Sponsored by:

Heel and Toe at DEs

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 12:10 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
Not to mention when you get in the groove and your leg "forgets" that you are not stabbing the clutch and you almost smack your helmet on the steering wheel.
Reminds me of one of the first times I drove a SMG equipped BMW. Went up through the revs and as I was approaching 8000 RPM, I reached down to slick the gear lever while at the same time going for the clutch out of instinct...my left foot caught the edge of the brake pedal instead.

When I was learning to drive single seaters, the hardest part wasn't teaching myself to LFB, but rather breaking the instinct to go for the clutch on an upshift.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:37 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by srf506
Mooty, that's probably my problem, a torn ligment and a broken right ankle that's not that mobile anymore. By the way, in the early days of racing HT was described as Heel-Toe-Heel. The old guys used the heel of their foot on the brake and put their "toe" on the accelerator to blip it. I guess it was in the late sixties/early seventies when the common emergence of disk brakes made modulation of the brake pedal more important that most pro drivers started making the switch to that method we all know and love today. I guess the old drums were so ineffective/faded you didn't modulate, you just mashed them.

By the way, since we're talking advanced driving techniques does anyone teach left foot braking at DEs?
wow, heel toe heel sounds painful.

LFB is hard to TEACH. i think you just have to experiement at very low speed and get used to it. first time i did it, i came to a fulls top haaha.... i now only use it if i wanted as much speed as i can before a turn but i need to nose to bite, so i would just bruch the brk lightly but never let off the throttle.

however, 996 and later cars will not let you do it. if you are on gas first then brake, you get fuel cut off after a few nano seconds. but if you are really really really fast with your foot.... let off gas, brake first, hold the brk and back on gas. as long as brake is engaged first, you can LFB all you want...

i know what you mean about bad ankles, my will go one day too. but hopefully by then, clutchless shifting ala F1 cars will be perfected and cheap enough for us to use on normal cars.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:46 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

I guess because of my flying background or maybe because I'm left handed, Left foot braking came pretty naturally. I find it most useful to keep my revs up when I'm trying to time a pass or in the draft at a track like Daytona and I need to match speed to the car in front of me to bump draft or space out enough to start a slingshot.

I agree, I can't wait to get paddle shifters with "semi-auto" boxes on all cars. Then we'll all be left braking ;-)
Old 02-19-2008, 01:53 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
wow, heel toe heel sounds painful.

however, 996 and later cars will not let you do it. if you are on gas first then brake, you get fuel cut off after a few nano seconds. but if you are really really really fast with your foot.... let off gas, brake first, hold the brk and back on gas. as long as brake is engaged first, you can LFB all you want...

I assume that's only on cars with PSM. I can LFB my 986. I'm glad students cars come with PSM but I'm equally glad mine didn't.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:23 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 478 Posts

^^^Im pretty sure its limited to 996s and 997s (maybe the new boxters and caymans as well). Its really god damn annoying...even the GT3/rs has it!
Old 02-19-2008, 02:44 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you dont need EEE shoes to heel and toe any porsches or any car. you just have to HEEL and TOE, not roll your foot. even when the ht of pedals are drastically different, you should be able to elevate or lower your heel by rotating it and pivot up and down about the ball of your foot. you do need a very good ankle!

This is not true, there are several vehicles that are next to impossible to heel toe, at least without slouching down in the seat and turning your whole leg, thereby making it a hazzard rather than a help. And this is coming from someone who ALWAYS uses heel toe, not roll ankle. Roll ankle is hard in many factory cars.

As for Porsches, I havent been in one that's all that difficult to H/T
Old 02-19-2008, 04:31 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by srf506
Quite frankly, I kind of disagree with the whole DE premise. A DE should have skid pad work, car control, and accident avoidance manuvers, its too much leaning toward "racing" skills and who can run the lowest lap times. I like track time and driving fast too, but a street car on a race track promoting those that turn the lowest lap times to a "higher" level is not the way to do it. Get a competition car if you want to run timed laps. But, if that's what floats your boat, sail on.
I don't know which DE you have been to but with most organizations I have driven with the lowest lap time did not necessarily correlate with group promotion. Good technique, smoothness, awareness, knowledge of the flags and procedures are the usual criteria.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:38 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by amaist
I don't know which DE you have been to but with most organizations I have driven with the lowest lap time did not necessarily correlate with group promotion. Good technique, smoothness, awareness, knowledge of the flags and procedures are the usual criteria.

Yes, but we all know, faster guys tend to get promoted quicker. If you can be fast without being sloppy you get promoted REAL fast. True more with some groups than others, but still true.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:54 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by wanna911
Yes, but we all know, guys with fast cars tend to get promoted quicker. If you can run fast lap times without being sloppy you get promoted REAL fast. True more with some groups than others, but still true.
Corrected^^^

The problem is that it is hard to disassociate the car from the driver, especially when they have a really potent car. Our region is pretty good about recognizing good drivers yet I know of a recent instance where a driver was quickly promoted because of the speed of his car. IMHO he is at least 3 seconds off the pace of his car, based upon what other drivers have done in similar cars.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:00 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bryan Watts
The problem with LFB, it that most drivers don't have any "feel" with their left foot when they start. I know I didn't when I was trying to learn in Formula Mazda...I ended up borrowing an automatic Ford Explorer and driving it around on the street to teach my left foot. It's absolutely a skill that must be practiced in an empty parking lot the first few times unless the driver already has some karting or single-seater background. Otherwise, you end up slamming on the brakes as you would the clutch. Definitely NOT a skill to "learn" on track until you are sure that your left foot is capable of modulation.
Good points Brian...I'm learning with the Hummer! Now it's become more "second nature".

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 02-19-2008, 05:17 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
I assume that's only on cars with PSM. I can LFB my 986. I'm glad students cars come with PSM but I'm equally glad mine didn't.
Left foot braking has been a problem since the 2000 model year when Porsche went to E-gas. Note that 1999 C4s also had E-gas but in 2000 it was in all models of Boxster and 911. E-Gas means that the gas pedal is an input to the engine computer and has no direct connection to the engine.

If you apply the brake while your foot is on the gas, the computer assumes you have a runaway throttle. Remember the gas pedal is connected to a computer and not the engine directly. Suspecting a runaway, the engine computer cuts the gas to the engine.

This can make left foot braking in a corner quite exciting! The only way to LFB is to take your foot off the gas, then brake then reapply throttle (Mooty described it above). Not easy to do in time.

On the subject of Heel and Toe - I wrote the promotion criteria used by National (it was developed for the Rennsport region and then adopted by National). I consider H&T to be an important driving skill and we require it for promotion to higher run groups. There are exceptions made for handicapped people and folks with tiptronics. DE is not racing, but advanced driving and the ability to enter a corner with the car in proper balance is important.

Best,
Old 02-19-2008, 08:03 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I always braked with my left foot from the time I started driving on the street. I am a drummer by trade and very ambidextrous so braking with my left foot came natural and seemed safer due to a quicker reaction time. I got docked on my driving test at 16 years old for braking with my left foot.

I really miss my left foot though.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:36 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Corrected^^^

The problem is that it is hard to disassociate the car from the driver, especially when they have a really potent car. Our region is pretty good about recognizing good drivers yet I know of a recent instance where a driver was quickly promoted because of the speed of his car. IMHO he is at least 3 seconds off the pace of his car, based upon what other drivers have done in similar cars.
3 Seconds is negligible though, Tires could be different, combined with DE environment, alignment setup etc. If someone is within 3 seconds of the fastest time for a car, that's doing pretty good. I mean we arent talking pro racers here where 3 seconds seperates a whole field.

But I do agree that a faster car will likely get promoted faster. I think a more powerful car takes more to maximize in terms of the potential of the car. But a less powerful car requires more skill about knowing ones surroundings.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:14 PM
Mike S.
Pro

LFB is hard to TEACH. i think you just have to experiement at very low speed and get used to it.
Mooty,

While the pedal feel is much different, doing some a couple sessions in a kart will provide a general feel for LFB.

So to will living in Buffalo with a FWD car where you'd like to have a little fun going around corners on snowpacked roads. A little LFB, albiet with still some throttle input, can make you feel like your favorite Scandinavian rally driver.......at least until you run into your first curb.

Mike
Old 02-19-2008, 09:21 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by sbelles
not so. 996GT3 and 997GT3 do not have PSM, but if you are on throttle first and then try to LFB, you will lose power after a few nanoseconds.

yes, and on cayman as well.

Quick Reply: Heel and Toe at DEs