Where are the Alonso detractors Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 11:46 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
I'm interested to see how well he does without TC.

Before he came to F1, this old Finnish rally driver (who lives in UK and who's name escapes me now) who is a driving coach had Hamilton with him to learn oversteering etc.
He said Hamilton sucked big time in slippery conditions, didn't have a clue really but after a lot of work he finally learned how to control the car. That might have an effect with new F1 cars & no TC.
From what I read of the recent testing in the same issue, the only one who looked completely out of sorts was Massa.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:03 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
From what I read of the recent testing in the same issue, the only one who looked completely out of sorts was Massa.
I think what seems to be true in many sports is that there are two extremes of techniques and drivers seem to fall somewhere between the two extremes. A great example would be Kimi on the one extreme who is very analytical. He is great because he is unemotional and very accurate. Calculating every move. The other extreme would be Massa who seems to thrive on emotion. Sure he has skill but he drives with pure passion. The problem is that passion drivers take longer to adapt to big change while the calculating, accurate drivers can adapt quickly. Alonso seems to be somewhere in the middle however, he pulls out his best performances when pissed off. Hamilton, on the other hand seems to falter when emotional. By the middle of the season, all drivers will have adapted and we will see the same mostly boring races akin to last year.... Unless it rains! I will be praying for rain every race weekend!
Old 02-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

When asked about the lack of TC, Kimi said he didn't notice
Old 02-08-2008, 12:21 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,709 Posts

If you look at Alonso's driving style with the abrupt turn in at Renault, that seemed to work as his style was to have A LOT of understeer until the car hooked up. This goes hand in hand with the change in the way the engineers used ballast in the cars. In the past, they would want a neutral car. That shifted with the ballast then placed as far up the nose of the car as possible to make it as heavy as possible in front. A great illistration of this is when a car would have an off, the crane picks up the car at the roll hoop and the car goes into a nose dive with a corner worker supporting the front so it doesn't hit the ground. Basically the engineers wanted as much weight up front for turn in as possible and this was not exclusive to Renault.

If you look at the 2008 races, Alonso starts the season with this same abrupt turn in style, but slowly changed it and was more smooth with his imputs as the McLaren car was not condusive to that droving style. The first GP of the year will be telling if Alonso goes back to that style.

With respect to Hamilton, he has a driving style where he likes to slide the car in every turn. I wonder if the lack of tc in this years car will lead to prematurely wear out the tires. Once again, I can't wait for the 1st race of the year.

Last edited by multi21; 02-08-2008 at 12:37 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:42 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Name changed! Now I feel weird...

Mike,
Like I said, next week lunch here in Miami Beach would be great. Let me know
what day works. And as I said, you need to me able to take the punishment of looking hot girls in tight outfits...

Mike and I are already going, now we only need you to join. Any day next week, lunch at Lincoln Road or Ocean Drive, can you make it?
Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I saw something about the contrasting driving styles of Alonso, MS and someone else (I forget who). They talked about Alonso's abrupt initial steering input as a way to set the car in an understeering mode throughout the corner. Driver #2 had a smoother style with very neutral handling and MS was the fastest and smoothest on entry but had to deal with oversteer on corner exit. I wish I could remember where I saw that. It was quite interesting.
Originally Posted by M3Pete
If you look at Alonso's driving style with the abrupt turn in at Renault, that seemed to work as his style was to have A LOT of understeer until the car hooked up. This goes hand in hand with the change in the way the engineers used ballast in the cars. In the past, they would want a neutral car. That shifted with the ballast then placed as far up the nose of the car as possible to make it as heavy as possible in front. A great illistration of this is when a car would have an off, the crane picks up the car at the roll hoop and the car goes into a nose dive with a corner worker supporting the front so it doesn't hit the ground. Basically the engineers wanted as much weight up front for turn in as possible and this was not exclusive to Renault.

If you look at the 2008 races, Alonso starts the season with this same abrupt turn in style, but slowly changed it and was more smooth with his imputs as the McLaren car was not condusive to that droving style. The first GP of the year will be telling if Alonso goes back to that style.

With respect to Hamilton, he has a driving style where he likes to slide the car in every turn. I wonder if the lack of tc in this years car will lead to him over use the tires. Once again, I can't wait for the 1st race of the year.
Pete you can start to cut and paste your responses, usual empty stuff.....

Disagree with the analysis guys, If you look at Alonso in the michelin shod renault that was the style required to get the most out of his tires , he never drove the bridgestone shod mclaren in that manner. If you are new to the game go back and watch him at minardi or renault in the first year , he did not driver like that. He was credited for getting the most out of the michelins due to his ability to catch the car on rotation on turn in putting more bite into the tires . Remember, Kimi had more tire failures than Alonso and more than Montoya who was driving the same car and tires, hamilton also moves the car around alot, we will see how his tires last without TC.....

Here is alonso jerking the wheel pass schumacher ON THE OUTSIDE OF 130R IN Japan ja,ja,ja,ja,
www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLZLxT1ZEPA

Finn call or pm the date and location for lunch ......
Old 02-08-2008, 01:49 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
hamilton also moves the car around alot, we will see how his tires last without TC.....
Is there an echo in here? Talk about cut and paste
Old 02-08-2008, 02:16 PM
993-CT
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While looking for F1 driving styles on youtube, found this oldie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk2p2nRK-p4

fascinating analysis using telemetry of Schumi's throttle control vs his teammate in Benetton.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:02 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ahhh, the master at work. It never gets old
Old 02-08-2008, 05:04 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Found it! Click here!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Found it! Click here!
Nice Find
Old 02-08-2008, 05:15 PM
jester911
Drifting

Great vid Larry. Good insight.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:58 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

All those videos where posted here last year and atthe time we had discussed the differing driving styles , well before the 3 amigos started littering the post with their negative conjectures..... Nice to see we can now get back to content.........
Old 02-09-2008, 02:50 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch236
I think what seems to be true in many sports is that there are two extremes of techniques and drivers seem to fall somewhere between the two extremes. A great example would be Kimi on the one extreme who is very analytical. He is great because he is unemotional and very accurate. Calculating every move. The other extreme would be Massa who seems to thrive on emotion. Sure he has skill but he drives with pure passion. The problem is that passion drivers take longer to adapt to big change while the calculating, accurate drivers can adapt quickly. Alonso seems to be somewhere in the middle however, he pulls out his best performances when pissed off. Hamilton, on the other hand seems to falter when emotional. By the middle of the season, all drivers will have adapted and we will see the same mostly boring races akin to last year.... Unless it rains! I will be praying for rain every race weekend!
I agree that Kimi drives with no emotion and that helps. He doesn't calculate that much though and IMO is the most "just wing it" type of guy and has the best natural feel of the car.
Can't tell how well he sets the car up since I have no info on that but if it's raw talent & feel of what car is doing, I think he's the best of the current drovers.

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
...Finn call or pm the date and location for lunch ......
Done.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:16 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What happened?

I take a few days off to go to FL karting with my son (A. Wayne didn't show up at the paddock....I knew I shouldn't have wasted the money buying all those cardboard Alonso cutouts) and Alonso#2 is closed/gone?
Old 02-11-2008, 09:32 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
What happened?

I take a few days off to go to FL karting with my son (A. Wayne didn't show up at the paddock....I knew I shouldn't have wasted the money buying all those cardboard Alonso cutouts) and Alonso#2 is closed/gone?
Lewis? You mean you didn't give him our gift, "Michael Schumacher, The Whole Story", signed by all three amigos?

He might have been drinking with the Finn

Quick Reply: Where are the Alonso detractors Pt 3