Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RA-1's faster than R888's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 09:59 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I am on RA1's now in a stock 2007 Carrera S. I have 5 track days on them and did not get them shaved. They were scarey up until the last 2 track days.

I was thinking of getting the R888 next or maybe the Nitto NT01. What other tire would be good for me. I am not racing, just doing DE's and driving from Tampa to Sebring or Daytona for these DE's. So I need a streetable tire and one that wear a long time.
Old 04-18-2008, 10:01 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
World Challenge has only been running RA1's since the 2003 season, but the point still remains that there is likely still some speed to be gotten from adjusting to the new tires.
Ah, you're right. I forgot the previous Toyos they used were the T1's.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:30 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Ah, you're right. I forgot the previous Toyos they used were the T1's.
Yeah, I think the Toyo street tires came in 2001. If you're going back 10 years, you can throw BFG's into the mix as well.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:48 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

yep, BFGs 99 and 00 (and before). then 01 and 02 with the 280 treadwear T1S, and then back to a DOT slick with the RA1 in 03 until now.

Mk

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
Yeah, I think the Toyo street tires came in 2001. If you're going back 10 years, you can throw BFG's into the mix as well.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:52 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

What does Blake know about used tires anyway

It is very interesting that you had such problems. I doubt it could be how it was shaved, and certainly there is no heat associated with that process.

I thought that willow was even tougher on the passenger side inside edge (grinding bumpsteer issues around turn 9 )

Anyway, lets see if we see any difference tomorrow with the WC cars at Long Beach.

maybe you are just driving the wheels off that boxter!

mk

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
Mark nobody was more shocked than me. I had gone into that weeked expecting a huge advantage being the only Boxster with shaved R888's. I wish I could show you the pics of those tires but I threw them away. Several of us made a thorough examination of them including Mike Essa and Blake Rosser and we were all shocked how worn out they were after 5 HC's. It wasn't just the outside edge, it was the complete tire though WS will wear the driver's side tires more. I have 16 cycles on a full depth set and the outside tires look so much better than the shaved set. We took temp reading across those tires in Friday's practice and got acceptable readings on all 4 tires. Spreads of no more than 30 degrees inside to out. There was a veteran 944 spec driver also using shaved R888's for the first time and he suffered the same type of results.

Two things cross my mind. One is perhaps the company that shaved them overheated them or damaged them in some way. Second perhaps it's something to do with the Boxster's weight balance though that seems like a stretch. I look foward to talking to a few of the World Challenge racers after Long Beach....
Old 04-18-2008, 12:59 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I ran shaved r888's for my first race at TH. www.aimtire.com recommended that I run them shaved. I found no real problems, but I must admit at about 37 degrees hot I would start to get squirrly at 40 they were casters, so I tried to target 35/36 hot and they felt awesome. I normally run RA-1's on my 964 so I am familiar with the tires, and they felt very close in performance to me. In terms of longevity, it's hard to compare because I am running so much harder in the spec boxster. I normally ran the RA-1's at about 36 hot too, so it seems to make sense.

4/5 seconds between shaved/unshaved seems crazy to me, but I am no expert. What pressures where you targeting? Sounds like they might have been overheating like I described above.

Originally Posted by jrgordonsenior
I bought a set of shaved R888's as the test dummy for our Spec Boxster class. They were remarkably slower then the unshaved R888's and dangerous.

I had been consistantly turning low 1:35's on a used set of unshaved Toyos starting out the day with 11 HC's. On a set of brand new shaved R888's, I couldn't get below 1:38. They became so slippery in their first race (2nd. HC) that I retired halfway through out of safety concerns. I then put on a brand new set of unshaved R888's and promptly turned a 1:34:2 effectively trimming 5 seconds off the shaved tires best lap. I ran the shaved set twice more under different bar setups trying to get them to grip to no avail. After 6 HC's the tires were basically worn out, almost corded on the outside edges of the outside tires.....
Old 04-18-2008, 02:12 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting discussion. I expect to have my current set of RA1s worn out by this fall and have been wondering if I should go ahead and buy another set of RA1's now while they are still available and hold on to them or just wait and buy the R888's later this year. RA1s seem a little cheaper than R888's so its tempting to get one more set. But I worry a little bit about the shelf life of the rubber compound if I buy RA1's that have been sitting around.
Old 04-18-2008, 02:21 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Dont worry, ive run my speedgt garbage can tires as old as '03 and not been far off my best times. in fact, in recent race weekends, my newer '07s have run slower than my hodge podge '04 -'05 mix of drive to the track sets. (i drive to the track on a crummy set, and then race on the '07s.) so far, my crummy old sets have run with in .3 seconds of the newer sets. I do put plastic wrap on them in storage too, and dont know if that makes a difference. (you know the ozone myth)

anyway, im wondering about the shaved vs not shaved possiblity that would certainly make for some longer lasting tires if they had so much more meat on them to start.

good point about the temps. even though the boxster was 30degrees across the tire, i wonder what the tire temps were, and what the pressures were.

i usually start at near 28-30psi cold for rear and front tire pressures with excellent luck.

mk

Originally Posted by TR6
Interesting discussion. I expect to have my current set of RA1s worn out by this fall and have been wondering if I should go ahead and buy another set of RA1's now while they are still available and hold on to them or just wait and buy the R888's later this year. RA1s seem a little cheaper than R888's so its tempting to get one more set. But I worry a little bit about the shelf life of the rubber compound if I buy RA1's that have been sitting around.
Old 04-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

Greg, IMO, buy the extra RA1's.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:05 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1. Buy the known quantity.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:20 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kgorman
I ran shaved r888's for my first race at TH. www.aimtire.com recommended that I run them shaved. I found no real problems, but I must admit at about 37 degrees hot I would start to get squirrly at 40 they were casters, so I tried to target 35/36 hot and they felt awesome. I normally run RA-1's on my 964 so I am familiar with the tires, and they felt very close in performance to me. In terms of longevity, it's hard to compare because I am running so much harder in the spec boxster. I normally ran the RA-1's at about 36 hot too, so it seems to make sense.

4/5 seconds between shaved/unshaved seems crazy to me, but I am no expert. What pressures where you targeting? Sounds like they might have been overheating like I described above.
Kenny I started them at 28r/29f cold with a target of 38 hot all around. They are bled and filled with Nitrogen, and bled down to 38 in the pits after each session if necessary. I don't remember them ever getting hot during their short life span. I saved the 2 inside shaved tires and will have them on in the morning on the left side. Take a look at them with 5 cycles....
Old 04-18-2008, 07:38 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

I ran many sets of 888 & ra1 on several cars front 2000 on lotus to 3200 gt3 (Inc cay s)
I dont shave them. They squirm a bit but after two sessions they are fine.

38f/38r hot on 888
40 all around on ra1

I like 888 more. Grippier.
Doesnt last as long as ra1
Old 04-18-2008, 09:39 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

I am considering the RA1 vs Kumho Ecsta V700 for a sunny day street/occasional autox/drag tire. I like the RA1 but the V700 sizing is better for the front of my street car. Has anyone run the V700 on the street? The R888 does not seem to be a good choice (noisy and stiff).
Old 04-18-2008, 11:05 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

The V700 is a pretty soft tire for street use. I'd go with the RA1 for dual purpose tire.
Old 04-19-2008, 12:06 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

How do the Pirelli Corsa R fit into all thes tires for DE's. There were some 997 GT3's and a C4S running them this last weekend. They seemed to work out nicely.

Quick Reply: RA-1's faster than R888's?