Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 08:13 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
There is a concentrated effort to keep his father out of the pits due to a lot of negative comments about it last year ...
I thought his father was his manager, so he should be allowed in the garage?
Old 03-17-2008, 10:22 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MTosi
in the best car a rookie has ever had
I remember one Jaques Villeneuve who was handed a pretty good chassis. Then chased the money and sucked for the remainder of his career. LH isn't the first rookie to get handed a good car.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:57 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when was that? I've never seen any driver push harder with a crappy car, the only time I've ever seen uninspired driving is when he is stuck behind a car with the aero push .
Lets try for example when he couldnt pass the same person you aspire to degrade so at Malaysia. Going by the standards you hold Lewis to he should have been able to pass him given the fact that his car was not MUCH worse if at all. If it was Lewis you'd be bashing him for not winning the race.

Or how about when he ran into the rail at monaco?

And how about this year when he spun out trying to make up positions in Australia?

The first point is mainly what I'm trying to get at, but you can't compare the beginning of his career to the greats, they all had to prove themselves in slower cars for at least a season

So a good driver gets into the best or second best racecar his rookie year (with a team that revolves around him), wins 4 races from pole that year then manages to blow a SEVENTEEN point lead over kimi with TWO races left, does that make him the best rookie ever, not in my opinion I think those last two races proved what he was at the time a rookie and certainly not the greatest. I will wait to pass judgment this season until a few races in.
He stayed out on track too long trying to cement the race, it was a ROOKIE mistake, but he sure looked a lot less like a Rookie than Massa, Alonso and Raikonnen for the better part of the season. And while driving against two world champions who were both in fast cars.

His start to his career is one of the best if not the best, you are going in on a solo effort trying to prove otherwise.

I guess he should leave McClaren and go to Torro Rosso, or maybe he should just drive a GP2 car and that would make you happy. But I bet you'd find something wrong with that too.
Old 03-18-2008, 08:57 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Lets try for example when he couldnt pass the same person you aspire to degrade so at Malaysia. Going by the standards you hold Lewis to he should have been able to pass him given the fact that his car was not MUCH worse if at all. If it was Lewis you'd be bashing him for not winning the race.

And how about this year when he spun out trying to make up positions in Australia?

He stayed out on track too long trying to cement the race, it was a ROOKIE mistake, but he sure looked a lot less like a Rookie than Massa, Alonso and Raikonnen for the better part of the season. And while driving against two world champions who were both in fast cars.

His start to his career is one of the best if not the best, you are going in on a solo effort trying to prove otherwise.

I guess he should leave McClaren and go to Torro Rosso, or maybe he should just drive a GP2 car and that would make you happy. But I bet you'd find something wrong with that too.
You left out that Lewis is also very generous , why he felt so bad for kimi, he threw away a championship , TWICE!
Old 03-18-2008, 09:24 PM
MTosi
User

that would be his ONLY major mistake last year
Lets try for example when he couldnt pass the same person you aspire to degrade so at Malaysia
and to respond I quote myself:
the only time I've ever seen uninspired driving is when he is stuck behind a car with the aero push
That would be because in the stupid modern era of F1 the car behind loses a large percentage of front grip due to the turbulence off the front of the car, so to conserve the car and tires alot of drivers will not press the issue and wait until the pit stop. Could you enlighten me on kimis other uninspiring driving? Seems to me if lewis doesn't start from pole he doesn't drive very inspired seems to just cruise around in that place, lets think how many wins hes had from anything but pole, oh wait ZERO. Lets think kimi at Suzuka LAST to FIRST, lets think kimi at Fuji to bring up an example starts LAST (fia and ferrari's fault for the tires situation) and gets up to third in a torrential downpour, I could go on for a while, but I think saying kimis driving is unispired is a losing argument.

but he sure looked a lot less like a Rookie than Massa, Alonso and Raikonnen for the better part of the season
uhhhhhhh the difference between wdc and non wdc drivers is they win when it counts, plus you could enlighten me to how they all looked like rookies? Seems to me alonso and raik were in new cars with new tires, lewis came up through gp2 with bridgestones and the proceeded to have thousands of miles of simulator driving and actual testing (I can guarentee you more than any rookie ever) not to mention him writing off a brand new mclaren chassis while doing so.

[His start to his career is one of the best if not the best, you are going in on a solo effort trying to prove otherwise.
again I just don't feel he is as good as all of the hype that I've had to listen to by the british media, and all of the commentators. I feel that there are quite a few drivers put in his situation from age 12 on would be as good if not better than lewis hamiton is now. Every time I hear his name mentioned along with one of the greats it makes me sick, do I think hes a good driver yes, an all time great in his second season I think not, nor do I think he is a gift from god to the racing community as martin brundell and others think. I also find him to be a bit hollow in terms of substance he seems more like a talking head for mclaren after 10 years of training and lacks any real personality.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:11 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,605 Likes on 834 Posts

Wow, this is quite the thread.

Yeah, Hamilton sure suck, doesn't he?
Old 03-21-2008, 01:41 AM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hate to dig this thread up again, but this video is really interesting to watch, especially in the current context.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDgpS4kx88s

Sorry, can't get embed code to work.
Old 03-21-2008, 01:47 AM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by R4][N_M4l{3R
Hate to dig this thread up again, but this video is really interesting to watch, especially in the current context.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDgpS4kx88s

Sorry, can't get embed code to work.
Seems like a nice kid there, who would have thought he would turn into the snide punk that he is now.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:02 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Gotta say, I found myself rooting for Hamilton (even though I knew he won)! Quite amazing since on Sunday I will be hoping for him to make a mistake that takes him out of the points and evens things a bit for Kimi. I agree, he seemed to be a nice kid. Maybe he will return to nice guy form as he matures. Maybe....

And true to form, there was his dad, getting airtime. I can do without that!
Old 04-08-2008, 02:43 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,370 Likes on 1,996 Posts

After yet another 2 mistakes in one race - off the line and in the race in his attempt to breed with Alonso, I have to say I'm less than impressed with Hamilton. I would characterize him as overrated, especially given what level of car he has been given.

We've all been waiting to see what he would do from the mid field and what we've seen hasn't been good. He's a front runner and less than capable when there is pressure. Personally he would not be in my top 3 drivers of the 22 on the grid.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:30 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Well ,we will see if kimi can beat the overrated driver or will Hamilton have to give it to him again ...
Old 04-08-2008, 11:49 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I have to say that he does seem to make a ton of mistakes lately. He sure started with his pants afire but since he threw away the WDC last year and now after a promising start, seems to be throwing away this season as well. I don't think Kimi is worried at all since I'm sure he (Kimi) knows that in a straight fight, he will win. He just needs his car to hold together. Hamilton and Alonso are more alike than most would like to admit. They both let outside events get into their heads. Kimi on the other hand, doesn't seem to give a ****. He always seems to have his eye on the prize and stays focused. Just watch the post race interview, Kimi didn't even care that he didn't win. Only that he was now closed to winning WDC than before the race. I'm sure Hamilton now has Kovalainin in his head since Heiki has beaten him twice in a row now. Can anyone say Deja Vu? (I know my spelling sucks!)
Old 04-08-2008, 12:40 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This is exactly what I have been saying from the beginning, Hamilton is a front runner and not impressive at all when he actually has to race through traffic. Even the Speed commentators had very little say about him all race. I like to compare it to Schumacher's last race in Brazil 2006 when he came from dead last to finish 4th, that was a real driver.

I can't believe that Mclaren are claiming that Hamilton's front wing actually failed seconds before he hit Alonso, they will say anything to cover up his mistakes.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:42 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

That's funny about KImi , before getting this WDC , his dispostion was of not being serious , not technical etc,,, now the same attitude is cool , Kimi, is good , cool , LOL.....

Yes the team appears to be covering up Hammy's mistakes , very similar to what Ferrari used to do for schumacher , he has this team wrapped around him in the same tradition, now he needs to deliver .....
Old 04-08-2008, 01:08 PM
MTosi
User

I love the way hamilton can do nothing wrong in the eyes of the british media, first it was alonso's fault, now its because the wing failed? When it comes down to it he drove over the back of alonso and that is in his hands, even if his wing did fail its most likely because of contact on his part. I still can't get over the way he made no evasive action, its like he was asleep or adjusting something on the wheel and on top of all that he alone blew the start.

Quick Reply: Lewis Hamilton Rant