Sponsored by:

Lewis Hamilton Rant

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 02:57 PM
MTosi
User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to motorsports.
hahahahaha yes I know, story of my life...............I don't know why god couldn't have blessed me with a natural talent in something like baseball.........
Old 03-17-2008, 03:00 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MTosi
The problem I see with the karting, is the kid with the most talent but not even close to the amount of money will get beat by the kid with talent (not as much) but twice the amount of money. To relate that back to hamilton, its hard to judge his talent because he has always had the best prepared kart/car or the best car or kart. There are alot of kids who if you put in his shoes, could have 10 wins and a WDC under their belt by this point, he in my opinion has a solid amount of talent (obv) but when I watch him drive, I see cultivated and learned car control, as opposed to when I watch kimi and his car control just reeks of raw natrual talent, not car control developed over years of mclaren coaching and seat time.

Lewis received Mclaren support after having quite A BIT OF SUCCESS on his own, i first saw him driving karts in 98 and was astonished at what this kid was doing ..you could tell he was of special
talent ....

a synopsis http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Hamilton
Old 03-17-2008, 03:02 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by mad
Some of you are taking the OP's post to an extreme. I don't think anyone here is questioning whether LH deserves his ride at McLaren. And I think we can all agree that he's certainly got the talent to be at the front. What I can't stand is the constant sack riding by Varsha, Hobbs, Matchett and most especially Windsor. They are the ones constantly comparing LH to Schumi, Senna etc. They really need to tone it down a bit.

Nico's career in F1 has been far more impressive in my eyes. Granted, yes, he did receive the same level of support before F1, but he has consistently put the Williams, a car with nearly zero development last year relative to the big boys, in the top six. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that I believe Mclaren passed over Nico for fear of LH having to compete for#1 on the team. We all know that's not going to happen with Kov.
I agree, but you have to look at the 4 commentators you mentioned, 75% are British, so of course they are going to pull for LH, we just have to accept it as there is no other television feed than SPEED into our homes.

Nico is very impressive. Put that guy in a Ferrari or McLaren and watch him go. More impressive yet is S. Vettel. That kid is a superstar in the making. I'd try to ****** him up ASAP, but I believe BMW holds his rights.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:20 PM
MTosi
User

Lewis received Mclaren support after having quite A BIT OF SUCCESS on his own, i first saw him driving karts in 98 and was astonished at what this kid was doing ..you could tell he was of special
talent ....
I'm not denying he has lots of talent or is a good driver, you'd just be an ignorant moron if you deny that. But thats not what I'm getting at, I just don't think he is THAT good, what impresses me about drivers is when they can make a slow car fast, when they can come from last and win, when they manhandle a poor handling car, when they show true maturity, when they are precise and don't bounce off the walls at monaco, when recover from adverse circumstances, Lewis Hamilton has yet to check off any of those categories in my book, he has yet to win from anywhere but pole, he has yet to have won in anything but the best car, he most certainly didn't look very mature when it counted last year, what brings a driver to the next level and puts them in the category of legends is what they can do on their worst days, not what they do on their best days and as far as I can tell lewis hamilton has never had to deal with anything but the best of days and the best of cars......
Old 03-17-2008, 03:33 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

LH still has that exuberance of youth , i would be more concerned about him turning into a prat than his driving right about now
Old 03-17-2008, 03:41 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lothar
I fail to understand why there are so many Hamilton bashers on this forum. Last season proved that, while he is young and made mistakes, he has talent. A "Hamilton Rant" can no more make Hamilton a second rate hack, than an Alonso Rant can make Fernando a mature, well adjusted race driver.

I agree, he's done nothing but produce since he's been driving. How many races did someone make up many positions to win last year? That's why much of the season was boring, no one able to make up positions.

In fact his driving in the last GP of the year was probably the most exciting and inspiring we saw al year. He showed the true heart of a champion while not giving up. Not only that he showed the most ***** while passing all year.

I have the sneaky suspision that if he were a fair haired finn or German he wouldnt have so many bashers. He certainly doesnt deserve the hate he gets from the bench racers around here.

Some of you people are just trying to find any reason you can not to like him. Give it up already.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:45 PM
MTosi
User

In fact his driving in the last GP of the year was probably the most exciting and inspiring we saw al year. He showed the true heart of a champion while not giving up. Not only that he showed the most ***** while passing all year.
I'd say he showed the driving of true rookie with not enough experience, or maturity at brazil and china
Old 03-17-2008, 03:53 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Is it me, or does Nico look like someone else we know..

(sorry, I thought to break-up the LH discussion)
Attached Images   

Last edited by chris walrod; 03-17-2008 at 11:54 PM.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:01 PM
wanna911
Race Car

I'm not denying he has lots of talent or is a good driver, you'd just be an ignorant moron if you deny that. But thats not what I'm getting at, I just don't think he is THAT good, what impresses me about drivers is when they can make a slow car fast, when they can come from last and win, when they manhandle a poor handling car, when they show true maturity, when they are precise and don't bounce off the walls at monaco, when recover from adverse circumstances, Lewis Hamilton has yet to check off any of those categories in my book, he has yet to win from anywhere but pole, he has yet to have won in anything but the best car, he most certainly didn't look very mature when it counted last year, what brings a driver to the next level and puts them in the category of legends is what they can do on their worst days, not what they do on their best days and as far as I can tell lewis hamilton has never had to deal with anything but the best of days and the best of cars......

The guy has had ONE season +1 race. The best one (statistically) EVER for a rookie. Yet you judge him as if he's been racing for 10 years.

So what if a guy that has won at every other level enters the game in a good car, that makes it his fault?

You talk about him bouncing off the walls at monaco and the end of season debacles, what about the old guys who showed far worse during the season. Kimi's completely uninspired driving, or Alonso spinning several times at the same spot (cant remember where) and getting passed by a MUCH lesser car.

And these are seasoned veterans with World Championships under their belts. Fact of the matter is that no one is perfect, and yes Lewis isnt ready to be mentioned in the name of greats other than in relation to how they started (as opposed to overal careers), but still trying to make him sound like a average driver or even close is a lost cause.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:09 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

I'd say he showed the driving of true rookie with not enough experience, or maturity at brazil and china
I would much rather be a fast inexperenced driver than an equaly fast experenced driver. All LH has to do is learn the F1 ropes by increasing time on track to be overall better than the other drivers while the experenced drivers would need to increase their talent.

LH is a talented very fast young F1 driver that is bringing home wins. Who would not be cocky about that? He is wining F1 races and not just an odd fluke win now and then. Why question human nature? They spoon fed him racing for a reason. He is good. Do any of the detractors think they could do as well in F1 if they had what he did? Look at all the slipping, sliding and wheels off messups in the first non TC race by the experenced drivers.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:22 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I don't think anyone here is denying that Hamilton is good, maybe great. It's just that at least for me, the Speed commentators seem to go on and on about how this guy is the next best thing in F1. Give it a rest. At least they didn't show Hamilton's dad once (or mention him). I'm very grateful for that!

This is going to be a great season. I love all the sliding!
Old 03-17-2008, 04:23 PM
MTosi
User

The best one (statistically) EVER for a rookie
in the best car a rookie has ever had
Kimi's completely uninspired driving
when was that? I've never seen any driver push harder with a crappy car, the only time I've ever seen uninspired driving is when he is stuck behind a car with the aero push
and yes Lewis isnt ready to be mentioned in the name of greats other than in relation to how they started (as opposed to overal careers
The first point is mainly what I'm trying to get at, but you can't compare the beginning of his career to the greats, they all had to prove themselves in slower cars for at least a season

So a good driver gets into the best or second best racecar his rookie year (with a team that revolves around him), wins 4 races from pole that year then manages to blow a SEVENTEEN point lead over kimi with TWO races left, does that make him the best rookie ever, not in my opinion I think those last two races proved what he was at the time a rookie and certainly not the greatest. I will wait to pass judgment this season until a few races in.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
...Kimi's completely uninspired driving...
...when was that? I've never seen any driver push harder with a crappy car, the only time I've ever seen uninspired driving is when he is stuck behind a car with the aero push...
+1

WTF are you watching when you say Kimi's drive is uninspiring?
Old 03-17-2008, 05:14 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mitch236
I don't think anyone here is denying that Hamilton is good, maybe great. It's just that at least for me, the Speed commentators seem to go on and on about how this guy is the next best thing in F1. Give it a rest. At least they didn't show Hamilton's dad once (or mention him). I'm very grateful for that!

This is going to be a great season. I love all the sliding!
There is a concentrated effort to keep his father out of the pits due to a lot of negative comments about it last year ...

in the best car a rookie has ever had
when was that? I've never seen any driver push harder with a crappy car, the only time I've ever seen uninspired driving is when he is stuck behind a car with the aero push
The first point is mainly what I'm trying to get at, but you can't compare the beginning of his career to the greats, they all had to prove themselves in slower cars for at least a season

So a good driver gets into the best or second best racecar his rookie year (with a team that revolves around him), wins 4 races from pole that year then manages to blow a SEVENTEEN point lead over kimi with TWO races left, does that make him the best rookie ever, not in my opinion I think those last two races proved what he was at the time a rookie and certainly not the greatest. I will wait to pass judgment this season until a few races in.

There is some truth in what you say here .......... Impressive gains and losses
Old 03-17-2008, 06:57 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,267 Likes on 1,928 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Probably not the example you wanted to put forth in front of everyone. That race made him look far below average.

Quick Reply: Lewis Hamilton Rant