Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to Buy Track Insurance: Have Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 12:12 AM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

She told me that it was 10 events. An event is defined as a continuous weekend whether it is 2 days or 3 days.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:14 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Does anyone know the rating of this company? What is there history?
Old 02-01-2008, 08:40 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

How do they track the number of events?
Old 02-01-2008, 11:09 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
How do they track the number of events?
The most likely call the different event registers if you have an incident. Also, PCA (and I'm sure others) publish the roster online. It's not like they have a GPS locator in your car and track you...

But if you have an incident at the 11th event and you are only covered for 10 there might be hell to pay. So if you think you'll hit up to 15, you should mention it up front. I don't need to refer back to the "how to lower your insurance rate thread" eh, lol.

-td
Old 02-01-2008, 11:16 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

I ask about counting events because I did not see any mention of a 10 event limit in their application or in the form of policy I read a few months ago. Laurel DE, last I looked, required the driver to call in advance of every DE. If the driver did not call there was no coverage. If the driver called more times than he had paid for there was no coverage. It seemed cumbersome, but effective. WSIB is not doing something similar?

Between the PCA, BMW and non-marque groups I drive with it would be a big challenge for anyone to track down what events I do each year. If I don't write it down contemporaneously I cannot remember.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:28 PM
TR6
Drifting

Just to add some more mud to the picture, when I asked her about private member days at the track, she asked me a bunch of questions about what a private track day is. When I assured her it was run like a DE (non timed, non competitive, must be checked by an instructor before running solo on that track, controlled passing, etc) she said it would be considered an event just like a DE. However, if the private track day is not run under the controlled circumstances that I described, it is not covered under a de policy. Again, not sure how they would keep track of that sort of thing. And I'm sure it would only come into question if you filed a claim from such an event. I imagine at that point they would make some calls to the organizing body/track and do some research before paying.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:10 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

I ask about counting events because I did not see any mention of a 10 event limit in their application or in the form of policy I read a few months ago. Laurel DE, last I looked, required the driver to call in advance of every DE. If the driver did not call there was no coverage. If the driver called more times than he had paid for there was no coverage. It seemed cumbersome, but effective. WSIB is not doing something similar?

Between the PCA, BMW and non-marque groups I drive with it would be a big challenge for anyone to track down what events I do each year. If I don't write it down contemporaneously I cannot remember.
You will not be able to run with non-marque groups. You must indicate which groups you run with, and only events run by groups WSIB approves are allowed. For example, PCA, BMW and Ferrari DE's are covered, but not every group that provides for track time is. Basically this means you can run as many as you want, but only the approved organizations will count toward your 10 events, and only incidents for those 10 events are covered.

Further, I don't think it would be considered a big challenge to determine the number of events a policy holder attended. If an insurance company is going to pay 5 figure amounts, they'll figure out how many events you went to. If there is ANY doubt, they will shift the burden, deny the claim and make you prove it. Besides, 10 events could never happen earlier than 3 months. And most likely it will be 5-6 months before anyone will be close to 10 events. So the insurance company will only have to start "asking questions" if you file a claim 7 months out...

Also, as I understand it, Laurel does not cover daily driving cars at all - and IIRC Laurel only covers "vintage" vehicles. I think that I looked and I couldn't get coverage for a MY 2000. But all of this was some time ago, so my memory could be all befuddled on this...

[edit] I just tried to look up the Laurel policy, and the old LaurelDE website is gone. As is the american collector car website. Anyone know what Laurel's new website is?

-td

Last edited by himself; 02-01-2008 at 01:27 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

TD, do you have a copy of the WSIB policy? The one I read in early Janauary did not have a 10 event limit and did not limit the identity of the DE sponsors. Where are you getting this new information? The application now on the WSIB web site has check boxes for PCA, BMW, and other marque groups, but also has an Other box to check.

Laurel DE is not really insurance, although some Rennlisters have posted that they have made claims that were paid. There is no identifiable licensed insurance company behind Laurel.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:04 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
TD, do you have a copy of the WSIB policy? The one I read in early Janauary did not have a 10 event limit and did not limit the identity of the DE sponsors. Where are you getting this new information? The application now on the WSIB web site has check boxes for PCA, BMW, and other marque groups, but also has an Other box to check.
I don't consider this "new" information. It is simply the terms of the WSIB policy, but perhaps you didn't have all the pertinent information when you inquired. In fact, WSIB has a FAQ regarding their policy, which has this information in it. Unfortunately, I don't have the faq here with me. In particular, the FAQ states that it can take up to 3-4 weeks for them to review and approve new organizations and that you only get 10 events a year. I asked to have another group certified, and they did so. So I know this isn't some random provision.

As I mentioned, you should contact them directly if you have additional questions. They can probably answer all these questions quicker and more thoroughly than I can.

WSIB Motorsports Insurance
950 W. Monroe Suite G200
Jackson, MI 49202
PH (866) 904-9742 x2510
Fax (866) 974-2329

-tom
Old 02-01-2008, 04:18 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by td873
...you should contact them directly if you have additional questions. They can probably answer all these questions quicker and more thoroughly than I can.
+1. The process is that they won't give you an actual quote until you submit an application. Once they have that, they'll have a discussion with you over the phone to go over details, ask more questions, and explain a lot of this stuff.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:48 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TR6
+1. The process is that they won't give you an actual quote until you submit an application. Once they have that, they'll have a discussion with you over the phone to go over details, ask more questions, and explain a lot of this stuff.
It's a done deal. I am bound (DE insurance that is ).

Greg,

I am planning on going to ECR next month. But my real motivation for the WSIB policy is the Driver's Edge event this weekend at MSR. My car is already at PST getting a Cobra seat and harnesses. (My wife is already hating driving me to and from the track). Also, this will be my first DE to run my RA-1s, so I'm pretty excited to have a proper setup (seat, harness, R-comps, etc). Gonna be a blast!

-td
Old 02-03-2008, 12:03 AM
greg911
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This insurance policy sounds just like the one I am getting in NJ. It covers 10 events also, but only covers PCA, NASA/PDA, Ferrari & BMW. They will not issue to Viper and Vett owners as they have very high incident rates!

Quick Reply: About to Buy Track Insurance: Have Questions