was paved in October. There are more bumps then ever before...
Old 06-25-2008, 02:11 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

I unfortunately wasn't there...that was my father racing. Based on your laptimes at Summit, I bet you'd be pretty competitive at Mid-O. It definitely favors handling over horsepower which is our only hope...with some decent tires, we can definitely out handle most of the GTS5 folks. It's a lot harder to pass in the corners than on the straights though.

I heard that the track was awful. I'll see for myself soon enough when we go back for the BMW CCA race in a few weeks.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:32 PM
Bull993tt
Rennlist Member

I got you Bryan. Well your Dad was driving the car well and laid down a few lap times in Stickley's arena of times. The car looked great too. To give you an idea, I ran a 1:18.1 last October after the track was paved at a NASA race. I couldn't get lower then a 1:20.8 with decent tires over the weekend. Now there was more traffic at Hyperfest then last year's NASA October race, but I found myself not being able to get into the throttle as soon coming out of some of the turns because of the bumbs pushing the car out.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:50 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by liteswap
Not GTS3 There were a few more Porsches in GTS3 that did not make it. Hopefully they can make VIR. Congrats on your GTS4 win!

Nice seeing you again Derek! We'll have to hangout more next time around. You coming to VIR? I have a garage rented, so swing by and say hi!

BTW, that black SU Porsche was nuts. I was fixated on it's flamethrower exhaust

My race recap and videos are in the following link. The flaming exhaust Porsche is in the Sat race video.

http://nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=22713

Race Results: http://mylaps.com/results/showevent.jsp?id=322543

-Eric Wong
-#199 IP/GTS3 M3
Eric, congrats on the wins. Sorry, the car is in repair mode after having to avoid a spinning car at the Glen.
Hope to make a race or two coming up. I think Tom finally has a his car coming together as he needs a couple of links, etc.
Old 06-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, I want to go to NASA Nationals too, but I am skeptical because I haven't driven Mid Ohio before, and just don't know if I can be competitive. "John H" the returning GTS4 National champ wants me to make the trip, but it is his back yard there you know. Streit is very fast too. I guess I will stew on it for a while on what to do.
Its true that Mid Ohio isn't the easiest track to learn. However, keep in mind that NASA Nationals is a 4 day event. With all of the practice sessions and the qualifying races you'll have plenty of time to get comfortable on the track before the big race on Sunday. If they do it like previous years there will also be an opportunity to run with the Mid Ohio school earlier in the week for additional track time.
Old 06-25-2008, 05:37 PM
magnetic1
Racer

Originally Posted by bobt993
Eric, congrats on the wins. Sorry, the car is in repair mode after having to avoid a spinning car at the Glen.
Hope to make a race or two coming up. I think Tom finally has a his car coming together as he needs a couple of links, etc.
Hey Bob, yea, Darren told me about your incident. I was psyched to race against you again too!

What about July VIR?
Old 06-25-2008, 08:49 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Wow, thats some great racing!

we cant get more than 1 car in the nasa GTS class in california. your race is more like our ITE in SCCA, but you dont have all the pesky miatas.

GTS4 is my class, i think. (10:1 weight/hp) was that BMW GTS4 also? you and him were having a good time from seeing the video. nice battles.
How about that yellow 911? same class?

mk

This is the sprint race from Hyperfest Saturday in GTS at Summit Point. I started 5th overall and 1st in GTS4 on poll. I finished 1st in class (eight cars in my class) and 4th overall in GTS. The cars that I am battling with in this video are all GTS5 cars in the video. There was lots of carnage in the race and it ended up being cut short while finishing under double yellow. You will see some Super Unlimited cars go flying by after a while consisting of a white nascar, an outrageous yellow camaro, Rick Deman and company with two white GT3RSR ALMS cars and his customer's black GT3 Cup chasis with a 750HP turbo motor in it. Porsches did well against the BMW's in GTS winning GTS 5, 4, and 2.

Part 1: www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHDGhb0g2IE

Part 2: www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B_iFlNDmdY
Old 06-25-2008, 11:37 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by mark kibort
was that BMW GTS4 also?
The BMW is a barely GTS5 car that finished the race on corded tires. I would expect him to be 2-3 seconds faster on newish tires based on past experience at that track.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:42 AM
Bull993tt
Rennlist Member

Jim, great advice regarding Nationals w/ regard to practice days and time.

Mark, all of the cars in front of me that I am duking it out with were higher classed GTS5 cars including the grey BMW and Paul Fusco's Yellow 911 w/ a 3.8. The rest of the GTS4 cars were behind me.

Quick Reply: NASA Hyperfest '08 Video Sat. Sprint Race GTS