Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shuffle stearing in racing and DE

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 12:59 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

The way I'd descibe that, it was "moving your hands" not shuffle steering which are two different things.

I basically never "move" my hands and insist it's not good way to steer but that to me is acceptable. "shuffle steering" (the way I understand it is to steer so that your hads are always close to 9-3 position regardless of where your steering wheel points to) on the other had is not.

Same thing with 9-3, for example Jean Alesi holds his hand in more like 10-2 position and he is great & fast driver.

Call me a liberal or friggin' nanny but I still think not shuffling is the way to teach someone who is learning.

I have no doubt there is someone really quick who holds the steering wheel with one hand on top of the steering wheel (like all Mustang drivers...) while other hand rests comfortably on top of the gear lever but that doesn't mean it's a good way of steering.

And I agree with the professor about the airbag thing, how the hell can that be a reason for insisting on shuffle?!
+1!!

I get real uncomfortable when in the car with a driver who shuffle steers a lot and i think that I can actually feel them beeing less smooth and have less good car placement than they would be without suffle steering.
My feeling is that shufflers are OK until the car starts to get out of hand, than they are at a big disadvantage getting the car out of a spin.

IMHO, I pretty much drive the car on the my limit and I have not spun yet....
But I will one day and that it is mostly luck and I drive off the track into the path of the least resistance once in a while....
Old 05-09-2008, 01:05 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by MTosi
exactley, hes not shuffling his hands. He knows how much correction he's going to need so he repositions his hands for that amount, and those spots almost become his new 10 and 2, until he's done with the corrections then he goes back his regular 10 and 2. He's not moving his hands when its un called for only when he needs to since he's using more than one turn of the wheel.
Ah, I guess by many of the definitions here I'm not actually shuffling since I never move my hands more then once and probably never more then about 60 degrees. I'll try to cut back but I don't think I will eliminate it entirely. As for teaching it, I'm not sure I would know how to even if I wanted to since where to re-grip is entirely unconscious.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I wonder what Senna would say?

Start watching at the :50 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8-zbfdPfRg

moving hands??? shuffle steering??
Old 05-09-2008, 01:45 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So let me get this straight:

Now there is a differentiation between "shuffle steering" and "moving your hands?" Sounds like a cop-out to me...

So then according to the aforementioned definition, I would be in the "moving your hands" camp. I completely agree with Joe P. in regards to it being a tool, just like heel-toeing or throttle-off oversteer. Assuming corners are not too tight, I keep my hands in the 9-and-3 position, but on tighter corners I'll "move my hands." Every truly good racing driver does it; dozens of examples have already been shown.

Don't write off moving your hands -- to me, it's akin to riding a motorcycle at the limit. You don't keep your body in one position, do you? No! You adjust riding position depending on the type of corner and the speed at which you're taking it. Same thing goes with driving a car, except here the most obvious difference is manifested in the driver's hands.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:46 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

7 time WDC at the 1:30 mark

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMHW_...eature=related
Old 05-09-2008, 01:50 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

He's just out for a Sunday drive now isn't he? If it weren't for the racing suit I'd think he was driving to church...
Old 05-09-2008, 01:51 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
I wonder what Senna would say?
I guess that he would say "it depends". In one tight corner, he grips the wheel at the 3 & 9 position. In another turn (around 1 minute) he definitely moves both hands. It is less of what you might call a shuffle and more of a grip the wheel with one hand where you will want it to be, and then reposition the other after you start turning the wheel.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Senna...hands everywhere - letting go of the wheel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izaWl...eature=related

Watch at the 2:00 mark...it gets crazy

This is an amazing video
Old 05-09-2008, 01:55 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
It is less of what you might call a shuffle and more of a grip the wheel with one hand where you will want it to be, and then reposition the other after you start turning the wheel.
That's what I call shuffle. Moving your hands, but not crossing them. The right way to do it is just as you describe.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:55 PM
ausgeflippt951
Rennlist Member

To me, it's plain and simple: the tighter the track (all the way down to autox), the more you "move your hands."

I don't need to move my hands when driving the formula car; it's less than a turn lock-to-lock.

You must be fluid, you must be smooth. And if not moving your hands gives you the most fluidity and continuity, don't move your hands. But, chances are (like in my case and many others') it won't.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:57 PM
MTosi
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Both video's are absolutley moving hands, you'll notice that they always return to 9 and 3. If anything those video's confirm keeping you hands in the same spot, particularly the one ith schumi, notice how his hands are always hooked on the spokes until he has to move them to correct for the slide

I don't get what people are inferring, that people who say you should keep your hands at ten and two and not shuffle will keep them there all the way into the wall when the car gets realy lose and not continue correcting? I thought it was glaringly obvious and inferred that once more than one lock is needed that you have to move your hands......the point is 95% of the time hands hooked on spokes is where they should be. Were are simply pointing out that people sit there and shuffle the wheel EVERY corner, are exhibting bad habits learned on the street.

and I laugh at people who say they "need to shuffle" on any road course. I auto-X alot and will almost NEVER shuffle my hands, If I can auto x and not need to shuffle there is no reason to shuffle on the track. (of course I have to move my hands on turn arounds or if I get realllly loose, but that might be one or two times during the course of a run with 30 corners.....)
Old 05-09-2008, 02:03 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Originally Posted by Seth Thomas
You have only driven the car once or twice during the last 3-4 years ;-)
Not far from the truth...
Old 05-09-2008, 02:17 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MTosi
I auto-X alot and will almost NEVER shuffle my hands, If I can auto x and not need to shuffle there is no reason to shuffle on the track. (of course I have to move my hands on turn arounds or if I get realllly loose, but that might be one or two times during the course of a run with 30 corners.....)

When I autocrossed my stock 83 944 with manual steering I had to some really odd things. One of them was to pull left had off the wheel for hard left corners and reach all the way to the right. Then yank the wheel left with all my strength. Certainly not ideal, but with low speeds and the weight of manual steering in autocross even with street tires and a stock suspension I could not turn the car fast enough any otherway. Now it was very rough and crude, but once I got the initial rotation I could more easily manage the steering inputs.

Now I would never teach that to anyone, but it worked quite well consider how quickly I could hustle this stock sprung, street tired car around an autocross course.

Point is absolutes are fine for novices as they need strong solid foundations, but when you work up to the advance level things get more fuzzy and absolutes don't apply as much. Strict Technique becomes less important that the outcome of the process and often times corners become unique such that what is abnomal other places is stardard in others.

So shuffle steer or not. In general no, but if you fine yourself crossed up and uncomfortable in certain corners by all means move the hands so that to can regain a comfortable and controllable hand position on the wheel.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:28 PM
MTosi
User

Originally Posted by M758
When I autocrossed my stock 83 944 with manual steering I had to some really odd things. One of them was to pull left had off the wheel for hard left corners and reach all the way to the right. Then yank the wheel left with all my strength. Certainly not ideal, but with low speeds and the weight of manual steering in autocross even with street tires and a stock suspension I could not turn the car fast enough any otherway. Now it was very rough and crude, but once I got the initial rotation I could more easily manage the steering inputs.

Now I would never teach that to anyone, but it worked quite well consider how quickly I could hustle this stock sprung, street tired car around an autocross course.

Point is absolutes are fine for novices as they need strong solid foundations, but when you work up to the advance level things get more fuzzy and absolutes don't apply as much. Strict Technique becomes less important that the outcome of the process and often times corners become unique such that what is abnomal other places is stardard in others.

So shuffle steer or not. In general no, but if you fine yourself crossed up and uncomfortable in certain corners by all means move the hands so that to can regain a comfortable and controllable hand position on the wheel.
I think the misconception the shufflers have is that when we say keep your hands at 10 and 2 is that we mean 100% of the time, thats just stupid obviously you have to move your hands for special cirumstances like you just described. I actually autox'd an 83 944 and had the same problem, but I just sort of muscled through it, but at the end of the day was pretty sore. Of course I autox'd an S2 one day on street tires and more than a few times and ran out of lock while correcting at about 70, and had to nail it down with throttle, but I wasn't shuffling my hands. Had I done that I would have spun, I was more one handing it as far as I could go on the first turn of the wheel, until I couldn't go any further than would reach over the top of the wheel with my other hand and do the same. You can see that technique in almost all of the video's that have been posted in this thread.
Old 05-09-2008, 02:36 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wind up shuffling my feet around the pits, but that's usually just at the end of the day.

Quick Reply: Shuffle stearing in racing and DE