Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA GTS Hoosier Tire Contingency Awards

 
Old 03-03-2008, 07:32 PM
  #46  
Gary R.
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Gary R.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Valencia, Spain
Posts: 14,999
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I can't see how a 993 would be in GTS-2 with 180HP SC's! Have to be one heavy 993! Not that we wouldn't love to have you Mark!
Gary R. is offline  
Old 03-03-2008, 08:21 PM
  #47  
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member
 
Sean F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 4,705
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Gary, remember that we can run a lot lighter in NASA than PCA. IIRC we can run at about 2550 with driver with NASA vs. 2702 with PCA (based on running at 175 hp/175 TQ at the wheels from my last dyno)
Sean F is offline  
Old 03-03-2008, 08:25 PM
  #48  
Mark in Baltimore
Moderator
Rennlist Member
 
Mark in Baltimore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 21,252
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

I'm still running numbers, but all I know is that if I run in NASA in GTS2. . . I get to eat more pizza!!!!
Mark in Baltimore is offline  
Old 03-03-2008, 08:50 PM
  #49  
Gary R.
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Gary R.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Valencia, Spain
Posts: 14,999
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 1957 356 View Post
Gary, remember that we can run a lot lighter in NASA than PCA. IIRC we can run at about 2550 with driver with NASA vs. 2702 with PCA (based on running at 175 hp/175 TQ at the wheels from my last dyno)
You and I both need a new dyno run, we should go together, be cool to see how our engines fare now. I was at 2515 with 1/4 tank of gas with the yellow car (w/o driver) and I don't know how much lighter I could make it, this car should be the same.
Gary R. is offline  
Old 03-03-2008, 08:54 PM
  #50  
bobt993
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
bobt993's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philly Burbs
Posts: 3,062
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore View Post
I'm still running numbers, but all I know is that if I run in NASA in GTS2. . . I get to eat more pizza!!!!

Mark, I am setup for the VIR race in GTS2................. Between 150 and 200 lbs ballast. One advantage to the 993 is aero.
bobt993 is offline  
Old 03-03-2008, 09:01 PM
  #51  
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member
 
Sean F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 4,705
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by Gary R. View Post
You and I both need a new dyno run, we should go together, be cool to see how our engines fare now. I was at 2515 with 1/4 tank of gas with the yellow car (w/o driver) and I don't know how much lighter I could make it, this car should be the same.
Let's do it...dyno day

BTW, you can be lighter by the amount your passenger seat weighs. NASA is not hung up on having a passenger seat in the car.
Sean F is offline  
Old 03-03-2008, 09:02 PM
  #52  
Gary R.
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Gary R.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Valencia, Spain
Posts: 14,999
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by bobt993 View Post
Mark, I am setup for the VIR race in GTS2................. Between 150 and 200 lbs ballast. One advantage to the 993 is aero.
And 6 gears, and better brakes, and better suspension, and 100 more HP...

Originally Posted by 1957 356 View Post
Let's do it...dyno day
BTW, you can be lighter by the amount your passenger seat weighs. NASA is not hung up on having a passenger seat in the car.
Thats about 15 LB., but I would take it out just for the better visability!
Gary R. is offline  
Old 03-03-2008, 09:12 PM
  #53  
Mark in Baltimore
Moderator
Rennlist Member
 
Mark in Baltimore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 21,252
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

So, what is the max ballast weight I can run in NASA? I checked the rules but can't find any info. It looks like I'll need 150lbs of ballast to make it into GTS2.

<edit> Oops, missed Bob's post. 150lbs of ballast? Damn, that's a lot of lead (or depleted uranium).
Mark in Baltimore is offline  
Old 03-03-2008, 09:30 PM
  #54  
Jim Child
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,695
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore View Post
So, what is the max ballast weight I can run in NASA? I checked the rules but can't find any info. It looks like I'll need 150lbs of ballast to make it into GTS2.

<edit> Oops, missed Bob's post. 150lbs of ballast? Damn, that's a lot of lead (or depleted uranium).
I don't believe that there is a maximum amount of ballast. It just needs to be properly secured. It would be great to get some 993's running in GTS2.
Jim Child is offline  
Old 03-04-2008, 10:17 AM
  #55  
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thread Starter
 
John H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Portsmouth, Ohio
Posts: 4,821
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Mark,

I thought about GTS2 but thought I had to add more weight than 150. Maybe there are more pieces missing from my old car than yours? How much ballast did you have to add under the old class system? IIRC, I was adding 100 lbs to make weight in PCA.
John H is offline  
Old 03-04-2008, 10:24 AM
  #56  
Mark in Baltimore
Moderator
Rennlist Member
 
Mark in Baltimore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 21,252
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by John H View Post
Mark,

I thought about GTS2 but thought I had to add more weight than 150. Maybe there are more pieces missing from my old car than yours? How much ballast did you have to add under the old class system? IIRC, I was adding 100 lbs to make weight in PCA.
John,

Under the old system, I needed about 45lbs with 1/8 of a tank of gas. I carried 60lbs just in case. Sounds like your carbon fiber pistons really helped with the weight.
Mark in Baltimore is offline  
Old 03-04-2008, 10:36 AM
  #57  
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thread Starter
 
John H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Portsmouth, Ohio
Posts: 4,821
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore View Post
John,

Under the old system, I needed about 45lbs with 1/8 of a tank of gas. I carried 60lbs just in case. Sounds like your carbon fiber pistons really helped with the weight.
Carbon fiber pistons. Could that be the cause of the loud knocking and horrible compression? Seeing that car sitting in the garage with a bum engine and unplanned "body work" is killing me. We should start giving Joe L. the treatment for not properly setting his priorities.
John H is offline  
Old 03-04-2008, 10:38 AM
  #58  
Mark in Baltimore
Moderator
Rennlist Member
 
Mark in Baltimore's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 21,252
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Still busted up from Watkins Glen?
Mark in Baltimore is offline  
Old 03-04-2008, 11:25 AM
  #59  
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thread Starter
 
John H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Portsmouth, Ohio
Posts: 4,821
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Yeah. We did some backyard stuff and got it looking okay for a NASA event and he then proceeded to miss the 3-4 shift mistakenly finding 2nd. It was winched into the trailer, rolled into the garage and hasn't moved for over 6 months. The car has in excess of 140,000 on the virgin motor so no one is really complaining.
John H is offline  
Old 03-04-2008, 01:41 PM
  #60  
Bull993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Bull993tt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 158
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Remember guys, The GTS web site rules are a little misleading at first glance. The formula that they show factors torque into the equation. But if you read the paragraph above that it implies that torque is only a factor if it is greater then your RWHP which on Normal Aspirated cars it is not. That formula applies to forced induction applications (ie. turbo's and Superchargers). So again, if your torque is not greater then your RWHP you divide weight w/ driver and gear by RWHP. Torque is not factored into the equation in this this case. My estimate for you Mark is 3200 lbs / 220 RWHP (not flywheel HP) = 14.54 which puts you in GTS2 w/out adding weight by the skin of your teeth. 14.5 is the cut off for GTS2. If you fall below that, you are in GTS3. If your RWHP comes in a little higher and/or your car and gear weighs a little less, then you will have to add a little weight. I will bet I'm pretty close in these estimates.
Bull993tt is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: