Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NASA GTS Hoosier Tire Contingency Awards

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 10:32 PM
philstireservice
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Careful....you never know who's watching......
Old 02-25-2008, 10:56 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

I'll, i'll, i'll.....
Old 02-25-2008, 11:30 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

A huge thanks to Phil (Phil's Tire). It was his grassroots support of NASA here in the midwest that got Hoosier Corp. to notice the NASA race group. 4 years ago when I started racing with NASA, Phil would show up to far flung tracks like Putman Park, driving 100's of miles from upstate NY to sell a few sets of tires. NASA racers mostly run "spec" tires that pay money out to winners. GTS and 944 Cup did not have (back then) a spec tire or the # of racers to be noticed by big tire manf. Phil was not going to sell a lot of tires... Hoosier Midwest pulled support from NASA midwest races as they could not sell enough tires to make it worth their while. Phil gutted it out gained loyal support and became the de facto supplier to NASA IN/OH/Midwest. Imagine showing up for a race weekend and not having tire service. Got cords, too bad. flat tire or bent rim, too bad. I almost stopped racing with NASA because of the pending lack of track side tire suppport. Thanks for sticking with us Phil! When NASA started the National Championship a couple of years ago, Phil was the only vendor invited to sell Hoosiers. Phil and his wife mounted 100's of tires the 1st Championship, working until the wee hours of the morning getting our rubber ready for the morning sessions. Hoosier noticed. Last year the suits from Hoosier showed up to see Phil in action. Phil pushed Hoosier for support of the grassroots racers, give the boys some money he said!! The other spec tire manf. had incentives, but not Hoosier. The suits liked what they saw with Phil and his set up. The end result, we now have $$/tires for running what we all know, in Porsche racing, as "the spec" tire. Phil believed so much in NASA he was/is offering his own incentive program, out of his own pocket before Hoosier step in. I know there is not a lot of margin in tire sales, it was a risky move. Kudos Phil!! Thanks for your hard work to make this happed, without your pushing Hoosier for this program, it would probaly not exist! Guys, if you can buy from Phil, please do so. He is a great guy, outstanding service and has certainly paid his dues (and he is a fellow racer!)

Last edited by Eric in Chicago; 02-25-2008 at 11:51 PM.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:39 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

I need to order tires now. Where is everyone ordering their Hoosiers. Tire Rack or directly from Phil?
What if I just want them shipped to my house?
Old 02-26-2008, 07:44 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I get my tires from Phil...great service.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:55 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I WOULD if I ever get her back!

what is happening with the car? Getting that intercooler installed Gary?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by constaf
what is happening with the car? Getting that intercooler installed Gary?
Already set and inside the OEM air cleaner housing, the hard part was making the turbo look like a Flowmaster 80 but Dan got er done..

New AIM Pista DAS system with a bunch of sensors being installed now Fred, Dan was waiting for some special bracket but said I should have her back by this weekend to start MY work..
Old 02-26-2008, 10:21 AM
FredC
Drifting

... her back by this weekend to start MY work..
Sounds like we'll send a scrute (Ray Newman?) to your house to inspect the work. Will you take care of him?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:24 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by constaf
Sounds like we'll send a scrute (Ray Newman?) to your house to inspect the work. Will you take care of him?
Oh yeah.. won't be seeing HIM around anymore...

So are you going to just cross out the "F" and add a "D" and call her the Alphabet car?
Old 02-26-2008, 10:41 AM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 993944S2
I need to order tires now. Where is everyone ordering their Hoosiers. Tire Rack or directly from Phil?
Don:

Check with Phil or Kim, they may be able to have drop shipped to your location.

Originally Posted by Eric in Chicago
A huge thanks to Phil (Phil's Tire). ............. Guys, if you can buy from Phil, please do so. He is a great guy, outstanding service and has certainly paid his dues (and he is a fellow racer!)
Eric has it right, Phil and Kim have been outstanding and then some. Thee absolute best for my money. They have been lifesavers for the 944 Cup series. When we lost tire support for NASA MidAtlantic a few years ago, racers were frantic, Phil's Tire stepped up. Without them there would not been tire service trackside for us. And then they show up at most race weekends here in the East. I suspect Phil and Kim are cloning themselves, as there is no possible way they can be so many places so many weekends, serving so many racers. The 944 Cup is truly indebted to both of them.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:50 AM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

A big "Thank You!!" to Phil and Kim for the support!!!

Last edited by bgiere; 02-26-2008 at 10:51 AM. Reason: sp
Old 02-26-2008, 10:52 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993944S2
You no longer have a choice if you want in on the contingency, pick someone from the list. Price is pretty much the same everywhere.. If you buy from Phil or Hoosier East they will bring the tires to the track and mount/balance them right there (assuming they are attending that particular race).. As 944 Cup said, most likely they will ship them to you also... just ask.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:01 AM
FredC
Drifting

Oh yeah.. won't be seeing HIM around anymore...

So are you going to just cross out the "F" and add a "D" and call her the Alphabet car?
And the G is stuck under the clear bra.... that is why you still see it on the pic of my avatar.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:02 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That cool! Now we have Hoosier and Kumho giving contingency money! I'm running Kumho's now and the car is stickered as such. I'm glad to see GTS is getting more attention now. NASA and GTS are both growing, IMHO.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:08 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

www.philstireservice.com

Another big +1 to what Eric said. Phil and Kim are great and without a doubt the hardest working people at the track during race weekends.

Quick Reply: NASA GTS Hoosier Tire Contingency Awards