Sponsored by:

Bristol, Nascar, NRA, and missing teeth

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 08:12 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Bristol, Nascar, NRA, and missing teeth

Is it just me not getting why Speed and Nascar are making a big thing out of Bristol and wondering why it is stealing precious air time from ALMS and F1...

Frankly, I just don't get it. Stock toyota prius cars would go around that track faster, what is the big deal about it? I guess people who care so much about that race are the same as those who like tractor and lawnmower racing. Wrong cars for the wrong track.

Help me understand please. please. I am not trying to trash Nascar as I started to be interested in it this year... but Bristol?
Old 03-14-2008, 08:18 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Simple. Look at it this way....if you owned the Speed Channel stock 100%, and were told that ALMS and F1 would bring you 1X revenue, but carrying NASCAR/Bristol would bring you 5-10X (or more?) revenue, and would do so over three times as often each year, which would you broadcast?

I would carry All NASCAR, All the time.....then put a racing team together and run ALMS!
Old 03-14-2008, 08:21 PM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bull
Simple. Look at it this way....if you owned the Speed Channel stock 100%, and were told that ALMS and F1 would bring you 1X revenue, but carrying NASCAR/Bristol would bring you 5-10X (or more?) revenue, and would do so over three times as often each year, which would you broadcast?

I would carry All NASCAR, All the time.....then put a racing team together and run ALMS!
Someone needs to nationalize Speed TV so that consumers' interests are put forth!

Let me ask differently, why do people like watching COTs or Gen 5 cars snail mailing around Bristol?
Old 03-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by constaf
Someone needs to nationalize Speed TV so that consumers' interests are put forth!

Let me ask differently, why do people like watching COTs or Gen 5 cars snail mailing around Bristol?
See, that is the point...."consumers' interests" are being put forth!

As for your differently asked question...don't get me started on my take on the average human being.......
Old 03-14-2008, 08:47 PM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bull
See, that is the point...."consumers' interests" are being put forth!

As for your differently asked question...don't get me started on my take on the average human being.......

Let me try this then. Doesn't the public deserve better information and content. This is a case where the state should intervene to prevent a dumbing down of the population.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:56 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Let me try this then. Doesn't the public deserve better information and content. This is a case where the state should intervene to prevent a dumbing down of the population.
OK, then let me try this......I believe that by showing NASCAR and the related content, they are making sure the State is happy because they are ELEVATING the intellect of the average population...............
Old 03-14-2008, 08:58 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The population votes for the type of state that governs them. At least in theory it's like that and the United States is closer to that model than most other countries.

I'd say there should be some sort of aptitude test to be allowed to vote. But then you'd get a government voted in by arrogant ******** who think they have all the answers. The myriad of unintended consequences will keep historians busy for thousands of years. But you will get ALMS (or even better, there would finally be a proper sports car racing championship on a global level) instead of Bristol "three teeth per row in the stands" automobile wrestling drama.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:08 PM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Alright, I just flipped over to Speed during a commercial, and there was a Porsche commercial playing during Sprint Cup practice. Why don't you ask Porsche what demographic they are trying to reach?
Old 03-14-2008, 09:15 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 500 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt R
Alright, I just flipped over to Speed during a commercial, and there was a Porsche commercial playing during Sprint Cup practice. Why don't you ask Porsche what demographic they are trying to reach?
As there must be so many people complaining about NASCAR coverage, why isn't there another station that shows all racing except NASCAR? I would hazard a guess that there is just not a very large segment of the population interested in the rest.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:22 PM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist
I'd say there should be some sort of aptitude test to be allowed to vote. But then you'd get a government voted in by arrogant ******** who think they have all the answers. The myriad of unintended consequences will keep historians busy for thousands of years. But you will get ALMS (or even better, there would finally be a proper sports car racing championship on a global level) instead of Bristol "three teeth per row in the stands" automobile wrestling drama.
No, you'll get a bunch of self-important Prius driving, Gore loving, autobahn hating ****** that think all racing should be banned.

What kind of sissy asks for the government to regulate television anyway? I hate NASCRAP as much as the next person with an IQ above 100, but it's what people want to watch so it makes a profit. That profit does subsidize the tv we want to watch and the technology advancements we see in our cars, safety equipment, and upgrades.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:47 PM
flatsics
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Is it just me not getting why Speed and Nascar are making a big thing out of Bristol and wondering why it is stealing precious air time from ALMS and F1...

Frankly, I just don't get it. Stock toyota prius cars would go around that track faster, what is the big deal about it? I guess people who care so much about that race are the same as those who like tractor and lawnmower racing. Wrong cars for the wrong track.

Help me understand please. please. I am not trying to trash Nascar as I started to be interested in it this year... but Bristol?
Fred,
I am not a big NASCAR fan, but because of the sheer volume of coverage its hard to not to watch sometimes. I think if you ask most "real" NASCAR fans, short track racing is the real racing. They have to drive,bang,brake hard,opposite lock in the corners. Waay different than restrictor plate, foot to the floor the entire lap,racing.

Last edited by flatsics; 03-14-2008 at 10:36 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:58 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FlyingDog
No, you'll get a bunch of self-important Prius driving, Gore loving, autobahn hating ****** that think all racing should be banned.
Are you equating higher intelligence with autobahn hating? I must be an imbecile
then. So are the majority of Germans who are consistently voting against total speed limits. Especially those that can afford cars that are able to take advantage of the no limit sections. Rich retards, I guess.

Having a college degree does not make one intelligent.

I hope you noticed how I was not advocating government intervention into racing television coverage.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:16 PM
DHinkle
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 17 Posts

Interesting post. Racing coverage is all about money and sponsors. I grew up within 10 miles of Bristol. I've never attended a Nascar race but enjoy certain races, Bristol being one of them. I have all my teeth, a college degree and race a Porsche. As much as I'd like to see more sports car coverage, the money is in Nascar.

Addressing the demographics of Nascar, the sport accelarated when they started reaching a better demographic. I know quite a few individuals that will be at the Bristol race, in private suites. Trust me, they all their teeth and a lot of cash!

BTW- we'll be watching Sebring, F1 & the Bristol race during the weekend.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:58 PM
aeshultz
Burning Brakes

Dude - It's racing
If you can't appreciate that - sorry for you.
If you've got to break racing into social strata - again - sorry for you.
A question for you - if you couldn't drive Porsche - would you race?
I didn't think so.

Alan
Old 03-14-2008, 10:59 PM
FredC
Drifting

Don't read too much into all this. I am stuck at home, and just felt ****ty about the fact that my own personal preferred forms of racing were not getting coverage on speed this evening...despite the importance their respective season opening events. Please don't be offended by the title of the thread. It's meant for humor more than anything else.

And DHinkle: by the way, big time sponsors are big time sponsors and tend to enjoy private suites wherever they go, Bristol or Monaco.

Quick Reply: Bristol, Nascar, NRA, and missing teeth