Sponsored by:

RA-1's faster than R888's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 11:56 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for the information. I'll leave my suspension alone.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:53 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

they shave them for 3/32" tread depth.

mk

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I wonder how much they are shaving them?
Old 04-21-2008, 03:56 AM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

even more proof. Speed GT ran the entire race, with the first place competitor, breaking the last year lap record. so, if that doesnt answer the question, nothing does. All the top 5 cars were near as fast as last season.
Since ive raced on ONLY used SpeedGT toyo RA1s for over 6 years now, and know many of the cars and drivers, i would say that it is a safe bet that the new R888 is near the same tire, with some subtle differences.
mk
Old 04-21-2008, 10:46 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

944 spec experinece shows the R888 is a better tires full tread than the RA-1.

The 8/32 RA-1's NEEDED to be shaved for speed since otherwise the unsupported tread blocks would squirm alot. Shaving to 4/32 limited tread squirm, but 944 spec use they still needed 5-6 heat cycles to wear in. The R888 has 6/32 tread depth and massive tread block that resist squirm. So far the comparin full tread to full tread the R888 is superior. Comparing worn RA-1 vs R888 has not occured since we have not worn the R888's down enough. This is feedback from other 944 spec drivers since I have not yet turned a wheel on my full tread R888's. I am still burning through 2 sets of RA-1's. Optimum tire pressures seem to be 2 psi higher on the R888. Interstingly some of our fastest guys ran 36 psi hot in RA-1 and now 38 in the R888. I always ran 38 in the RA-1 so I will probably shoot for 38 in R888 as well. 36 in the R888 seems to be too low.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:14 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So I'm gonna assume a shaved 4/32" ra-1 is about the same as a full tread r888 with a couple cycles on it. Bah, close enough..
Old 04-21-2008, 04:55 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

this is interesting as well, as its pretty tough to pick out 2psi of difference of tire performance, yet, the tire was constructed with a stiffer sidewall so it would seem to me that slightly less pressure would be required for equal performance

either way, It sure looks like they are the same tire based on what SpeedGT has been seeing

mk

Originally Posted by M758
944 spec experinece shows the R888 is a better tires full tread than the RA-1.

The 8/32 RA-1's NEEDED to be shaved for speed since otherwise the unsupported tread blocks would squirm alot. Shaving to 4/32 limited tread squirm, but 944 spec use they still needed 5-6 heat cycles to wear in. The R888 has 6/32 tread depth and massive tread block that resist squirm. So far the comparin full tread to full tread the R888 is superior. Comparing worn RA-1 vs R888 has not occured since we have not worn the R888's down enough. This is feedback from other 944 spec drivers since I have not yet turned a wheel on my full tread R888's. I am still burning through 2 sets of RA-1's. Optimum tire pressures seem to be 2 psi higher on the R888. Interstingly some of our fastest guys ran 36 psi hot in RA-1 and now 38 in the R888. I always ran 38 in the RA-1 so I will probably shoot for 38 in R888 as well. 36 in the R888 seems to be too low.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:05 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by mark kibort
this is interesting as well, as its pretty tough to pick out 2psi of difference of tire performance, yet, the tire was constructed with a stiffer sidewall so it would seem to me that slightly less pressure would be required for equal performance

mk

Yeah,
Seems strange as I would figure lower pressures too. However one of our fastest 944 spec guys in back to back testing learned the R888 need a slightly higher pressure. Otherwise they would go off during a session. This is with zero changes to the car as compared to running RA-1's.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:30 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Could also be driving style. I would be leary of your "fastest" guy's opinion, unless it was backed up with tire temps as well as pressures with the back to back runs. Ill see what the WC guys were running this weekend. It just doesnt seem right that more pressure would work better on a tire with a stiffer sidewall. when i use the shorter sidewall RA1s, i would use about 1-2psi less pressure. they seemed to be less "skatey" that way, but i certainly couldnt back it up with any measureable proof.

mk

Yeah,
Seems strange as I would figure lower pressures too. However one of our fastest 944 spec guys in back to back testing learned the R888 need a slightly higher pressure. Otherwise they would go off during a session. This is with zero changes to the car as compared to running RA-1's.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:43 PM
M758
Race Director

My fast guy is NOT giving me a load of BS. That much I know and it was backed up by back to back runs. He tired low psi, but the tires did not respond as well.

Even so what works for him may not work for me. My plan with R888 was to try them at 38 like I do for the RA-1 and see how they work out. I finally have a tire temp gauge so I can start out by getting RA-1 temps as baseline then move to the R888 and see what they need. In the mean time I will listen to all the info that I get and try to let the other make the big mistakes.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:21 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Im not trying to insult him, but it just sounds a bit odd. however, you will see soon enough. do you and the fast guy start at about 30-32 cold?

let us know how it goes. Im sure ill be on them eventually

mk

My fast guy is NOT giving me a load of BS. That much I know and it was backed up by back to back runs. He tired low psi, but the tires did not respond as well.

Even so what works for him may not work for me. My plan with R888 was to try them at 38 like I do for the RA-1 and see how they work out. I finally have a tire temp gauge so I can start out by getting RA-1 temps as baseline then move to the R888 and see what they need. In the mean time I will listen to all the info that I get and try to let the other make the big mistakes.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:29 PM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Antonio
I couldn't resist the low price of the NT01's and I bought a set. After next weekend I'll be able to report on how the stack up against the Hoosiers at Summit Point.

Nitto is putting up some good prize money programs this year for us amateur and club tour guys. They sponsored USTCC also, something like 1 free set per season, then 50% off for all podium finishers? Something like that.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:36 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin
Nitto is putting up some good prize money programs this year for us amateur and club tour guys. They sponsored USTCC also, something like 1 free set per season, then 50% off for all podium finishers? Something like that.
I am just a DE guy witha stock 997S but the Nitto NT01 is on my list to get. It seems to be between the R888 and NT01 as there is nothing else out there in a tire I can drive to and from the track on and still get awesome performance at the track.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-21-2008, 09:49 PM
Austin
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I am just a DE guy witha stock 997S but the Nitto NT01 is on my list to get. It seems to be between the R888 and NT01 as there is nothing else out there in a tire I can drive to and from the track on and still get awesome performance at the track.

Any thoughts?
I haven't had any experience on the Nitto tires, so I'd have to go off referals. Sounds like a pretty good plan though.

I can say that the Michelin Pilot Sport 2's are a great all around tire, with long wear life, and good on the track also. Michelin PS2's aren't a super sticky tire, but with the stock C2S rubber bushings you won't be able to maximize the useful grip from a tire like a Hoosier or RA1 anyway.

I'd recommend changing out your rear toe arms to a turnbuckle / heim style. If it starts to become a slippery slope, consider a 996 GT3 with good track equipment on it already.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:21 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Austin
I haven't had any experience on the Nitto tires, so I'd have to go off referals. Sounds like a pretty good plan though.

I can say that the Michelin Pilot Sport 2's are a great all around tire, with long wear life, and good on the track also. Michelin PS2's aren't a super sticky tire, but with the stock C2S rubber bushings you won't be able to maximize the useful grip from a tire like a Hoosier or RA1 anyway.

I'd recommend changing out your rear toe arms to a turnbuckle / heim style. If it starts to become a slippery slope, consider a 996 GT3 with good track equipment on it already.
Thanks Austin...a little about me...I do not have a left leg so a GT3 or any other manual is out of the question for me. I drive a Tip for now. I am currently on RA1's and had PS2's before that. I use the RA1's and am looking at the Nitto's mostly due to cost and they do offer a little more grip. I think the Nitto's will be less than the R888's so I will go with those maybe.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:42 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I think it stupid about World Challenge is that they allow these new trick trannies with the dog ring gears and such but make the cars run on tires that are obviously below the range of the cars and still trying to consider the series not based on money. It's retarded.

They should allow R6 at the very least, maybe an entry level full non-dot slick and an R888 as a rain tire, not as the primary.

Quick Reply: RA-1's faster than R888's?