How Many Offs Have You Had?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 01:30 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slivel
However, the racing surface is dynamic and debris on the track that wasn't there the lap before or oil or coolant put down just ahead of you can easily result in an off and is probably not avoidable by even the most experienced among us.
True, and in context with the thread, that kind of "off" is not a result of (or proof of) driving aggressively and testing the limits.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 02-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

In the most recent 4 year period of DE driving (Before that was motorcycles while I took a break from cars) I've only had one off. It was summer 2005 and I was on cold hoosiers at VIR... Rear came around on me hard at T10 at about 100mph. I have the clip posted on youtube...

Early Apex and cold tires... That was DUMB!!!

Mike
Old 02-03-2008, 01:48 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

There is a good discussion of spins and testing the limits in Carl Lopez's "Going Faster!". A few quotes:

"If you have to be going backwards to know you made a mistake, you're not too smart" -- Skip Barber

"You've got to take small steps to find out where the limit is. You have to learn that fine line of where the car starts to break loose and learn to control it. But to spin to find the limit? Not on a damned oval, you don't" -- Danny Sullivan

"When Rick (Rick Mears) retired in 1993 he had run 15 years at Indianoapolis, qualified on the pole ... six times, was on the front row eleven times, won the race four times, and in all that time, spun and hit the wall twice -- both times because of a mechanical failure"

"Spinning is evidence of failure to accomplish the most basic role of a race driver: keeping the car on the road"

The last one sounds like it was written by VR.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:00 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mglobe
There is a good discussion of spins and testing the limits in Carl Lopez's "Going Faster!". A few quotes:

"If you have to be going backwards to know you made a mistake, you're not too smart" -- Skip Barber

"You've got to take small steps to find out where the limit is. You have to learn that fine line of where the car starts to break loose and learn to control it. But to spin to find the limit? Not on a damned oval, you don't" -- Danny Sullivan

"When Rick (Rick Mears) retired in 1993 he had run 15 years at Indianoapolis, qualified on the pole ... six times, was on the front row eleven times, won the race four times, and in all that time, spun and hit the wall twice -- both times because of a mechanical failure"

"Spinning is evidence of failure to accomplish the most basic role of a race driver: keeping the car on the road"
Sounds like required reading to me. Then, we run into the problem of READING COMPREHENSION!!!!!
Old 02-03-2008, 02:24 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Mike, you made simple mistakes, as every single one of us does every single lap. IMO, that is very different from having a philosophy that "If I don't spin/go off, I need to go faster", which you most definitely DON'T have. Please give yourself credit where credit is due here...

Rick, IMO, this is very smart, and it is what we teach our students, too. Again, very different from a philosophy of "Gotta go faster if I ain't spinning"...
I missed this comment from earlier. Thanks Dave. Actually, in both of my offs, while I was unhappy that I went off the track, I do feel that following my mistakes, I "corrected" by making good decisions. I realized that I was past the limit of what either the car or myself was capable off, and that simply driving the car off the track was safer than trying to save it. I've had other cases where I've broken loose, and chosen a save as the best course of action. Both scenarios are "failures" followed by corrections of one sort or another.

It probably makes some sense in analyzing one's driving to separate spins from a save that involves droving off the track in a controlled manner. Both are good to avoid, but they are certainly different.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:25 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hmmm...I thought the numbers would be higher.

I spun on LR twice, Watkins Glen once (instructor wanted me to go faster), Pocono once, Mid-Ohio once, Portland almost, VIR full course twice (nascar practicing trailbraking and rollercoaster carrying too much speed into the righthander), VIR south course twice (both times turn 2 on a wet track), VIR North course once at the uphill. So that's 10 (that I remember).

I caused damage only once - in my FF on VIR South when wet track + wet grass took me into the tires off turn two. I broke the left rear upright.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Barfly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had an off during my SRF race at Sebring last month. Too early and too much throttle at turn 5 on the last lap (at 5:40).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XP2bM7h4zI

Old 02-03-2008, 03:01 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pyruvate
Had an off during my SRF race at Sebring last month. Too early and too much throttle at turn 5 on the last lap (at 5:40).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XP2bM7h4zI

Old 02-03-2008, 03:08 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mark, to me, it doesn't matter whether it is a DE or a race: unless you have the track to yourself, it is foolish at best to think that, if you don't spin/go off, you just need to go faster. And it is retarded to advocate that others follow this behavior. Would you not agree?
No, I would most certainly not agree. There is no behavior where I would resort to calling someone else "retarded" - perhaps foolish or other things, but not that very offensive name. As long as you insist on using that term, given that most of us know that someone on this board has a close relative who has mental challenges and is highly offended by that term, I am not going to discuss this further.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:47 PM
Barfly
Racer

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
That wasn't an off. That was just using the natural rumble strips as well...
True.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,566 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
No, I would most certainly not agree. There is no behavior where I would resort to calling someone else "retarded" - perhaps foolish or other things, but not that very offensive name. As long as you insist on using that term, given that most of us know that someone on this board has a close relative who has mental challenges and is highly offended by that term, I am not going to discuss this further.
Huh?

Wow, way to dodge the issue by focusing exclusively on semantics.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:36 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think all can see, and should realize, that the use of the term "retarded" was simply a poor choice, particularly if one were inclined to apply it beyond mere flippance. The point is still a good one, if perhaps not well made.

Now back to our regular programming, please?
Old 02-03-2008, 04:39 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JBH
Hmmm...I thought the numbers would be higher.
Hmmm...

Seems you've taken care of that, Jeffrey.
Old 02-03-2008, 04:50 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

As I do not race, my opinion is that any "off" resulting from anything other than mechanical failure or fluids from another car (that can't be avoided) in a DE is a "failure"...not a learning experience. In our club, if you have two in a weekend, you are done. I don't think anyone would argue that point. However, I do use the skid pad to learn the limit of control and car dynamics at the edge of traction..and spins are frequent.

As for racing, I am not qualified to opine.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Huh?

Wow, way to dodge the issue by focusing exclusively on semantics.
I dunno - it looks pretty obvious to me what's going on.

Originally Posted by Mike in Chi
I told you why I closed those threads.

Totally SUBJECTIVE bull****.
See ya!
------------------

and now:

With all due respect, whoever told you that is a retard. And all the folks who say "if you don't spin or go off track, you are not going fast enough" are also retards.
I think that every instructor who tells students this IS a retard.....and many do (I have heard them).
Mark, to me, it doesn't matter whether it is a DE or a race: unless you have the track to yourself, it is foolish at best to think that, if you don't spin/go off, you just need to go faster. And it is retarded to advocate that others follow this behavior. Would you not agree?

Quick Reply: How Many Offs Have You Had?