Sponsored by:

McLaren fined but drivers OK

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 02:21 PM
mamoroso
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default McLaren fined but drivers OK

Just read the headline from Ansa (Italian news agency)

McLaren points for the 2007 season will be zeroed
McLaren will be fined $100m
The drivers retain their points in the championship....

I guess it can all be appealed by the parts.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:31 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If this is true, yikes. Hell of a way for the scuderia to pick up the manufacturers title.

No post on formula1.com yet... so still watching eagerly.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Do the drivers get to continue to gain points for the rest of the season? Do they get to keep racing and scoring drivers points but no constructors points? Doesn't seem right for the drivers to keep gaining points but not the team. If the team doesn't get points, the drivers shouldn't either.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:37 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's the Planet F-1 link

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,1895...726904,00.html
Old 09-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorris3
Do the drivers get to continue to gain points for the rest of the season? Do they get to keep racing and scoring drivers points but no constructors points? Doesn't seem right for the drivers to keep gaining points but not the team. If the team doesn't get points, the drivers shouldn't either.
+1

This should've been similar penalty FIA gave to Toyota rally team in 1995 sicne if the team benefited from the illegal info, clearly the drivers benefited from it too.

Ah crap, in any case, this years Championship is kinda screwed up because of this.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:55 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
+1

This should've been similar penalty FIA gave to Toyota rally team in 1995 sicne if the team benefited from the illegal info, clearly the drivers benefited from it too.

Ah crap, in any case, this years Championship is kinda screwed up because of this.
Ohh Yeah, peg that , trying to get Kimi to win by default arn't we ........
Old 09-13-2007, 03:17 PM
gab997
Racer

Just glad it is some what done with for now.. Guess there will be echoes for quite some time. Just curious where will the 100m be going 50/50 Split with Max and Bernie.. LOL Hopefully a good race this weekend at Spa. Four races to go, 3 points, Alonso to take drivers championship away from Lewis..
Old 09-13-2007, 03:25 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

From http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=40651

"However, due to the exceptional circumstances in which the FIA gave the team’s drivers an immunity in return for providing evidence, there is no penalty in regard to drivers’ points."

I have really mixed feelings on this. On the one hand I hate to see the driver lose their effort due to a "team issue". On the other hand if the McLaren car is faster due to using the Ferrari data as it would seem the FIA suggests due to their penalty then Hamilton and Alonso are not in fair fight among the rest of the grid. Who is to say that Hamilton and FA are not 1-2 in points BECAUSE of the data. I guess if the team is penalized because they used the information to improve the cars then the drivers are also faster due to the same thing. It may not be the driver's fault, but they did potential benefit and should see some penatly. So is it that Hamilton and Alonso are better than Kimi and Massa or it it just an illeagal car that made they faster all year?
Old 09-13-2007, 03:29 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

^ +1.
Alonso skated on this one. I don't think he'll be with McLaren next season
Old 09-13-2007, 03:34 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Ohh Yeah, peg that , trying to get Kimi to win by default arn't we ........
Hell yeah!

Seriously though, if/since they benefited from the faster car and/or better strategy, they need to get something taken away also.
Old 09-13-2007, 03:34 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M758

"However, due to the exceptional circumstances in which the FIA gave the team’s drivers an immunity in return for providing evidence, there is no penalty in regard to drivers’ points."

I have really mixed feelings on this. On the one hand I hate to see the driver lose their effort due to a "team issue". On the other hand if the McLaren car is faster due to using the Ferrari data as it would seem the FIA suggests due to their penalty then Hamilton and Alonso are not in fair fight among the rest of the grid. Who is to say that Hamilton and FA are not 1-2 in points BECAUSE of the data. I guess if the team is penalized because they used the information to improve the cars then the drivers are also faster due to the same thing. It may not be the driver's fault, but they did potential benefit and should see some penatly. So is it that Hamilton and Alonso are better than Kimi and Massa or it it just an illeagal car that made they faster all year?
+1
Old 09-13-2007, 03:37 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M758

LOL,
Is there any doubt that Ham and Alonso are the 2 best drivers in F1 ....
The data don't make theracer better and Kimi and Massa has just been out raced regardless of where the mclaren started .....

Ahhh Ch*t this is too much , i need a drink , You won't need this bottle finn , i think i will taste this thing
Old 09-13-2007, 03:40 PM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Hell yeah!

Seriously though, if/since they benefited from the faster car and/or better strategy, they need to get something taken away also.
What are you talking about?! The reason McLaren is faster is all due to Alonso's contribution to the team! He brought all that speed, and by golly, he seems to be getting nothing back!
Old 09-13-2007, 03:41 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
LOL,
Is there any doubt that Ham and Alonso are the 2 best drivers in F1 ....
The data don't make theracer better and Kimi and Massa has just been out raced regardless of where the mclaren started .....

We all know about your love affair with Alonso but now you're even kissing Hamilton?! Lay off the bottle, and quickly please!
Old 09-13-2007, 03:43 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

We all know about your love affair with Alonso but now you're even kissing Hamilton?! Lay off the bottle, and quickly please!
Dude i had picked Ham to beat Kimi in the WC , REMEMBER and was taken to task for picking a rookie SO PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEE.....Burp

Quick Reply: McLaren fined but drivers OK