NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

this has turned into a pretty funny thread
Old 05-09-2008, 03:05 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Precisely what is meant by 'shuffle steering' probably varies a lot in this discussion. The Walter Rohrl clip is a good illustration of what I would call shuffle steering. He locks and unlocks both right and left hands frequently, definitely not keeping them fixed at 9-and-3 or 10-and-2. In fact, he keeps the his left hand close to the 9 o'clock position relative to the car (absolute horizontal) rather than relative to the steering wheel. He also locks his thumbs inside the spokes, which some instructors would get apoplectic about.

Obviously, he's doing fine, both in terms of performance and safety. Equally obvious: just because he does it doesn't mean you must shuffle your hands and lock your thumbs in order to be a competent driver.

A 1971 911 with stickier or wider-than-stock tires requires a fair amount of steering effort, since there's no power assist and the car is probably set up with a lot of caster. My own car with 275mm R compounds in front requires a lot more steering effort than most of my students' cars.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:09 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 174 Posts

They tell me some woman have no choice but to shuffle steer due to, um,... anatomical reasons, but I've yet to see it first hand.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:42 PM
TwentySix
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My name is Beth and in some corners I shuffle steer... for anatomical reasons

Old 05-09-2008, 03:47 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 174 Posts

Where are you racing Beth?
Old 05-09-2008, 03:48 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TwentySix
My name is Beth and in some corners I shuffle steer... for anatomical reasons
Damn, I was going to ask for pictures for proper verification, until I saw that it was you.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:52 PM
MTosi
User

He also locks his thumbs inside the spokes, which some instructors would get apoplectic about.
What, which instuctors say not to do that !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!!??!?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!!
Old 05-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MTosi
Both video's are absolutley moving hands, you'll notice that they always return to 9 and 3. If anything those video's confirm keeping you hands in the same spot, particularly the one ith schumi, notice how his hands are always hooked on the spokes until he has to move them to correct for the slide

I don't get what people are inferring, that people who say you should keep your hands at ten and two and not shuffle will keep them there all the way into the wall when the car gets realy lose and not continue correcting? I thought it was glaringly obvious and inferred that once more than one lock is needed that you have to move your hands......the point is 95% of the time hands hooked on spokes is where they should be. Were are simply pointing out that people sit there and shuffle the wheel EVERY corner, are exhibting bad habits learned on the street.

and I laugh at people who say they "need to shuffle" on any road course. I auto-X alot and will almost NEVER shuffle my hands, If I can auto x and not need to shuffle there is no reason to shuffle on the track. (of course I have to move my hands on turn arounds or if I get realllly loose, but that might be one or two times during the course of a run with 30 corners.....)
+1!
Old 05-09-2008, 04:08 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
...He also locks his thumbs inside the spokes, which some instructors would get apoplectic about...
WTF?

This of course is not news but honestly, I'm some times amazed by some of the strange instructors around...
Old 05-09-2008, 04:15 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Shuffle steering is for sissies, everyone knows a real racer uses a suicide ****

I've occasionally do a sorta shuffle steer in teh formula car even though it has an open top wheel. I actually do it during a long turn like the carousel for two reasons. One it's easier on the arms, and two I have quicker reactions when my arms aren't as twisted up.

In the autocross world, anything and everything goes so bringing that into the discussion is sortof a moot point. I've driven courses where if you didn't shuffle steer you were going to drive off course it was so tight. Not just a little shuffle steer either. I've been to full steering lock in a number of cars while autocrossing at some of the smaller lots that exist. It wasn't super fun.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:16 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
WTF?

This of course is not news but honestly, I'm some times amazed by some of the strange instructors around...
Hey now, if you have your thumbs locked around the wheel, and you are not paying attention and hit the wall without seeing it coming, you may break your thumbs.

It's Friday.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

The only turn where I "shuffle steer" or "move my hands" is in the Keyhole at Mid Ohio... It seems stupid not to (I get really crossed). I tried for a while not to and then gave up... It's much better now...
Old 05-09-2008, 04:20 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Hey now, if you have your thumbs locked around the wheel, and you are not paying attention and hit the wall without seeing it coming, you may break your thumbs.

It's Friday.
So with that we have to stand on the brake all to time? I mean after all if you are not paying attention and hit the wall WOT (instead of standing on the brakes), you may break your neck.

Like I said Larry, there are plenty of weird instructing going on and I'm really friggin' glad it's Friday!
Old 05-09-2008, 04:26 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman

It's Friday.
I understand the humor in your comment, but when I raced SRF a LOT of experienced folks in that class advocated keeping your thumbs from wrapping around the wheel. It does not take that hard a hit with another car to spin the steering wheel and break a thumb. I think that has saved me a time or two. Since moving my thumb position I have also found that it helps keep a lighter grip on the steering wheel.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:33 PM
MTosi
User

I understand the humor in your comment, but when I raced SRF a LOT of experienced folks in that class advocated keeping your thumbs from wrapping around the wheel. It does not take that hard a hit with another car to spin the steering wheel and break a thumb. I think that has saved me a time or two. Since moving my thumb position I have also found that it helps keep a lighter grip on the steering wheel.
Do me a favor and watch any onboard of any self respecting professional driver, and I will GUARANTEE you that their thumbs will be hooked. I'm not even going post any video's since any video of a professional racer will have their thumbs hooked, I'll take the word and skills of prof. racers any day. It may keep you from breaking your thumbs???? but if your thumbs are hooked theres probably a far better chance you won't hit the wall......

okay fine I cave....here's a video, we need to tell this guy to shuffle his hands and not hook his thumbs on the wheel, doubt he knows what he's doing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJDkZ...eature=related

Quick Reply: Shuffle stearing in racing and DE