Sponsored by:

Nomex thread to sew on patches?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 01:59 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Nomex thread to sew on patches?

Sparco cautions that any patch I sew onto my driving suit should be sewn just to the outer layer of the suit using fire resistant (Nomex) thread.

Have you found Nomex thread for this purpose? Does anyone you know of use Nomex thread, or do they just use cotton? I need to get the SCCA Club Racing patch on my suit.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:00 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

www.pegasusautoracing.com

they have it. it's what I used. 4 bucks I think.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:01 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

Try calling Victor as VAS safety equiptment in Huntington Station, NY. He tailors custom suits so he's got to have the necessary resourses.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:06 PM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

Joe, thank you! This looks perfect.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:27 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sparco cautions that any patch I sew onto my driving suit should be sewn just to the outer layer of the suit using fire resistant (Nomex) thread.
On the suits that the pro's wear - do they actually do this? Or do they just go through both layers? With as many patches and all that embroidery, it seems to me that most of them (for expedience's sake) just go through all the layers of the suit?

Anyone have a "game worn" suit for reference?

Always wondered about this question...
Old 11-05-2007, 02:37 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Most pro suits' major graphics, like sponsors or team name, are embroidered with nomex thread only on the suit's outer layers. If they have a sanctioning body patch or some such they're sewn through all of the layers. Years ago at the 24 Hours of Daytona they had a garage stall set-up with about 4 or five seamstresses until the day of the race to sew on all of the last-minute sponsor or sanctioning body patches you needed on your suit. It was pretty funny to see all of these expensive driver's suits (mine included) just piled in a heap on the floor as they finished them. You had to go through the pile and find your suit. Should've just taken off with AJ's or Mario's as a souvie! Of course AJ would've personally hunted me down and broken both kneecaps, Mario would've sent someone to do it ;-)
Old 11-05-2007, 02:39 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did they stop and think about the fact that the patch itself is not made from a fire resistant materal and many are made from plastic and plastic threads such as rayon? Many of the ones I have stock piled over the years are heat glue backed.

Edit) interesting post srf. direct stiching with fire resistant thread is smart. I can understand the need for sponsor and race body patches. You would think that the patch makers could make them fire resistant too.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:43 PM
Matt Marks
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

At the NASA championships, one of the wives was sewing patches for $5 each - with Nomex thread. Had a nice little cottage industry going. And all the finished suits were folded
Old 11-05-2007, 02:43 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
Did they stop and think about the fact that the patch itself is not made from a fire resistant materal and many are made from plastic and plastic threads such as rayon? Many of the ones I have stock piled over the years are heat glue backed.
Exactally what I was thinking...

I use cotton thread, so it will burn off, and the patches will not melt... to my chest.

most have a plastic/rubber backing... I wonder if you hit one with a blow torch what would be left...
Old 11-05-2007, 02:45 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

OGRacing a site sponsor sells the thread...
Old 11-06-2007, 02:30 AM
Swedeboy
Pro

Be aware that the current FIA regulations are that Nomex thread must be used for sewing on patches or embroideries through the outer layer of the suit only. This should be done by taking apart the structural threads of the suit, applying the patch or embroidery and then reassembling the suit - which typically invalidates your warranty on the suit if done yourself. The patch or embroidery must be Nomex thread on Nomex backing material. Anything else invalidates the FIA approval of the suit. Scrutineering may not pick up on it however it is a risk you run.

Not 100% about SFI regulations however pretty sure it's the same.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:10 AM
John Veninger
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

I use cotton thread, so it will burn off, and the patches will not melt... to my chest.
+1

Quick Reply: Nomex thread to sew on patches?