Sponsored by:

How Many Offs Have You Had?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 11:08 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexander Stemer
No slur intended, but didn't you think that was a little much? I've never been in a race with ABS, so that seems strange to me. I've had it happen once in a car (Lotus super 7 with grabby brakes in cold weather-usually a Super 7 can't lock its rear brakes), but not more than once in a session.
I'm a bit curious about how you were adjusting to that, since it seems that most do quite easily. Has experience with abs caused you to maximally brake, and let the car figure it out vs. react to locking one tire or another? AS

Well, given that my first 20 or so DE days were in a 996 with ABS, a change to a 1970 RSR Replica was fairly dramatic. It was a little much and I called it a day. I did however ultimately master the car.

I expect that if I were to enter a PCA club race in a non ABS car I would be able to adjust fine and results would not differ. No, wait, I am sure I am wrong, my success in club racing has been fully dependent upon my utter dependence on ABS....

OK to directly answer the question how often do I go off? About once every 9 months, or about once every 15 track days.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:16 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

I think guys who go off multiple times in one day, guys who go off on the cool down lap, and guys who repeatedly go off where there is significant danger need some introspection. Otherwise, it's part of the learning process. Disagrement welcomed. AS
During my Rennlist induced introspectve therapy session I have decided to buy a 997 Cup Car. Please join me in GTC4 and impart some wisdom regarding the nuances of fore and aft balance and overall braking technique. Road America 2008 is fine with me.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:17 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
With all due respect, whoever told you that is a retard. And all the folks who say "if you don't spin or go off track, you are not going fast enough" are also retards.

Spinning is also known as losing control of your vehicle. IMO, unless you are on a skid pad, spinning proves that you failed to maintain control of your vehicle. to me, this is anything but a sign of success or accomplishment.
Interesting to hear that from you Dave, as its always been my opinion as well, but from a pretty inexperienced point of view.

Unfortunately at my most recent event, I failed twice, the only two times I've been off track. Both from overcooking a turns by not taking into account track conditions that were placing limitations on the car. I was driving the track like nothing was different from the conditions I was accustomed to. Failure on my part.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:18 PM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

I don't really see how you learn the limits if you never go off.
And a fish does not understand the concept of fire.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:21 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

VB997 Memorial test and tune January 2007 at VIR. Great weather for that particular time of year. Brand new to me track car, 0 hr. rebuild on the motor. First left into the climbing esses fine......first right, I'm going backwards into the infield at approx 100 mph. Head gasket blew spewing coolant on the driver side rear tire.........no warning. No impact, only a trashed motor and a little grass fire in the infield.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:25 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2 straight drive offs and 2 spins. The most dramatic being a spin in T12 at 90mph at TWS. Late turn in, forced the apex, off backwards on the inside. Stopped 20 ft. short of the flag station at T13. Watched the corner worker bail out of the bunker in my rearview as I approached. Amazingly, only a torn CV boot. Lots of dirt and grass to vacuum out later, though. Instructor very not impressed. I still pucker a bit through that turn.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:27 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Originally Posted by mglobe
Interesting to hear that from you Dave, as its always been my opinion as well, but from a pretty inexperienced point of view.

Unfortunately at my most recent event, I failed twice, the only two times I've been off track. Both from overcooking a turns by not taking into account track conditions that were placing limitations on the car. I was driving the track like nothing was different from the conditions I was accustomed to. Failure on my part.
I have video.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:28 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by deep_uv
I have video.
That wasn't an off. I pulled over to have a sandwich while waiting for you to catch up.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:35 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

If you have not been off, you're not trying hard enough.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:12 AM
4 Kurves
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hummmm. I've spun my 996 Cup exactly twice in two seasons of racing - once last Sept at Buttonwillow when I high centered on curbing (ran out of "focus" in the previous corner) and it was costly. Would have been nothing if not for that flagger stand.

Then just last Dec, entering turn 3 at Willow Springs my power steering line came apart right in front of the left rear wheel with predictable results. That one was just a nice little 360 through the rocks, sand and dirt.

Not sure if I subscribe to the "not going fast enough because you haven't spun" point of view.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:22 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Well, I don't know. I've learned alot from my spins. Keep in mind I have not spun in a race but during DE's. In my mind races are not the place to be trying anything new or different. testing or de's ok. I just don't know how you can think your at the car's limits unless you've accidently gone just past them.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:44 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John H
In my mind races are not the place to be trying anything new or different. testing or de's ok.
While I understand the thought behind it, it has been my experience over 20 or so DE events that EVERY outing in the morning driver's meeting we are told that it is not a race, that it is not for driving 10/10. I do not ever expect a driver in a DE to have the level of focus of a racer. Seen way too many weird things happen to push my car to that level at a DE event.

Do I try to go faster? For sure. As I posted above, I have had an off before. But in the groups I run with, given only certain passing zones, it is useless to run full out. The cars are generally of far differing capabilities... and traffic is common. I like my car and until I am competitively racing it, if it comes home damaged in any way, the day was a failure. There's no trophy... no reason to push to that level.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:00 AM
wanna911
Race Car

I've been off about 6 times or so (only two years), mostly because my first DE car was an E39 on very slick 20 inch wheels and tires. I would spin in Turn 5 at Road Atlanta once almost every time I went in that car, and one time at turn 6.

Once I got my TT I spun once in turn 10 after going in too hot gathering up the car, and then getting a buttload of snap oversteer in the opposite direction. This was my first day in the TT. I also rolled off once after my brakes and tires werent warm enough going into turn 1 in a time trial. But the worst in the TT was brake failure at TGP (talladega grand prix) and I went off track, into a ditch and airborn, the car suffer nothing but the plastic panels being damaged on the bottom.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:15 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,566 Likes on 822 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
If you have not been off, you're not trying hard enough.
I could not disagree more.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:16 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Food Angel
Only one...Drove off at Oak Tree.

There was track....and then all of a sudden, there was no more track.

It's called a turn, Katie. See Avatar.

Quick Reply: How Many Offs Have You Had?