Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone here used the Toyo R888's yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 07:58 PM
TraqGear
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
Did you run at Roebling, what kind of times did you do there?
RRR I'm at 1:20-21 usually. A couple of guys timed me but they were no better with the R888's. I've got a lot of work to do to get to the car's full capabilities.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:56 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BluemaxxRacing
I run low 2:26s on Hoosiers with my nearly stock 996. Now that I have taken 200 lbs out of it and will be putting in a full cage and trying the R888s, I wonder what my new times will be?
I'm interested to find out as well. I did 2.26 on Kumho 710s and will try R888s as well although I'm still on the fence of trying the Hoosier R6s.

Erik or someone else, have you compared R888s & R6s? If yes, what do you think?
Old 01-27-2008, 09:10 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Erik
Mike there are a couple of guys running 2:30's in Supersolo, but I think at least one of them is running on Hoosier slicks, the other guy is running RA1's and his new personal record last week was a 2:30. I'm running mostly 26's and 27's, with a new personal record of 2:24.3 on R888's. Manny Kruger was running 22's on Michelin Slicks during his fastest laps which is rediculous on a stock car.
Thanks for the reply! I will keep working at it. I have to run a Tiptronic car and I wonder if that is holding me back at all??? I need some work on some corners and know there is more but I am careful at certain corners because I have to drive my car home.

So with a stock 2007 997S Tiptronic 5 speed, stock except for Perf Friction PF97 pads and RA1's that have 2 days @ full tread where do you all think I should be running at Sebring?

take care, Mike
Old 01-27-2008, 09:19 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Mike,

I'd think tiptronic holds you back a little although on some of the reviews they've had equal times. I personally have no track experience on tiptronic on a track.

If you're quick, with your car you should be doing 2.30, Sebring is a power track and your car has pretty good power.

The thing is when you think that "you have to drive your car home" (which is the correct way of thinking for DE!!!), it makes you slower.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:02 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Mike,

I'd think tiptronic holds you back a little although on some of the reviews they've had equal times. I personally have no track experience on tiptronic on a track.

If you're quick, with your car you should be doing 2.30, Sebring is a power track and your car has pretty good power.

The thing is when you think that "you have to drive your car home" (which is the correct way of thinking for DE!!!), it makes you slower.
I have to slow down more than I'd like on turn 3 and 10 so I can get the Tip to let me shift down into 2nd gear. The Tip even though it would not be over reving will not let me manually shift down at certain rpm's/speeds.

I know I could cary more speed through a lot of turns but I would rather progress slowly than tempt myself into find the limit of adhesion go off the track 2 times in an event and be sent home. I've been in front or behind too many cars that have spun and hit the wall in turn 1, 14 and 16. For example turn 14 Bishops Bend i know the car could exit turn 13 and keep full throttle all the way through Bishops but I let up/ slightly maintain throttle almost full throttle right before Bishops and throttle through it. I am going around 105mph at the end of Bishops before braking for 15. Also turn 17 being so bumpy and the car hopping around on those bumps and the wall is right there on the exit of 17 I am pretty safe through there not slow but not as fast as I could be. I am hitting around 92mph when i go under the bridge.

I have been solo since last summer. I try to get guys who I know are good to ride with me and listen to there info. TKerrMd from this forum rides me with me and always give me good tips.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:05 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Thanks for the reply! I will keep working at it. I have to run a Tiptronic car and I wonder if that is holding me back at all??? I need some work on some corners and know there is more but I am careful at certain corners because I have to drive my car home.

So with a stock 2007 997S Tiptronic 5 speed, stock except for Perf Friction PF97 pads and RA1's that have 2 days @ full tread where do you all think I should be running at Sebring?

take care, Mike
Mike you are certainly capable of running in the low 2:30's
Old 01-27-2008, 11:27 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Erik
I think Ernie Bello can get them for you, and of course Bob Woodman (had him bring a set to Daytona, but never needed them so he shipped them to Ernie for me)

Just used my second set last weekend with PBOC Winterfest. Drove 150 miles street, then onto the track. They are squirmy the first day, but on the second day I broke my all time record at Sebring that I sent a couple of years ago in my 996GT3 on brand spanking new Hoohoos.
Erik, do you have the tires heat cycled before you get them??
Old 01-27-2008, 11:52 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by tkerrmd
Mike you are certainly capable of running in the low 2:30's
that is my goal this year or even better if I am capable. I am almost there...with some more tips and coaching
Old 01-28-2008, 10:21 AM
Erik
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom: No heat cycling or even shaving here. I would like to try shaved, but read somewhere that shaving was not recommended. Not sure of the source, and those people may be the same people that don't like R888's in the first place.

Petu, I still think that the R6 Hoohoos are faster, probably by 1-2 seconds at Sebring, but they just suck to drive to the track. All of us "non trailer" guys have had trips to and from Sebring in the summer that were scarier then anything we've done on the track, but the Hoohoos take it to another level (think Finland on the lake without snow :-) ). They also don't wear as well, and are probably done in 1/2 the time. In my 996GT3 I did set my 2;24something on R6's a few years ago. So if you trailer then the R6's are faster but wear out, the R888 wear longer and are almost as fast, and are great driving home in the rain. Of course if you trailer, you may as well run the Hoosier Grand Am slicks which are about as fast or a little faster then the R6's, (much slower then Michelin Slicks) and seem to wear like steel.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

I have to slow down more than I'd like on turn 3 and 10 so I can get the Tip to let me shift down into 2nd gear. The Tip even though it would not be over reving will not let me manually shift down at certain rpm's/speeds.

I know I could cary more speed through a lot of turns but I would rather progress slowly than tempt myself into find the limit of adhesion go off the track 2 times in an event and be sent home. I've been in front or behind too many cars that have spun and hit the wall in turn 1, 14 and 16. For example turn 14 Bishops Bend i know the car could exit turn 13 and keep full throttle all the way through Bishops but I let up/ slightly maintain throttle almost full throttle right before Bishops and throttle through it. I am going around 105mph at the end of Bishops before braking for 15. Also turn 17 being so bumpy and the car hopping around on those bumps and the wall is right there on the exit of 17 I am pretty safe through there not slow but not as fast as I could be. I am hitting around 92mph when i go under the bridge.

I have been solo since last summer. I try to get guys who I know are good to ride with me and listen to there info. TKerrMd from this forum rides me with me and always give me good tips.
For those turns where you have to slow down too much, try to go faster so that the car doesn't "drag it's ***" with topo high gear. First I'm sure it feels like you're slower because of the lack of acceleration but in the end you'll be faster.

My car's gearing (stock 993 US gearbox which sucks) doesn't suit Sebring well, there's couple of turns where 2nd is too short and 3rd too long. It feels I'd be better of changing to 2nd since then acceleration out of the turn is much better but if I stay in 3rd (which I usually do), acceleration is sluggish but I compensate it by turning in faster. Plus there one less gearshift which takes time also.

IMO the biggest difference between fast guys & not so fast is during the turn in and mid turn.
Going into the corner real fast is scary, accelerating hard out of one isn't.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:29 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Erik,

R888s it'll be then, or if I trailer, maybe those Grand Am Hoosiers (where can I get them?!).

I've done those pouring rain drives on 27 to Sebring... With MPSCs and then even worse, on Kumhos. Driving 30 mph and using pretty much two lanes sliding 95% of the time... Not fun and takes hell of a long time to get there!
Old 01-29-2008, 12:14 AM
mdrums
Race Director

For those turns where you have to slow down too much, try to go faster so that the car doesn't "drag it's ***" with topo high gear. First I'm sure it feels like you're slower because of the lack of acceleration but in the end you'll be faster.

My car's gearing (stock 993 US gearbox which sucks) doesn't suit Sebring well, there's couple of turns where 2nd is too short and 3rd too long. It feels I'd be better of changing to 2nd since then acceleration out of the turn is much better but if I stay in 3rd (which I usually do), acceleration is sluggish but I compensate it by turning in faster. Plus there one less gearshift which takes time also.

IMO the biggest difference between fast guys & not so fast is during the turn in and mid turn.
Going into the corner real fast is scary, accelerating hard out of one isn't.
Hi Finn, yep on "those slower turns" I do need to go faster. Now I am not going real slow and not many people pass me. GT3's , 996/997 Turbos and Z06 Vette's, preped race cars pass me but I am staying with or passing similar cars to mine and even pass some Turbo's where the driver is not really running the car. Just didn't want you to think I'm like one leg disabled gram-pa out there....d\I do have some skills but still learning a lot about my car and myself and having a blast at it. I just need to progress and build my confidence in certain turns...just trying to keep it out of the wall!

I will be on business down in Miami/Lauderdale Feb 12-15. If you want to meet for dinner let me know. IT would be cool to talk about DE's and F1.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:14 AM
boqueron
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just come from the track after trying my 2nd sets of Toyos R888's. I have been 2 seconds slower - in a twisty 1'50" track - than with Michelin Slicks S8's. I had a good day: the difference could be from 2 to 3 seconds .
Again, very good tyres at a very good price....
Obviously , when shaving the last seconds is the goal, I prefer S8's.. But with my R888's I can reach "my" track driving my GT3....
Old 01-29-2008, 02:01 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Hi Finn, yep on "those slower turns" I do need to go faster. Now I am not going real slow and not many people pass me. GT3's , 996/997 Turbos and Z06 Vette's, preped race cars pass me but I am staying with or passing similar cars to mine and even pass some Turbo's where the driver is not really running the car. Just didn't want you to think I'm like one leg disabled gram-pa out there....d\I do have some skills but still learning a lot about my car and myself and having a blast at it. I just need to progress and build my confidence in certain turns...just trying to keep it out of the wall!

I will be on business down in Miami/Lauderdale Feb 12-15. If you want to meet for dinner let me know. IT would be cool to talk about DE's and F1.
Not saying you're slow, definately not that you're one legged grandma!

Just that some times going faster feels slow.

Hey, dinner would be fine, but how's lunch? It would fit my schedule better.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:27 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Not saying you're slow, definately not that you're one legged grandma!

Just that some times going faster feels slow.

Hey, dinner would be fine, but how's lunch? It would fit my schedule better.
Lunch is cool too. I will be all over Lauderdale, Hallandale, Miami Lakes, Kendall, Dolphin Mall area. When I get my appointment schedule worked out I will let you know and we can figure out a place to meet at for lunch.

see ya! Mike

Quick Reply: Has anyone here used the Toyo R888's yet?