11.49%
21.84%
33.33%
14.94%
1.15%
10 -Best
2.30%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

How would you rate your driving skill level.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 07:36 AM
jester911
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alexander, as a guy that has played competitive tennis for 20+ years I relate to your analogy.
The amazing thing about levels in tennis is that on paper there is not that much difference in a 5.5 and a 6.0 player. On the court the difference is very pronounced and getting to that next level is the biggest jump.

Droving for me is much like that. Although a drover may only be a second or two slower than the pro, that is the biggest leap. I gave myself a 4 but realizing how much there is left to learn there seems to be a lot more than 6 levels above me.
I am still a student of the game of tennis after all these years and so is true for droving all though I may never equal the seat time vs court time.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:51 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
$1 says this thread turns into a humble contest.

The set-up guarantees it!
Old 11-05-2007, 07:57 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I took a somewhat more pragmatic approach..

1 - soccer mom, clueless street driver
2 - green student
3 - blue student
4 - white student
5 - black student
6- red / instructor
7 - club racer, level 1
8 - club racer, level 2, level 1 pro
9 - pro raer, level 2
10 - top tier level pro (insert series here)

I gave myself a 6 but as others have said if VR and others consider themselves in that catagory I have no business there.

If you were to put one of each of these people in an identically preparrred car on the same track I think the time differences would be more pronounced at the lower levels than at the upper ones...
Old 11-05-2007, 08:56 AM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Without a defined meaning for each of the numbers the comparison is somewhat meaningless. the voters opinion on what the number means will have more of an effect on their vote that the voters opinion on their driving skills.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:14 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by cooleyjb
Without a defined meaning for each of the numbers the comparison is somewhat meaningless. the voters opinion on what the number means will have more of an effect on their vote that the voters opinion on their driving skills.
Exactly!
Old 11-05-2007, 09:19 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 869 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
What defines a true pro is in racing situations, again, I feel, where one is forced to apply racecraft in experimenting with alternate lines to find grip, defensive / offensive driving, etc. Also, one who can give accurate and consistent feedback in efforts to change a cars setup to optimize it for that day, at that track. I would think it quickly becomes a race of minds, not so much machines.
Excellent, and true, point.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:29 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
...F1 skills are applicable to F1 only, IMO...
I kinda agree that driving F1 must be different than driving a saloon or something but in general I think fast driver is fast in pretty much everything.

Did you see when Mika Hakkinen drove 964 supercup for the first time in his life?
Old 11-05-2007, 09:57 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The last second is far harder than the first 10. Getting faster is a Log scale for sure.

Dropped in for a 6 before reading any of the thread. I think it hard to judge your own skills. I would put myself in Eddie's instructor line so 6 it is per his listing. Unless I drop being a father and regular working stiff I will not improve much more. Talent has run low and the rest is hard work and solid seat time for me and seat time is getting harder to come by. I should have started club racing at least 2 years ago per the standard saws of driving without thinking about it and having some heads up awarness. Time and $. DE other than the instructing part is getting a little boring for me. A poor choice of car is part of it. I have a hard time getting up into or past the comfort zone unless I have a rabbit to chanse or am the rabbit and am getting chased.

Using the log factor and F1 at one end and mom driving the dented mini van at the other I would be a 4 best and likely have run out of talent at this point.

The more I know the more I know I don't know.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:04 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I put myself at a 7. I know that I am pretty quick, and very consistent, with excellent car control and good feel. At 53 though, I also know that I probably do not have that blazing series of hot laps in me anymore, and I feel that I do leave just the slightest bit in hand, which would separate me from the pro who races every week, and is used to being right on the very edge all of the time. I would put them at an 8, with the upper level pros at a 9, and the very best at a 10.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:05 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Guys,
You are making this way too complicated. There is no absolute scale nor explanation of what each level should be. It is very simple - rate yourself considering the full range of drivers out there. Use your own judgment about how you stack up in terms of driving skills vs. what you think is possible and what exists out there.
Old 11-05-2007, 10:06 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by kurt M
The last second is far harder than the first 10. Getting faster is a Log scale for sure.

Dropped in for a 6 before reading any of the thread. I think it hard to judge your own skills. I would put myself in Eddie's instructor line so 6 it is per his listing. Unless I drop being a father and regular working stiff I will not improve much more. Talent has run low and the rest is hard work and solid seat time for me and seat time is getting harder to come by. I should have started club racing at least 2 years ago per the standard saws of driving without thinking about it and having some heads up awarness. Time and $. DE other than the instructing part is getting a little boring for me. A poor choice of car is part of it. I have a hard time getting up into or past the comfort zone unless I have a rabbit to chanse or am the rabbit and am getting chased.

Using the log factor and F1 at one end and mom driving the dented mini van at the other I would be a 4 best and likely have run out of talent at this point.

The more I know the more I know I don't know.

run rabbit run!
Old 11-05-2007, 10:54 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TD in DC
run rabbit run!
G Dm't, Why did you sell the '44? now I got no one to even remotey play with at all. They ether suck with what they brung or brung more than what I gots. But we digress....
Old 11-05-2007, 11:09 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
I am faster than many, slower than many. All that really counts is whether I am faster than the other guy on a particular day . . .

So I abstain from voting . . .
Yeah,
Even racing in a spec class makes this tough. When I first started in the class I was a 10 (in my class). Now 5 years later I am maybe a 8 in my class of 944 drivers. However how do these guys rank in a field of real racers. Makes me think I probably suck alot more than I imagine.

However one drive on freeways around here makes me think I am a 15.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:44 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,491 Likes on 2,079 Posts

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
Guys,
You are making this way too complicated. There is no absolute scale nor explanation of what each level should be. It is very simple - rate yourself considering the full range of drivers out there. Use your own judgment about how you stack up in terms of driving skills vs. what you think is possible and what exists out there.
Where is LV Dell with his statistics when you need him? Once again Mark, if we're to take the entire general population of drivers on the road, then I'd say all that have responded on this thread with the exception of A. Wayne (I couldn't resist, you know), then we're all 9.9 as I truly believe we're better than 99% of the driver's on the road.

However, the question is vague in that it doesn't say track driving. I believe we're all answering about our track driving ability, not road driving ability. If we're to take track driving ability, the soccer moms are at 0 with F1 drivers at 10 and we're probably at a 1 or 2 because if we're better than 99% of the drivers on the street today, then that leaves 1% and we're all in that pool. However, when we separate that 1%, I'd say that we're on the shallow end of that pool. Does that make any sense?
Old 11-05-2007, 11:45 AM
seege
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm all for humility..so I gave myself a 9 because I haven't won enough races to be a 10 yet. The 10's are top data and set-up people as well.Oh wait, those are 9's.The 10's are top drive, data, set-up and drive for top teams.No that's not quite right either,the 10's are consistent winners. Ok..I'm an 8.

Quick Reply: How would you rate your driving skill level.