Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 03:35 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Pete
Wayne,
I know you had to throw that dig against MS, but last year the Michelin tires were better than the Bridgestone tires and both Renault and McLaren had them. I still remember MS passing Kimi in the closing stages of that race. A thing of beauty.

Once again, no one can tell me what the hell he is talking about with Yamamoto?

Hamilton is arguably the best rookie to come into F1. The WC was his to lose and he did, however, I have no doubt when he retires, he will have won multiple WC.

When McLaren and the British press gloss over his mistakes it's a disservice to him as at this level of motorsport, its the person who makes the least mistakes that wins. They should objectively look at his performance and make sure he knows about them and does not repeat them, but as was the case in China, why blame the team for LH beaching it? Why do they not even mention the fact he shouldn't have been racing against Kimi in China and eating away at his tires or Alonso on the first lap in Brazil? I have seen no mention of this in the British press.

When a certain senior driver, that shall go unnamed, made mistakes last year, everyone said that he didnt make those mistakes in the past and he was too old and should retire. Conversely, Lewis is too young and made unbelievable mistakes. Mistakes that he didn't make in the early part of the season. If he is made to believe that everything is not his fault, then God help us how his ego will be when he does win one.
Originally Posted by Nano
I agree 99.9% Pete, for the same reason, I think Bernie's comments are a disgrace to F1 and Hamilton, they do Hamilton no honor, he is better than that.

I have nothing against hamilton, he's proven to be competitive and has a roaring fire within that makes everyone else pale in comparisson. He made mistakes, but he was grossly miss managed this year, he is somewhat a victim of Mclaren (read Ron Dennis).

Agree with the Lewis analogy , but dis-agree on the tire Issue, MS drove on custom spec Bridgestones for years and i never heard any grumble about it , as soon as his opposition wins the bridgestones are crap ! The Michelins where not the best tires last year it was the bridgestones, MS proved this especially in the later races .
With everyone riding on Spec Bridgestones , we can now clearly see the tire wearing culprits....
Old 10-26-2007, 03:48 PM
Nano
Racer

Wayne, 2005 (except for Indianapolis fiasco) and 2006 Michelin had equal, it not superior tires than bridgestone (or the Ferrari bridgestone if you prefer).
Old 10-26-2007, 04:07 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Wow, I really underestimated this thread going to page 17 -- we are close to 22!

Perhaps this will be the official 2007 - 2008 F1 off season thread?
Old 10-26-2007, 04:09 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Wayne, 2005 (except for Indianapolis fiasco) and 2006 Michelin had equal, it not superior tires than bridgestone (or the Ferrari bridgestone if you prefer).
Not sure how you are determining that NANO , races where won by a Bridgestone Ferrari and a Michelin Renault ...... Renault where hampered by a lot of strange penalties , Mass damper setback , Alonso's strange penalty at Monza etc. Mclaren on Michelins also won Nada, Zippo , nothing in 06 .... The new rules for 05 left MS dead in the water , Why , his driving style is very similar to Hamilton and he wears the donkey dung out of his tires , both are excellent Kart racers and have similar driving Styles , I had 05 spot on for MS , no tire changes no WDC , for 05 and 06 the tire gains moved back and forth , 05 more towards michelin 06, Bridgestones.......
Old 10-26-2007, 04:20 PM
Nano
Racer

It's all speculation, it is impossible to know exactly how the ferrari bridgetones did compared to the other bridgestone had they had equal development, but you can still get feedback and performance of bridgestone vs michelin throughout the season. Example, one big issue for me being toyota moving to Bridgestone in 2006 after a decent 2005 and did nada, I would considere toyota as a top team at end of 2005, with ample support from bridgestone. Performance of renault vs mclaren on bridgestone this year is more speculative. Or Renault was on renault spec Michelin?
Old 10-26-2007, 04:54 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

It's all speculation, it is impossible to know exactly how the ferrari bridgetones did compared to the other bridgestone had they had equal development, but you can still get feedback and performance of bridgestone vs michelin throughout the season. Example, one big issue for me being toyota moving to Bridgestone in 2006 after a decent 2005 and did nada, I would considere toyota as a top team at end of 2005, with ample support from bridgestone. Performance of renault vs mclaren on bridgestone this year is more speculative. Or Renault was on renault spec Michelin?
I was comparing 06 mclaren with 06 renault ...
Old 10-26-2007, 05:55 PM
Nano
Racer

I was comparing 06 mclaren with 06 renault too... but how can you campare development and difference only looking at 06? Compare 05 renault with 05 mclaren, 05 toyota with 06 toyota, 05 ferrari with 06 ferrari, and various combinations team vs team year vs year as well. The brigestone one-car tire supremacy ended in 05, michelin clearly had "better" suited tires in 05. In 06, the game got even with the 2006 rule change, that's why I'm saying in 06 they were pretty much equal. 06 brigestone were as much ferrari spec as the michelin were renault spec.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:02 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

I was comparing 06 mclaren with 06 renault too... but how can you campare development and difference only looking at 06? Compare 05 renault with 05 mclaren, 05 toyota with 06 toyota, 05 ferrari with 06 ferrari, and various combinations team vs team year vs year as well. The brigestone one-car tire supremacy ended in 05, michelin clearly had "better" suited tires in 05. In 06, the game got even with the 2006 rule change, that's why I'm saying in 06 they were pretty much equal. 06 brigestone were as much ferrari spec as the michelin were renault spec.
Nano , I acknowledge that maybe in 05 michelin had the advantage , but not in 06 , hence the comparison between 06 mclaren and Renault , Only Renault was able to challenge ferrari in 06 , while in 05 both Michelin front runners won races ..
Old 10-26-2007, 07:18 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,334 Likes on 1,973 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Nano , I acknowledge that maybe in 05 michelin had the advantage , but not in 06 , hence the comparison between 06 mclaren and Renault , Only Renault was able to challenge ferrari in 06 , while in 05 both Michelin front runners won races ..

LMAO. Damn, that was funny. I needed that after this week.

Oh yee of little memory. Even if you say the M and B tires were equal in 06, don't discount the wet races, specifically in Hungary when the Bridgestone runners couldn't even keep touch with the Michelin runners.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:06 AM
Nano
Racer

Michelin tires were better suited for longer stints, hence their huge advantage in 05 (except when they started imploding at indianapolis). In 06 the tire rule changed again, leveling out the playing field (ie: development). Toyota on Michelin in 05 was challenging Ferrari, in 06 on brigestones they were at bottom, yet Honda on Michelin was extremely competitive. Renault was challenging Ferrari. Bmw wasn't doing all bad, and Mclaren was somewhat competitive (not as much as in 05 obviously). Of course there is a lot of conjectures, but no way can anyone say Ferrari had magic grippy brigestones in 06. (not the only "top" team to use them anymore, and new rules).

Originally Posted by M3Pete
Oh yee of little memory. Even if you say the M and B tires were equal in 06, don't discount the wet races, specifically in Hungary when the Bridgestone runners couldn't even keep touch with the Michelin runners.
Or Shangai's where no one would have bet 2 cents on MS... then he pulled through and won, but that's because well, he's Schumacher.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF1ONPSo5As

Last edited by Nano; 10-27-2007 at 12:55 AM.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:27 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Ahhh the swingers , well while we are at it what about these .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAmbIdwcmSo

Or schooled on the wet line like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojG1T9SGdHY

But what do i know , Being Tyre engineers you guys know exactly when it is schumacher and when it is the tyres
Old 10-27-2007, 01:44 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Villeneuve pulled a pretty good outside pass on Schmacher here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFlzEFlB_F8
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 10-27-2007, 02:47 AM
Nano
Racer

But what do i know , Being Tyre engineers you guys know exactly when it is schumacher and when it is the tyres
Not surprising, the Michelin were far superior in wet conditions. In shangai the race started wet and the brigestone cars were all over the place, as the track dried up they came back. The merit of MS in Shangai was that he was able to hang with the Renault, on inferior equipment until the track started drying up.

Nope massa wasn't giving up positions. Can you give credit where it is due? There are MS swingers, and then there are the opposite swingers. You're swinging a bit too far here... It was an amazing MS performance, and how he lined up Alonso 3 corners before overtaking is just text-book flawless.

Don't let hate overcome logic

Last edited by Nano; 10-27-2007 at 03:16 AM.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:19 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Ahhh the swingers , well while we are at it what about these .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAmbIdwcmSo

IIRC, wasn't it generally accepted a while back that Schumacher was an exceptional driver in the rain? IIRC, the term 'Rainmeister' was often used on the broadcasts as he continually set fast lap in the wet.

IIRC, it was also generally accepted that Michelin had a clear superiority on extreme wets while Bridgestone had a clear superiority on standard wets (or inters if you prefer that term).
Old 10-27-2007, 12:15 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,334 Likes on 1,973 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
IIRC, wasn't it generally accepted a while back that Schumacher was an exceptional driver in the rain? IIRC, the term 'Rainmeister' was often used on the broadcasts as he continually set fast lap in the wet.

IIRC, it was also generally accepted that Michelin had a clear superiority on extreme wets while Bridgestone had a clear superiority on standard wets (or inters if you prefer that term).
The answers are Yes. Yes. And Yes. You did read it correctly.

We will now hear from the peanut gallery. Wayne, the floor is yours.

Quick Reply: 2007 GP Brasil de Fórmula 1