About to Buy Track Insurance: Have Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 11:51 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Default About to Buy Track Insurance: Have Questions

Folks,

I am about to sign up for a 1 yr DE on track policy. The premium is around $1100, with a $2500 deductible. (I have a MY 00 C2)

Does this sound about right? Any specific provisions I should be aware of? The policy seems pretty up and up, and is apparently underwritten by an English company (I like how the spell "tyres" ).

Thanks in advance,

-tom
Old 01-29-2008, 11:56 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

What company? What is their rating?
Old 01-30-2008, 12:26 AM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Must be WSIB.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:37 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Sounds right. IIRC, when I insured my GT3, the policy was 3% and then a ded.

So for a C2 that is probably worth in the ballpark of 30-35K, then 1K would be about right with premium and fees.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:25 AM
TR6
Drifting

WSIB quoted me 3% on the insured amount plus taxes with a $2500 deductible. That is limited to 10 "events" per year. You can choose more events, but the rate goes up. An event is defined as a DE weekend. I thought it sounded reasonable. However, a word of warning based on what I was told: If your car has performance mods, the premium will be higher. However, safety mods don't increase premium rate. All in all, it sounded like a pretty fair deal.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:19 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TR6
WSIB quoted me 3% on the insured amount plus taxes with a $2500 deductible. That is limited to 10 "events" per year. You can choose more events, but the rate goes up. An event is defined as a DE weekend. I thought it sounded reasonable. However, a word of warning based on what I was told: If your car has performance mods, the premium will be higher. However, safety mods don't increase premium rate. All in all, it sounded like a pretty fair deal.
It is WSIB.

Greg, did you get the DE insurance from them? Are you going to ECR in March? Will your car be done or are you still in your wife's "Shoe"?

Originally Posted by LVDell
Sounds right. IIRC, when I insured my GT3, the policy was 3% and then a ded.

So for a C2 that is probably worth in the ballpark of 30-35K, then 1K would be about right with premium and fees.
Thanks, Dell. Is your policy from Chris being "taken over" from WSIB in the September?

-tom
Old 01-30-2008, 01:26 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

No sure Tom. I will have to re-assess when the time approaches and determine if I will stay that course. The current one sold to me from Chris was actually a WSIB policy. Not sure if he was just a broker for them or what but when he closed up (the week my check was cashed) I talked to WSIB and they informed me that they are in charge of it.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:32 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by td873
Greg, did you get the DE insurance from them? Are you going to ECR in March? Will your car be done or are you still in your wife's "Shoe"?
No, I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Still trying to weigh the pros and cons of spending what will end up being about $1300/yr (including taxes) against the chances that I'll wad up the car badly. I say that because if it were say $5K or less damage, I probably wouldn't file it unless I was fairly sure it wouldn't hurt my ability to get coverage going forward. But lets face it, a hard hit into a wall tail first could total the car...

I did get the RSA back and its running great, so yes, I'll be at ECR in March in it. Look forward to seeing you! I'll also be at TWS Feb 9. Are you going to that one?
Old 01-30-2008, 02:16 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

The limit on number of events sounds like a new change to the WSIB program. Can someone send me a copy? PM me for an address.

Snelling-Walters is still planning on writing a policy this season. I'll be eager to see if there is a limit on number of events for that form. My current policy with them expires in May.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:48 PM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I am also interested in having insurance in place before the Zone 2 event and am interested in contact information.
Old 01-31-2008, 06:34 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan Herod
I am also interested in having insurance in place before the Zone 2 event and am interested in contact information.
I pulled the trigger today and sent in the premium for 1 yr coverage. I should have a bind confirmation tomorrow.

For those that are interested, here are 2 links: the first is their home page, the second is their contact page.
http://www.wsibinsurance.com/
http://www.wsibinsurance.com/contactus.html

These folks are easy to deal with and very quick with responses. I can't speak to claims, but their up front service is really good.

As for the coverage, it's pretty basic on-track DE coverage with a $2,500 deductible. Which is exactly what I needed/wanted. There is no PST or injury or death benefit. It just covers your car if you ball it up on the track during a DE. They do offer those (and other) coverages, but I did not inquire into them.

Well, although I don't need justification, at least I know I'll sleep better and participate in DEs with the pucker dial turned down one notch.

-tom
Old 01-31-2008, 06:38 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Tom, I read here that WSIB has a limit on the number of track days. Is that the case?
Old 01-31-2008, 06:48 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
Tom, I read here that WSIB has a limit on the number of track days. Is that the case?
10 is included. You can "buy" extra, and I don't think it's that expensive. I can give them a buzz to confirm them if you want.

-td
Old 01-31-2008, 06:52 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

I'd be curious. Is that 10 days or 10 events (up to 30 days)?
Old 01-31-2008, 07:35 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
I'd be curious. Is that 10 days or 10 events (up to 30 days)?
Sorry for the confusion re: days and events.

The actual application asks for the number of events per year. And I understand the policy to cover 10 events and not 10 days based on my communication with WSIB.

If you are inquisitive, the folks at WSIB are very easy to talk to. You should shoot them a quick email with all your questions. Each time I had questions I got my answers the same day.

-tom

Quick Reply: About to Buy Track Insurance: Have Questions