Sponsored by:

Bristol, Nascar, NRA, and missing teeth

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 09:43 PM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Goettel
By the way, What is the difference between a Porsche and a cactus?
Rednecks like cactus?
Attached Images  
Old 03-15-2008, 10:02 PM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
Lastly, NASCAR has tied the driver as a visual image to a sponsor, so there is much more money available for sponshorship. You can't see Tony Stewart without visualizing Home Depot.

Here is one more point. At Skip Barber (Road America), I was doing a brush up course long ago. I asked one of the most expereinced instructors who he thought was the best driver to go through. His reply was, Jeff Gordon.
I watched an interview with Tony Stewart last year. He was asked why he recently went to a driving school. He said that he knew how to race on an oval, but he figured after winning a NASCAR championship it was time to learn how to actually drive a car.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:11 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Received 1,654 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Micheal Schumacher would spank Jeff Gordon in any car besides a NASCAR car - and given a little time, MS would take him in that too. And Jeff is a good driver.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:15 AM
F350Lawman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PTurbo965 Micheal Schumacher would spank Jeff Gordon in any car besides a NASCAR car - and given a little time, MS would take him in that too. And Jeff is a good driver.

Let me start by saying that I am a fan of NASCAR and really like the Bristol race, but that I can't stand Jeff Gordon. As much as I wish I could agree, I can't. Gordon is a great driver, not a good one. Just stating that someone else from an entirely diff. type of racing would, given time, automatically be better than Gordon is a major stretch no matter how good that driver is. It would be as bad as doing the reverse and assuming Gordon's NASCAR skills would be equally effective elsewhere. There are plenty of world renowned drivers who have come over to NASCAR and they aren't finding it easy to compete, let alone dominate. Sure these driver's carry their god given ability over to whatever body they race for, but you can't just assume they would be better than the best (over recent history) driver in the other type of racing.

F1 seems more technology and science based. NASCAR drivers seem to be more about seat of the pants feel and being able to communicate that to your crew during all the scheduled and unscheduled stops in a NASCAR race. Gordon has over the years, done this masterfully. I can't count the times Gordon has taken a car that was a dog, somehow hung in there and then gotten the adjustments made and destroyed whoever I was rooting for. The guy is a master at adapting and adjusting and then killing you at the end of a race. Gordon may be a wimpy looking, pretty boy but he is as ballsy, aggresive and even at times.... dirty as they come, when that checker flag is near.

It's ironic you picked Gordon, because it was very recently that I heard someone associated w/ F1 on a NASCAR related show single Gordon out as a guy who would be able to be an F1 driver. Probably because he's the new breed of driver, more analytical and less of a good ole' boy. Gordon and most of the "younger" drivers are starting to look and sound more like F1/Indy driver's than the sons and grandsons of moonshine runners; the characters that I enjoyed seeing in NASCAR not that long ago. Now I get dry, calculated,cookie cutter answers like I hear from every other talking head in the sports world. Well ....at least Stewart pops off once in awhile.
Old 03-16-2008, 12:58 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by F350Lawman
It's ironic you picked Gordon, because it was very recently that I heard someone associated w/ F1 on a NASCAR related show single Gordon out as a guy who would be able to be an F1 driver. Probably because he's the new breed of driver, more analytical and less of a good ole' boy. Gordon and most of the "younger" drivers are starting to look and sound more like F1/Indy driver's than the sons and grandsons of moonshine runners; the characters that I enjoyed seeing in NASCAR not that long ago. Now I get dry, calculated,cookie cutter answers like I hear from every other talking head in the sports world. Well ....at least Stewart pops off once in awhile.
Well Nascar better do something about that quick or they'll lose BillyJoeBob and the rest of their core market.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Quick Reply: Bristol, Nascar, NRA, and missing teeth