Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody use these (pics inside) Griot's wheel storage hangers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 08:36 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Anybody use these (pics inside) Griot's wheel storage hangers?

Don't care to do a tire rack on the wall for 2 sets of wheels and thought 4 of these would be great to accommodate 8 wheels. Anybody have any comments on them?

LINK

TIA!
Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2008, 08:56 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

doesn't look to secure (from easily coming off) D. If you could lock them on, maybe. I bought the tire racks in my garage from Pit Posse (aluminum) and I love them, look good too.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c..._1987_53133267
Old 02-08-2008, 09:03 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Any pics Chris (installed in your garage)? By the way are you coming to CMP next month or are ya still cutting off your nose to spite your face?
Old 02-08-2008, 09:04 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dell I am in the process of planning a garage and was thinking of coping the Tire rack concept but build it myself out of wood or pipe so I could get two sets of tires up there. I used to work at Goodyear (years ago) and they store tires on a metal shelf like structure but just take the center support flat surface out of the shelf and just let the tire rest in between the front and back supports if that makes any sense.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:07 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the input Frank. Similar to a tire rack for a trailer? My only concern about the typical tire rack like I have in my trailer as well is the 90 degree edges that the tires rest on. Leaves a serious dent in the rubber which I am sure doesn't do any permanent harm but you can never be too careful with the one thing, actually the only thing, that comes between you and the ground
Old 02-08-2008, 09:38 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Thanks for the input Frank. Similar to a tire rack for a trailer? My only concern about the typical tire rack like I have in my trailer as well is the 90 degree edges that the tires rest on. Leaves a serious dent in the rubber which I am sure doesn't do any permanent harm but you can never be too careful with the one thing, actually the only thing, that comes between you and the ground

I've got Gorilla Racks from Costco that I use with foam pipe insulation on the "sharp" edges - works great for my extra wheels/tires - Tires on the bottom rack, tools and supplies on the shelves above - and each shelf can hold a lot of weight - I think it was 800 lbs. per shelf or something like that...
Old 02-08-2008, 09:50 PM
Food Angel
Off-Topic Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

We've got those Griots tire hangers in our garage. They've worked well for DrJupeman and me.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:52 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

You got any pictures of the Gorilla Racks? My wheels and tires take up at least one car space, maybe more.

Bill Seifert

1987 944S Race Car
Old 02-08-2008, 10:05 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

These units work well and seem reasonably priced:

Last edited by Bull; 02-15-2008 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:21 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Any pics Chris (installed in your garage)? By the way are you coming to CMP next month or are ya still cutting off your nose to spite your face?
I'm going where I'm appreciated........Road Atl (if they don't cancel) with BMW boys next month. Roebling next w/e and a cruise after RA, no more time for anymore track duty (plus mama would kill me )

I'll have to look for pics, if not I'll pop a couple for ya tomorrow and post here.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:24 PM
Renn 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've got them. I store one set for the Audi (winter/summer) and one set for the 951 (track/street). The wheels are very stable, easy to access and they don't stick out far from the wall so they don't encroach on working space.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:45 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Renn, WOW super nice looking garage!
Old 02-09-2008, 12:21 AM
FlyingDog
Nordschleife Master

I like the tire rack idea much more than the post sticking out from the wall. Although Renn951 has a nice garage, the wheels take up a lot of wall space and that's a lot of those posts.

For the dents, that's easy to fix. Find some local welder to make you one with square tubing rotated to the proper angle to not dent the tires.

Then again, what do I know... Our track tires are stored in stacks between the exercise bike and the weight machine.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:25 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Wow! All great points and input. I think I am liking the product that Bob posted. It seems to have rails that are cylindrical which would be great on the tires.

And from a space perspective, it looks like the Griot's posts seem to take up ALOT of real estate.

I'll look into the Tire Rack setup.

.....and Chris Get over it! Me and Randy love running with you and with that attitude we'll never be able to have the fun we have had in the past. Remember the rain when it was practically just you and me on the track??? One of the best times I have ever had running with a buddy!
Old 02-09-2008, 08:29 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't have pics but do you know the shelves you can buy i.e. from Home Depot (gray L-steel in corners with holes so the shelves are adjustable)?

I bough those and instead of using them as they're supposed to (shelving standing on the floor), I bolted them to the ceiling beams on my garage ceiling and hung the shelving from them. I have spare tires, stock this and that all kind of Porsche stuff up there. I can take a pic if you want.

Quick Reply: Anybody use these (pics inside) Griot's wheel storage hangers?