Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody use these (pics inside) Griot's wheel storage hangers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 08:31 AM
aben8057
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dell,

When I tackled my garage project in the summer of 07, I had some dead space behind one of the main beams going through the garage. I decided to take advantage of the space for storage. Besides building a hanging shelf, I also built a tire rack using ½ black pipe in a 8'x18" configuration. I also used 2x3 wood anchored to the ceiling joist and wall in order to distibute the weight out evenly. I chose to hang the tire rack via straps attached to O-hooks as seen on the pictures.

Maybe went overboard with the straps and o-hooks (anchored at 90 and 45 degree's) however, safety first. Since then the garage door has cycled numerous times without having any negative affect due to vibrations. The total cost of the rack was somewhere in the $50 range.

This summer I plan on finishing the project by painting the 2x8 and organizing the straps.
Attached Images    

Last edited by aben8057; 02-09-2008 at 08:52 AM.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:24 AM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

I really the tirerack version and since my wall is pretty long, I could two side to side. Thanks guys for the info, never thought of looking at tirerack (even though the store name says it all!! )
Old 02-09-2008, 09:35 AM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Never a fan of those poles. While I'm sure they work well, I would constantly be hitting my head or knee on them. I went with the homemade 2x4 version. I have a $40 materials one in the basement, and a larger $50 version in the garage (it is longer to fit in the space I had). Lots of wheel/tire storage and minimal footprint.
Attached Images   
Old 02-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I like to simply stack mine on the floor...is that so wrong?
Old 02-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
These units work well and seem reasonably priced:

Wonder if those would be ok in a trailer? Add a pipe through the center of the wheels and a couple cables at each end to secure...
Old 02-09-2008, 11:00 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Noel
I like to simply stack mine on the floor...is that so wrong?
Takes up precious floor space

Thanks everybody for all the suggestions, pictures, and experiences. I think I am going with the Tire Rack system that was suggested. Seems to be EXACTLY what I am looking for.

I'll post back when I get it installed.

Cheers!
Old 02-09-2008, 11:18 AM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Noel

Stacking is what I do, and it goes with the trashy look of my garage, a look, I am sure I will keep. However, I personally like the 2x4 setup of Mike Buck, and it looks cheap, which I am. For some reason, the tire/wheel I need is always on the bottom of the stack. Plus if you stack them too high, they fall over, and scare the cats or dog.

Bill
Old 02-09-2008, 11:22 AM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Don't care to do a tire rack on the wall for 2 sets of wheels and thought 4 of these would be great to accommodate 8 wheels. Anybody have any comments on them?

LINK

TIA!
I've got 4 of their long ones. They've worked really well for me for the last couple years. I have no negatives.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:07 PM
CWay27
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Wonder if those would be ok in a trailer? Add a pipe through the center of the wheels and a couple cables at each end to secure...
Wouldn't you the folding one like posted above? The tire rack rack is help by the top and their might be a pressure pushing against the wall (see rubber pucks). Creating a cantilever effect. Wouldn't that be too much for thin trailer walls?? The folding racks seem to be screwed at the top and bottom and then unfolds like a chair.

I don't know, I'm just guessing
Old 02-09-2008, 12:08 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Dell, the only thing I see as a slight negative is the required wall space/4 tires. Ea. unit has a 66" OD. I bet you need more than 1 unit for your inventory.

I have been musing on the tire problem in my garage as well. The tire rack solution is pretty good but, I have around 24 tires and rims. That is a lot of 4 tire racks and lots of wall space.

Has anyone built or considered building a double height, double width, rack using 2" PVC. I did a bend test on a piece I have at the house and found it to be VERY strong. The only dilemma I haven't solved is attaching casters. I need to be able to roll things around for sweeping and moping of the floor. If anyone has pics of this setup or suggestion I'd like to see them.

I think you could build this system for under $100 depending on casters. I would use 4" Swivels
w/locking fronts.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:20 PM
Noel
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill L Seifert
Noel

Stacking is what I do, and it goes with the trashy look of my garage, a look, I am sure I will keep. However, I personally like the 2x4 setup of Mike Buck, and it looks cheap, which I am. For some reason, the tire/wheel I need is always on the bottom of the stack. Plus if you stack them too high, they fall over, and scare the cats or dog.

Bill
Bill, you can always dress up your stacked tires with these:
Attached Images   
Old 02-09-2008, 02:44 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Takes up precious floor space ...
Exactly. I have a small garage so saving floor space is key. And in any case. there's usually a lot of unused space up in everyone's garage, why not utilize it?
Old 02-09-2008, 02:58 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by CWay27
Wouldn't you the folding one like posted above? The tire rack rack is help by the top and their might be a pressure pushing against the wall (see rubber pucks). Creating a cantilever effect. Wouldn't that be too much for thin trailer walls?? The folding racks seem to be screwed at the top and bottom and then unfolds like a chair.

I don't know, I'm just guessing
I have plywood walls over the studs. I would think that the weight is being held by both the rack screwed in and the pressure exerted on those pucks. If the pucks could be located over at least one stud they should be fine. I have to look at a regular trailer rack to see how they are mounted but I would think this would be fine once modiifed to hold the wheels in place with a thin walled tube and some cables..
Old 02-09-2008, 04:57 PM
shustermeister
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill L Seifert
You got any pictures of the Gorilla Racks? My wheels and tires take up at least one car space, maybe more.

Bill Seifert

1987 944S Race Car
I have a full set of Street tires (on 996 Turbo Hollows) which fit easily across the bottom of one rack, and two spare tires are in the second, closer rack.
I don't have the foam on all the rack bottoms, but you get the idea. If I had track tires with softer compound rubber I'd line the bottoms of the support arms with the foam to prevent "cutting" or "imprinting".
Attached Images   
Old 02-10-2008, 11:23 AM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Noel, I like those tire covers, where'd ya get em>

Shustermeister

Those gorrilla racks came from COSCO uh? Any place else to get them? The COSCO employee that got me a COSCO card got fired. So they wouldn't let me buy the last time I went there. I sure hate to pay to shop, but I guess I have no choice, cause those things look neat, and fairly easy to assemble for an unhandy guy like me.

Bill

Quick Reply: Anybody use these (pics inside) Griot's wheel storage hangers?