Sponsored by:

Townsend Bell Rocks - F1 on Speed

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 10:38 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 267 Likes on 200 Posts

Wow Colthards girlfriend, I thought for sure Hobbs was sleeping with Mark Webber !
Old 09-08-2007, 11:00 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,568 Likes on 2,122 Posts

Bell has been great this weekend, I've learned a lot regarding what a modern F1 driver is thinking and doing. I'd add him and not subtract anyone. Hobbs is the equivalent to "Dandy" Don Meradith on Monday Night Football with Howard Cosell.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:05 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,723 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
Wow Colthards girlfriend, I thought for sure Hobbs was sleeping with Mark Webber !
I don't know who he sleeps with, but he sure thought Coulthard's then-girlfriend was quite the hot little bird.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:18 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
I don't know who he sleeps with, but he sure thought Coulthard's then-girlfriend was quite the hot little bird.

DC was the pitlane WC every year because of Such
Old 09-08-2007, 11:31 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 973 Likes on 591 Posts

I remember Hobbs was a character back when I saw him racing Formula 5000 at Road America in the mid 70's! I have a picture my brother in law took of him at Daytona with Ronnie Peterson (driving a bimmer) I'd love to have autographed!

Bell was good- just add him to the mix, and yes his comment about learning from the best was priceless!

And damn, Monza is a REAL track!!!! And Spa is next!!! Doesn't get any better than this!

(DC always seems to have a real HOT girlfriend...)
Old 09-08-2007, 11:35 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Just add, don't subtract. I don't want to see Machet, Hobbs, or Varsha going.
Bill Seifert

And Derrick Daley is great covering the shifter carts.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:48 PM
JayP
Pro

Originally Posted by renvagn
And Derrick Daley is great covering the shifter carts.
I think his son is in the series he has been covering.

Racer-turn-Commentators don't usually work out. Daley, Sullivan, Wallace (I'm suffering with him right now). Wasn't Cheever doing color at some point? I prolly tried to forget that...

The flipside- Kyle Petty has on some Speed show... speaking his mind and not getting busted by NASCAR. That's new.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:24 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JayP
I think his son is in the series he has been covering.

Racer-turn-Commentators don't usually work out. Daley, Sullivan, Wallace (I'm suffering with him right now). Wasn't Cheever doing color at some point? I prolly tried to forget that...

The flipside- Kyle Petty has on some Speed show... speaking his mind and not getting busted by NASCAR. That's new.

Not with the name Petty it's not ....
Old 09-09-2007, 03:36 PM
171mph
Racer

Bell thinks he knows more than he actually does however. He made the comment that the lack of wing at monza meant it was an equalizer across the teams since lower teams can't afford the tunnel testing etc. only to be countered a few minutes later by mark webber saying that the aero under the car is so important and a reason why the lower teams can't compete witht mclaren at this track
Old 09-09-2007, 03:47 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 171mph
Bell thinks he knows more than he actually does however. He made the comment that the lack of wing at monza meant it was an equalizer across the teams since lower teams can't afford the tunnel testing etc. only to be countered a few minutes later by mark webber saying that the aero under the car is so important and a reason why the lower teams can't compete witht mclaren at this track

There is some truth to both statements , look at how well cars did in Q2, like toro rosso , Webber was describing the advantage the bigger teams have, bell statement is still valid , Monza is more about BHP and Mechanical grip , with aero being the underbody , no matter what the rules the bigger teams will have the advantage , hence webbers statement ....
Old 09-09-2007, 06:57 PM
Ephraim
Addict
Rennlist Member

My take on the announcers is that Hobbs makes me laugh, Townsend Bell had me paying attention and Matchett generally makes me cringe.

I'd like to see them add Bell to the team and see if he can keep it interesting.

Did anyone else watch this weeks Friday qualifying where Matchett thanked the Ferrari club guys for inviting hime to Watkins Glen where he got a offered a ride in a 360 CS and bailed out after getting the harness cinched up? I can see having a phobia that would affect you but why tell the Speed audience so all 20 of us watching Friday practice would think...."you have to be kidding me..."

My other nit was when the annoucers were "analyzing" the problem BMW had during the race in the pit getting Kubica's car on the front stand. It seemed they thought the root cause was the jack didn't match up with the new wing they made for the Italian GP. Well why didn't they have this "new wing" problem when they did the 20 or so pit stops during the two Friday practices, Saturday warm up, three Saturday qualifying session and the Sunday warm up? Come on, whatever it was it wasn't that.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:06 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Good point on the "wing problem"
It seemed to me that the guy was trying to get the jack away by pulling it from the top thereby laying it down a little allowing the other end to catch on the car chassis. If he had pulled it away from a lower vantage point it would not have laid down as much and not gotten caught.

Isn't this the team that used an hydrolic jack in the front previously?
Old 09-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
Good point on the "wing problem"
It seemed to me that the guy was trying to get the jack away by pulling it from the top thereby laying it down a little allowing the other end to catch on the car chassis. If he had pulled it away from a lower vantage point it would not have laid down as much and not gotten caught.
Seemed to me that the guy was either a rookie & things got fouled up, or he just panicked when things went wrong trying to lift the car, and his brain just shut down.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 09-09-2007, 11:08 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Seemed to me that the guy was either a rookie & things got fouled up, or he just panicked when things went wrong trying to lift the car, and his brain just shut down.
Decided to come clean Huh
Old 09-09-2007, 11:35 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Decided to come clean Huh
Moi? I could do better. I'm pretty mean with a hand truck you know.

Quick Reply: Townsend Bell Rocks - F1 on Speed