Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WHERE HAVE ALL THE TROPHIES GONE?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 01:32 PM
analogmike
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 43 Posts

SCCA does recognize PCA licenses and will allow you to get an SCCA license with one. But you can't race without the SCCA license.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:36 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 833 Likes on 418 Posts

The trophies at Sebring, Lime Rock and Watkins Glen are all very good. As are the Workers choice awards given by national. I actually didn't mind the hat from Daytona, but it's kinda crappy to only give them to first place. I would like to see regions give out something decent, but the only way for us to encourage that is to speak with our $s (i.e. don't show up at races where trophy suck).
Old 10-23-2007, 03:05 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At Daytona if you won the two sprint races and the enduro you ended up with three identical hats. Is that why some are considered 'three-headed monsters'.

I agree that wining and recieving a nice trophy is great...the first couple of times, but some(not me) would have a room full of trophy's and the enjoyment would certainly wear out. That's where a year end 'Series' trophy would mean more and PCA doesn't offer that.

I decided to run a 944 Spec car this year specifically so that I could travel less and race in both PCA and NASA. Read that as spending less on transportation and doing more races. I use the PCA races to set up my car and improve my driving and yes to have fun with my long time PCA friends. The real goal however is to compete for a National Championship with NASA at Mid-Ohio. Now that would a very valuable trophy and give the winner great satisfaction. So I plan on doing the same program next year and hope to get faster.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:16 PM
Bull993tt
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

I have to agee w/ John H. I first started racing w/ PCA in GT3s and started racing w/ NASA in the Mid Atlantic Region this year in GTS4 (like you John, my car is very similar to yours). I raced w/ NASA Mid Atlantic the last 6 races of the year and had a blast (in addition to Sebring, Road Atlanta, Mid Ohio, Watkins Glen, and Summit Point w/ PCA). Here is the way I see it, and this is no disrespect for PCA as I am a proud member and will continue to race w/ them... (1) You get almost the same amount of track time at half the price of PCA w/ competitive classing. Horsepower to weight is as honest as it gets (I know there are exceptions). (2) It is fun to race against BMW's and Audi's (and some of these guys are really fast). (3) They do give trophies / awards for the Saturday Sprint races. (4) Generally, these guys and girls are very laid back which presents a less tense environment who like to hang out and help each other (this is not to say PCA'ers aren't like this because a lot of them are). (5) There are multiple races at tracks that overall are closer in distance to home which also makes it cheaper and less time intrusive. Just some thoughts I wanted to share... Lastly, John H I will look forward to meeting you at NASA Nationals next year. I won all my races in Mid Atlantic w/ the excetion of 1 and had enough points to qualify, but could not make my previous commitments agree w/ the scheduling of the race. I saw some of your in-car video from the race at Mid Ohio... Great job!
Old 10-23-2007, 07:57 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

Derek

Hey! thanks for the compliment. I look forward to next year. Hopefully we can race with NASA before the nationals. I am thinking I may do Road Atlanta and I'd love to do VIR. I think GTS4 will be super competitive with you, Joe Mag, Chris Streit, Jamie Frauenberg and others next year. I am really looking forward to it.

Speaking of the camaraderie, at the Nationals, Streit helped me with a throttle linkage problem and Frauenberg helped me by loaning me some weight. Without the help of either, I would not have made the final race.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:12 PM
TREMPER
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess it is time I jump in ,for I have been heavily involved with the Glen Race since Zone 1 has been the organizer..First of all the profit issue. I wanted to run a race without the dependecy of Sponsorship...If we got some extra monies, we would increase the "goodies" to the entrants.The cost of the event or the cost of the entrant giveaways at the Glen are as follows:
Trophy Dinner $40
"Blue" Shirts $25
Trophy medals $12
Entrant mugs $20
Program $8
So for every $400 entrant fee, we return almost $100 in "stuff"....
I was never told by a Club Race Official not to give awards to the Class winners. I was informed that it is up to each region to decide what was appropiate. National Club Race Committee does not get involed with the local race financial sheet.
With that said , I like the "blue" shirts for winter use and since I was volunteering my time for the event..I get to choose what I want. Next year we will eliminate the mugs and "blue" shirts for the "Mosport" pullover which is about $37/ea. We will continue to give out trophies for both Sprint races at the Saturday evening get together. Putting on one of these affairs requires a lot of man/woman hours for you are dealing with 300 "A" type personalities..well 298..Manny & I are there. I used to thank Alan Friedman for starting the CR program for he took all of the A-holes out of DE and put them in one place...now I am one of the A-holes.
My 2 cents...
Pete
Old 10-24-2007, 02:07 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TREMPER
Putting on one of these affairs requires a lot of man/woman hours for you are dealing with 300 "A" type personalities..well 298..Manny & I are there. I used to thank Alan Friedman for starting the CR program for he took all of the A-holes out of DE and put them in one place...now I am one of the A-holes.
My 2 cents...
Pete

Thanks from a fellow A-hole to all of the volunteers who make the CR program possible.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:03 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Great stuff, Pete. I'll do the WG race for the pullover alone. I can never have enough pullovers.

BTW, time to update your avatar with your new car.
Old 10-24-2007, 04:52 PM
Bull993tt
Rennlist Member

Mark, I think Pete likes his old school avatar. Personally, I think having Homer as Pete's avatar would be most suitable???
Old 10-24-2007, 09:49 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 833 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by TREMPER
I used to thank Alan Friedman for starting the CR program for he took all of the A-holes out of DE and put them in one place

Old 11-02-2007, 12:00 AM
Ernie J
Pro

DE with Transponders.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:35 PM
Dennis OKeefe
1st Gear

Talking Trophies

I am glad too see that A. Wayne admitted he was joking about Boycotting Sebring. We work very hard to make the PCA 48 Hours at Sebring the premier race in the country, and wait until you see what we have done for trophies in 2008, awsome. Yes, I wish other events would give more thought to the trophies, many of them are a joke so either do it right or don't do it at all. Bye the way, did you see that there are night races at Sebring for 2008??
Old 11-09-2007, 03:56 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for reviving this because I got a Mosport Race award in the mail and I wanted to give them the credit they deserve. It's one picture (of me) overlayed on top of another (generic class shot) with some text. It's really cool.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:59 PM
944TURBOS
Racer

Man I hate to beat a dead horse, but I had a discussion about how horrible the PCA awards were with someone last night and I figured there has to be a way to make a little more noise. A good friend of mine and I were discussing a couple of my races and he asked me what they gave me for winning. I said nothing as far as money goes (thats what he was referring to), then he asked if I got a trophy or anything. I showed him the papers I got at gingerman (nicer than the other races actually) and the mousepad from mid-ohio which was actually just laughable. It actually bothered me that we all show up, pay some very large sums of money and spend long amounts of time at this hobby away from family and friends, while our awards amount to little pieces of paper, mugs with nothing on them other than "pca club racing" and mousepads. I wish most of us could sway our individual regions into giving us something more memorable. Afterall, a lot of us will look back many years from now and want to have something to look at in memory of these events. I am even willing to pay a slightly higher fee if it would mean we could get something like a trophy.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:53 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Anyone who helps organize an event up for commenting on how much money a Region makes or loses putting an event on?

Quick Reply: WHERE HAVE ALL THE TROPHIES GONE?