Sponsored by:

Townsend Bell Rocks - F1 on Speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 04:38 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Townsend Bell Rocks - F1 on Speed

Davis Hobbs is out this weekend and Speed has put Townsend Bell in his place. I thought Townsend did an awesome job and I really hope they add him to the show. He offers an insight into modern F1 cars and the driver mindset that has really been lacking in the Speed broadcast. It was clear that he knew every turn on the track like the back of his hand, he could also tell you what every **** and button in the cockpit did. No offense to Hobbs, he is entertaining, but his knowledge of modern F1 cars doesn't hold a candle to Townsend. I learned more in the 10 minutes or so of Townsend's commentary than I have all season on Speed.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:17 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here here!
Old 09-08-2007, 05:31 PM
JayP
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like Hobbs' perception. He can pick up on little things that would normally get away. I'll admit he's not the perfect commentator but he has a great sense of humor.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:42 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 886 Posts

Plus Hobbs is invariably intoxicated before the race starts, which makes it even more entertaining.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:49 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

And Hobbs can fall asleep at any time making for interesting segues. So I've been told by people who have done booth work with him.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 886 Posts

Funny Hobbs story: during the 2001 Monaco GP, my wife & I were watching on Speed. The cameras invariably show some of the abundance of showpussy hanging around the pit area, and at this particular instance, the showed a lovely young woman who was David Coulthard's then-current girlfriend.

Varsha announced, "And there is David Coulthard's lovely new girlfriend"....whereupon Hobbs mumbled (almost sotto voce), "Well, if she plays her cars right, she can be my girlfriend, too."

You heard immediate laughter in the studio, followed by all the mics being immediately cut off for about 15 seconds. When they came back, Varsha could barely speak w/o snickering, and Hobbs wasn't heard from for maybe another 15 minutes or so.

It was epic.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:13 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Hobbs is funny and charismatic I'm not saying they should get rid of him, but Townsend brings a new, much needed dimension to the cast.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:38 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Agree Bell , did add a new dimension to speed, but i would not trade for Hobbs,
I would trade for Machet , if i had to choose, or alternate them.

Hobbs is a real character , his antics are no act , I have been privey to just how much when he used to race for BMW and shortly after when he used to do vintage races , Usually redman or Posey is on the recieving end ... The girl comment is also funny as his head would rotate to look all the chics going by while conversing, seriously about racing and setups , never skipping a beat...mind you this was almost 20 years ago , I have seen him once since then @ the Inaugural and now defunct USGP @ Indy , I meet Varsha for the First time also as we both where doing the GP Tours deal , me as a guest , him as Guest Speaker , He fits right in with Hobbs , Posey etc, same Kind of personality. It was Funny on the bus Heading back to Cinci in the evenings , Varsha would have an F1 pop Quiz's It was amazing to see so much F1 fans not really know much about the history of F1.....

So yes i would like David to stay , leave Bell to replace Machet and of Course Varsha, who believe it or not was an Attorney , before jumping fulltime to F1 commentry........
Old 09-08-2007, 07:25 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just add, don't subtract. I don't want to see Machet, Hobbs, or Varsha going.

Bill Seifert

1987 944S Race Car
Old 09-08-2007, 07:37 PM
fuenfer
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree -- I like Matchett, Hobbs and Varsha, too. That said, I thought Townsend Bell's insights were great, too, and would like to see him join the team!
Old 09-08-2007, 09:25 PM
carreracup21
Three Wheelin'

I laughed at the comment about Rubens coming out of the sand, and messing up someone's lap - I think it was Fisichella ? Anyway, Townsend, speaking about Rubens gaff, said something like, "Well he learned from the best".
Old 09-08-2007, 09:26 PM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

And let's not forget the reason he is absent this weekend... his sister passed away
Old 09-08-2007, 09:36 PM
rsrdan
Racer

I couldn't imagine watching F1 without the trio..and yes Hobbs is a hoot! and my wife gets it!!
Old 09-08-2007, 09:40 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha;

Never got to listen long enough to find out who that exceptionally articulate, knowledgable chap was. Varsha is my favorite motorsports announcer, bar none. Matchett has become quite good as well. I like Hobbs for all of his color too, but Bell was spectacular.

If I could only have two, it would be Varsha and BELL!
Old 09-08-2007, 10:24 PM
JayP
Pro

Oh- one more for David... he was in Stroker Ace.

Quick Reply: Townsend Bell Rocks - F1 on Speed